PDA

View Full Version : Gq headlight design

Lawrence
21st September 2013, 02:54 AM
Hi fellas, i was checking my headlights last night, and I realised that the headlight grill design might be the reason that none of the lighting pattern comes close to the vehicle. The road home has a lot of corners and no street light and no part of the light comes close to lighting up the corners. The beam pattern just isnt wide enough but the way how the headlights are sunk into the grill also limits the light spread. Other vehicle types seem to have the beam closer to the front of the vehicle. Is it my hellas, which are very good for distance or is it the design of the grill? I remember having a better spread on the Mk i had. although it could also have been the Koito headlights which are said to be better than the Hellas.

Robo
21st September 2013, 03:57 AM
I gave the hella's the flick.
they were good in their day.
but that's been and gone now there are crystal lenses available.
and cheaper than hella ever were or are to date.
I love mine, I removed the internal globe covers, that gave them a big boost in out-put and beam spread
Someone here in AU is selling converted crystals, search on forum.
He's located in Newcastle from memory.
Just check you can use em legally etc

Later model Q's came with extra lights fitted in front guard near blinkers that come on with the blinkers to assist seeing.
(forget the arrows they are there for something else)

Lawrence
21st September 2013, 04:31 AM
I gave the hella's the flick.
they were good in their day.
but that's been and gone now there are crystal lenses available.
and cheaper than hella ever were or are to date.
I love mine, I removed the internal globe covers, that gave them a big boost in out-put and beam spread
Just check you can use em legally etc

Later model Q's came with extra lights fitted in front guard near blinkers that come on with the blinkers to assist seeing.
(forget the arrows they are there for something else)

Some of the later Qs had corner lamps, but it seems a particular spec. The Hellas seem to have been made for the Autobahn as they have a terrific throw sort of pencil like on high beam. Great for high speed driving on a fairly straight road. Maybe I should remove the shield then, I was not sure if I should as I understand it would blind oncoming traffic but I think that the h4 bulb already comes with a shield for that

Lawrence
21st September 2013, 04:32 AM
I have tried crystals but I wasn't terribly impressed.

Drewboyaus
21st September 2013, 07:58 AM
I run upgraded lights using IPF semi sealed reflectors. They work for me.
Mind you my HID driving lights just about melt paint so provide plenty of light.
I will be adding an LED light bar which will fill in more of the sides and near field with more light.
Perhaps you need to check the alignment of your driving lights.
Headlights are really only designed for use in urban areas with street lighting.

Lawrence
21st September 2013, 08:09 AM
I run upgraded lights using IPF semi sealed reflectors. They work for me.
Mind you my HID driving lights just about melt paint so provide plenty of light.
I will be adding an LED light bar which will fill in more of the sides and near field with more light.
Perhaps you need to check the alignment of your driving lights.
Headlights are really only designed for use in urban areas with street lighting.

I don't have driving lights yet, but you cant have them on with oncoming traffic, even on dark country roads.

Drewboyaus
21st September 2013, 09:16 AM
Just noticed you are in Jamaica. I'm not sure what your laws are like but you ought to consider upgrading to either HID (H4) headlights or an upgraded headlight wiring loom and globes. The light pattern on my GQ is fine but the original sealed beam lights are piss-weak.

Robo
21st September 2013, 12:48 PM
I have tried crystals but I wasn't terribly impressed.

I to thought the same when I installed crystal lenes.
remove the internal cover and the difference is outstanding
Light output jumps up 50-70% more.
and thats with a standard type 55 watt globe.
I removed cover 1 at a time and compared em together at night.
remarkable difference and focus is still excellent if not even better.
And then try the + 50% or more out put globes, you do the math
long nose pliers to pull cover threw globe hole.
just be careful not to scratch lens internally.

"There is no way in hell I would go back to anything else, Robo".

someone mentioned h4 comes with a sheild,
yes the tip of globe should be painted.
stay away from blue tinted glass.
and your after 4500 to 6000 kelvin colour output.
below 4500 yellowish.
above 6000 starts to go blue,
blue is crap doesn't bounce light back to you on a wet rd.
blue even dangerous and is less light anyway.

Yendor
21st September 2013, 02:37 PM
Headlights need the correct power for them to perform at ultimate level.

If you have a couple of volts dropped at the headlights this will greatly reduce the light output.

As Drewboyaus mentioned an upgraded wire harness and relays might make a big difference.

