PDA

View Full Version : Just bough a 2000 Patrol. creaking sound on take off

Fairlane
20th September 2013, 09:02 PM
Hi,
Three issues on my "new" Patrol
when I drive off the car creaks, sounds like a suspension issue but where to start looking?
also there is a definite clunk sometimes as if the drive train is taking up slack?
l any help is appreciated!
cheers

gaddy
20th September 2013, 09:16 PM
I'm no expert but I'd be checking the universal joints first

Ben-e-boy
20th September 2013, 09:20 PM
I would start looking at the suspension....all of it every nut, bolt and bush

AB
20th September 2013, 09:27 PM
Does the clunk only happen when taking off? Only when putting the foot down moderately hard not just a slow take off?

Check your drive shaft as well if the bolts may be loose at the front journal plate area. This happened to an old car I had with a clunk when you took off and was only loose bolts

Could be a million reasons why though. Process of elimination!

Any more info?

Parksy
20th September 2013, 09:27 PM
Broken engine mounts/gearbox mounts can give the impression of too much driveline slack. Hard to check unless you completely remove them. Generally the passenger side engine mount is the first to go. How many km on the car? You might be able to check with a torch and mirror for splits, but it isn't always obvious. Loading up the engine gently in the driveway and having someone watch the engine might give you an indication of too much movement.

Fairlane
20th September 2013, 10:01 PM
car has 200K km. as Nissans are new to me I thought it might be a known issue

NP99
20th September 2013, 10:22 PM
Radius arm bushes, body mounts, engine mounts, uni joints.......all detective work mate.

Fairlane
20th September 2013, 10:50 PM
yep just looking for a starting point!

Clunk
20th September 2013, 11:04 PM
Seriously mate, it really will be a process of elimination. Clunks, creeks, squeaks, moans and groans could be any number of things and it's not always easy to give a correct answer going off someone's description. Me personally, I'd get underneath, start at the front, or the rear if you prefer and systematically check everything.

Fairlane
21st September 2013, 07:42 AM
ok then thats the weekend plan, cheers

AB
21st September 2013, 08:44 AM
Like what parksy said. Grab a mate and get him to stand outside to try and at least isolate the area where it's coming from.

Thirsty
25th September 2013, 08:17 PM
I would also check your body mounts!!!
Cheers
Troy

NP99
25th September 2013, 10:36 PM
This vid might help you do some checking mate -

http://youtu.be/fReUfX6H_rs

@GUte
26th September 2013, 11:13 AM
Check radius arms to diff, rear control arms, upper and lower, panhard rods etc. I've had all these clunk at some stage. Mostly it's just a tightening up of bolts and nuts or the need for new bushes. Give them a really good strong tweak.

I had to add/weld plates to the diff where the radius arms bolt in as I couldn't keep them tight as they ovaled. It was suggested my bolts were stretching. Theory sounded valid so I fitted new grade 8 bolts/nuts. Still did it!

20 ton presses are cheap. One of my best purchases!

AB
26th September 2013, 07:17 PM
Did you get your mate to listen out yet or is it this weekends job?

Fairlane
29th September 2013, 06:40 PM
spent some time under the car this weekend. can't reproduce the sound by bouncing it or moving the steering etc. everything seems to be doing its thing under there. so this creaking sound (like an old wooden ship) is only under normal take off conditions. kind of hard to be under it when the car is moving.
I am tending to think it could be drive train related as in engine or gear box mounts. I will have a mechanic put it on a hoist and look over it.