PDA

View Full Version : Voltage boost fuses

threedogs
18th September 2013, 12:06 PM
Hi has anyone used these fuses that are supposed to increase the charge rate of your Alternator.

Maxhead
18th September 2013, 12:11 PM
I haven't used one but check this thread out from last year http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?14207-anyone-know-much-about-these-Nissan-GU-Patrol-Alternator-Voltage-Booster

threedogs
18th September 2013, 12:32 PM
Only read down to Yendor and after he said no that's good enough for me.

NP99
18th September 2013, 01:58 PM
Just like fuel saving devices.......

threedogs
18th September 2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks , $50 for a modified fuse seemed a bit steep

Yendor
18th September 2013, 03:55 PM
On some vehicles, like the newer LandCruisers, the ECU reduces the alternator output to help reduce fuel consumption.

This can cause problems when a second battery if fitted. From what I have heard fitting a voltage boost fuse helps overcome this.

TD, yes it is very expensive. It's only a diode placed inline with the fuse.

Winnie
18th September 2013, 04:30 PM
A mate of mine was told that in his new Hilux he would need a DC-DC charger to make dual batteries work, he had a regular dual battery isolator lying around so he tried it and has never looked back.

Yendor
18th September 2013, 05:04 PM
A mate of mine was told that in his new Hilux he would need a DC-DC charger to make dual batteries work, he had a regular dual battery isolator lying around so he tried it and has never looked back.

That's the downside to the interweb thingy :D

You get some people that will read something somewhere and then repost it with such conviction you think the information must be correct.

Winnie
18th September 2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah he was told that by ARB though, maybe they read it on the internet! bahahah

Yendor
18th September 2013, 05:16 PM
Yeah he was told that by ARB though, maybe they read it on the internet! bahahah

I wouldn't think so........more likely trying to improve their bottom line (allegedly)

typo368
18th September 2013, 10:50 PM
Are you serious, what a load of BS, Please do not buy and rip yourself off!!!
I have been in the trade for 20+ years,, Showed it too my boss, He couldn't stop laughing!!

IF you want to upgrade, Run a thicker wire to your Alternator to your battery, Also run a thicker earth lead to your chassis and engine! :)