Lawrence
24th September 2013, 01:01 AM
I to thought the same when I installed crystal lenes.
remove the internal cover and the difference is outstanding
Light output jumps up 50-70% more.
and thats with a standard type 55 watt globe.
I removed cover 1 at a time and compared em together at night.
remarkable difference and focus is still excellent if not even better.
And then try the + 50% or more out put globes, you do the math
long nose pliers to pull cover threw globe hole.
just be careful not to scratch lens internally.

"There is no way in hell I would go back to anything else, Robo".

someone mentioned h4 comes with a sheild,
yes the tip of globe should be painted.
stay away from blue tinted glass.
and your after 4500 to 6000 kelvin colour output.
below 4500 yellowish.
above 6000 starts to go blue,
blue is crap doesn't bounce light back to you on a wet rd.
blue even dangerous and is less light anyway.

Thanks, definitely going to remove the shield this time. 50 - 70% is a lot of improbement..tried the blue lights and they made things worse, until I read Daniel Stern's website.

Lawrence
24th September 2013, 01:04 AM
Headlights need the correct power for them to perform at ultimate level.

If you have a couple of volts dropped at the headlights this will greatly reduce the light output.

As Drewboyaus mentioned an upgraded wire harness and relays might make a big difference.
Upgraded with relays long ago. No problem with brightness (100/80) but only the width.

BigRAWesty
24th September 2013, 05:42 AM
I find my Hellas and 60-110 globes are fine with the spread and spot.
I have aligned mine so they are parted down the road, and the low beam spread is great.
My spotties make up for the parted beams, but fine without them also.
My part is roughly 2 lanes wide at 100m

Lawrence
24th September 2013, 05:56 AM
I find my Hellas and 60-110 globes are fine with the spread and spot.
I have aligned mine so they are parted down the road, and the low beam spread is great.
My spotties make up for the parted beams, but fine without them also.
My part is roughly 2 lanes wide at 100m
Define 'parted". Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that they are wider apart than normal?

BigRAWesty
24th September 2013, 06:31 AM
No no. I have angled the beams outward so at 100m There roughly 10m apart, instead of 2m. This has worked for me in bringing the low beam light around the car a bit more and provides better side of road light.
Mind you I think I'll be back to square 1 when I refit my bull bar as the light surround may obstruct the Light..

NissanGQ4.2
24th September 2013, 06:36 AM

That would be "Mick." great bloke, he use to be a vendor on here but no longer is, if you do a search u will still see some of his threads.

Lawrence
24th September 2013, 06:45 AM
No no. I have angled the beams outward so at 100m There roughly 10m apart, instead of 2m. This has worked for me in bringing the low beam light around the car a bit more and provides better side of road light.
Mind you I think I'll be back to square 1 when I refit my bull bar as the light surround may obstruct the Light..

Ok, so if I am understanding you correctly, you have done this at the expense of the high beam then. I know the Hellas have a fine line between getting the low and high beam both correct as compared to most others

BigRAWesty
24th September 2013, 06:48 AM
A little.. With them parted that much Its still plenty of light across the road and further on so Its still very drivable.
I drive 50k each day to work threw prime kangaroo realestate and pick up more roos than people with straight setup..

mick.
25th September 2013, 08:28 PM
That would be "Mick." great bloke, he use to be a vendor on here but no longer is, if you do a search u will still see some of his threads.That would be me.:D

Yes I can make your GQ lights like no other and I actually send them all over the world so it doesn't matter if you need LHD or RHD 12 volt or 24 volt I can make them to suit. I'm in the process of setting up a website but I mainly just trade though a vendors section on the other patrol forum.

This is just one low beam projector which was just taken with a phone so no trick photos. I'm about 15 meters back from the house and the beam is shooting in both the houses next door.lol

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/mickkk78/newballast070_zps0ea9d3ae.jpg (http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/mickkk78/media/newballast070_zps0ea9d3ae.jpg.html)

These pics below are taken by Matt a fellow member from here who has them in both his patrols. They where not adjusted at that stage though.

Low beam HID in reflector HID
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1234_zps2058e1c6.jpg

low beam in projector
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1296.jpg

high beam reflector HID
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1235_zps00091991.jpg

high beam in projector
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh493/nissannewby/IMG_1298.jpg

These pics don't really do the justice but the beam in my GU will go across 8 lanes of traffic and still have more.

Cheers Mick