PDA

View Full Version : Freewheel hubs

rafa
21st September 2013, 12:26 PM
What's the go with free wheeling hubs?

Is better to to take the hubs out when back on black top? If so why?

I'm not very mechanics so sorry if it seems a dumb question

Cheers

Marty

happygu
21st September 2013, 12:30 PM
Rafa,

If you unlock the hubs, you will let the front wheel rotate free, without turning the gears inside the diff.

It will give you slightly better fuel economy too, as there will be less drag on the driveline.

Mic

Parksy
21st September 2013, 12:32 PM
Having the front wheels locked to the diff will cause unnecessary wear and tear but the main reason is the drag created causing worse fuel economy. It's good to lock them occasionally and go for a quick spin just to lube everything up.

Edit: Ahh beaten. Thanks happygtu.

rafa
21st September 2013, 12:44 PM
Cheers guys. Just did 800 km track n creeks so used 4wd. Now back on bitumen heading for Darwin. Took hubs out. Thanks.

janderson
21st September 2013, 07:21 PM
also if you leave them in lock on bitumen to much you risk diff windup

Clunk
21st September 2013, 07:41 PM
also if you leave them in lock on bitumen to much you risk diff windup

Only if your in 4wd as well mate.

rafa
22nd September 2013, 09:22 AM
So, I know this will sound dumb, but have to ask it. If I forgot to put the hubs back in lock, the 4wd does not engage at all?

Cheers.

Parksy
22nd September 2013, 09:24 AM
Yep exactly.

92GQ
22nd September 2013, 09:30 AM
My Nissan GQ owners manual says to put the hubs in for at least 16kms a month.
...Thinking of going for a run up Teewah beech now :D

trekster
22nd September 2013, 08:36 PM
So, I know this will sound dumb, but have to ask it. If I forgot to put the hubs back in lock, the 4wd does not engage at all?

Cheers.

It depends on if you have auto locking hubs or not,

My GU has auto locking hubs, but whenever I want to do some wheeling before I leave I just manually lock them in, there is no risk of them unlocking then unlike auto where they can!

cheers,
Eric.

mudski
22nd September 2013, 08:52 PM
It depends on if you have auto locking hubs or not,

My GU has auto locking hubs, but whenever I want to do some wheeling before I leave I just manually lock them in, there is no risk of them unlocking then unlike auto where they can!

cheers,
Eric.
Remove the auto plate in your hubs Eric then they will me manual locking hubs...Did that to mine as every now an then the auto hubs will try to engage whilst on the black top. not often, but enough to make me do the mod.