PDA

View Full Version : Soon-to-be a Patrol owner - checklist before buying a ZD30

UndeadHomer
19th September 2013, 02:29 AM
Gidday,

first of all - a great forum, lots of information provided and it seems that there is a bunch of nice guys out here. Although I have been through the search function I would like to hear a few opinions before putting me money down.

[The big edited part] Fair enough - here comes the introduction. Name is Alex living in Perth and not new to 4WD. Enjoying the beaches down south and the odd track in the woods in the south western, mainly around Harvey. Currently driving a well-modified Pajero but looking to swap to a Diesel for more range per servo stop - I currently use 20+ litres unleaded per 100km which gives me a range of roughly 400km and even with the current Diesel prices I hope to be much better off on Diesel. I am fairly technically minded and did most of the maintenance and upgrading jobs myself and keen to keep that up on the Patrol as well ! You do it yourself - you know it has been done properly. Plus you grew a few brain cells (and killed em with a few stubbies during the job, ahaha !). Anyway...

I am planning to buy a Nissan Patrol, aiming for a GU3 ST 2003 and as most of the newbees I am a bit concerned about the grenading issue. My budget is around $20k. What odo reading is the max you would buy a GU3 with ? A lot of the offers in this price range have crossed the 200k mark, are they still save to buy or do I expect serious problems from there on ? I am fairly mechanically minded and can do most of the servicing myself and feel confident of installing the NADS parts. However if the engine was nearly fried by the previous owner how good are the chances that the engine does not blow up after NADS installation or is the damage already done ? Can I hear / spot / feel that the engine has been mistreated and is on its way to its gods ?

Any comments are very much appreciated - what specifically to look for at the test drive and inspection ? I am not new to the 4wd world, have been owning a Pajero for almost 6 years (still runs fine so I am not in a rush to buy the patrol) but want to swap to a Diesel engine eventually and love the looks of the GU3. TD42 is way out of my budget so ZD30 seems the only option.

I will use it 90% on the tarmac as daily drive but keen to continue offroading. Mainly beach driving and the odd weekender in the woods. Will graduately upgrade equipment, so a car with no equipment is not a deal breaker if the price is right. Looking forward to your replies - any tip is welcome !

And please feel free to move it to the appropriate forum. Still learning here...

oncedisturbed
19th September 2013, 05:06 AM
Hiya Homer, welcome to the forums.

We request that all new members pop on over to the intro section out of courtesy.

Personally I don't own a Zd30 so I can't offer much insight.

MEGOMONSTER
19th September 2013, 06:45 AM
There is plenty of info available on this subject. Try the search function to find what your looking for.

There are things you can do to prevent grenading, search NADS for heaps topics.

Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

threedogs
19th September 2013, 07:22 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum, plenty of tips and info here for you.
so jump in anytime and enjoy

History, history ,history

healy
19th September 2013, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

BigRAWesty
19th September 2013, 10:54 AM
Welcome mate. I'm sure the mods can move this across to the intros for you..

The best advice I can give is DON'T BUY ONE....
At 20 thou your in the market for a nice stock gu td42 or a kitted out nice gq td42..

Look around and don't rush.. The TD42 is known as bullet proof thus why you pay more..
If it's more of a play bus then this opens the petrol versions..
Heaps of blokes who will help out so if you have any questions or bounce buys Off us feel free.
Anyway enjoy the search..
Cheers

rusty_nail
19th September 2013, 10:56 AM
hi mate, welcome to the forum. great bunch here.

mods, do you want to move this to the introductions section?

UndeadHomer
19th September 2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks all for the lovely welcome - will work my way through the forum !

I have been trying to chase a GU TD4.2 wagon for nearly 6 months now with no joy unless one is willing to pay 30k+
Would certainly not mind to get my hands on one of these beasts, though !

BigRAWesty
20th September 2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks all for the lovely welcome - will work my way through the forum !

I have been trying to chase a GU TD4.2 wagon for nearly 6 months now with no joy unless one is willing to pay 30k+
Would certainly not mind to get my hands on one of these beasts, though !

What about a GQ? They look tougher..