PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter on ZD30

rochjas
21st September 2013, 04:24 PM
Well after much thought and reflection.... lol a lot of that... I managed to pluck up the courage to change my fuel filter on my ZD30 Patrol... Well what a drama... firstly the old one was a bit$h to get off... ended up hammering a long thick screw driver thru it... Then changed out the bottom sensor and found all this jelly like brownish gunk in the old fuel filter...

Filled up the new one.... refitted and I could not for the life of me get it to pump up with diesel.... got a mate to have a look and he couldn't work it out either... so I started the Patrol thinking maybe just maybe it will just work.... No No No!!!... so looking under the bonnet and getting that sinking feeling in my tummy.... I thought (looking at my primer) that looks loose... so I tightened up the little screw on the plunger and pumped 7 times and what would know..... it primed up.... I started the Patrol.... and wow I did it... lol...:victory:

Hodge
21st September 2013, 04:34 PM
Gotta love it when things work out in the end! Success. And now you're more confident at changing over the filter.

Sir Roofy
21st September 2013, 06:10 PM
Mmm bit harsh on the old filter but well done anyway

scotty83
21st September 2013, 06:35 PM
Nice work congrats. I am a bit like that with my radiator at the moment.

rochjas
21st September 2013, 07:40 PM
Hearing you about the radiator ..... might need to work up to that one ��

mudski
21st September 2013, 10:06 PM
Mmm bit harsh on the old filter but well done anyway
Never! I use that method, or similar everytime. Old screwdriver and hammer and tap around the rim of the filter. Quicker that trying to fit a filter removing tool there.

4WD DUDE
23rd September 2013, 10:31 AM
Nice one, you can't let that filter beat you :clapping:

mudski
23rd September 2013, 06:51 PM
No filter beats a screwdriver and a whollop with a hammer.:p

mattkinger
30th September 2013, 09:36 PM
Nice work! I changed mine last weekend and found it full of gunk as well. Replaced all the filters, it feels a lot better with a new set of lungs!

Lionel84
1st October 2013, 12:55 AM
Well done!! Hahaha. It's a good feeling to change out a dirty bastard for a new one and get it all cleaned up nicely.

Good work on tightening the screw on the primer :)

my third 256
1st October 2013, 08:36 AM
atleast the crd are a bit easier to change

my third 256
1st October 2013, 08:42 AM
atleast the crd is easier to change being a closed system / just remove the hoses and a couple of screws

steve4377
1st October 2013, 08:21 PM
You might wanna treat your fuel with bug killer. The jelly gunk caused my filter to clog completely and stopped the car, so a new filter without treating the fuel may cause you dramas in the next month or so. The treatment kills any bugs in the tank and then you should not have any future dramas. A filter wrench makes the change over easy too. Just sayin'.

Good luck.

AJTich
19th October 2013, 10:17 PM
That is funny. Today i did the same thing...That is funny. Today i did the same thing... My mate came over and showed me the Primer screw, and it pumped up noice.

Shaun 4x4
20th October 2013, 01:15 AM
Gonna change my fuel filter tomorrow on my zd30. Do the fuel lines need to be disconnected or is it just screw of old one and screw on new one?