PDA

View Full Version : Two child seats in the GQ - Rear drawer set up

AB
16th September 2013, 08:52 PM
I just realised something...lol

When my second child is born come April 2014 I will need to have 2 child seats as Mia will not be old enough nor heavy enough for a booster seat and I have the rear drawer system in the back..CRAP!

If I had of known this I would not have had a second child....JOKES!

I designed the drawer system originally to offset and still have room for the anchor point.

Anyways, I have no idea what to do now for the July Simpson trip I will most likely need both anchors available as I don't think Mia will be 20kg's so she can have a booster!

Drawer system will be a huge bonus for this trip so now I am left with three decisions.

1) Chop it back a foot to allow enough room for both anchors but loose a lot of storage but only will need 2 anchors for a 3-6 months at worse?
2) Take the whole system out, Put a cargo in and just rely on tubs for the Simpson trip and put it back in when my daughter is old enough?
3) Change her diet to KFC and fatty solids so she can bulk up before July...LMAO

I'm thinking option 2 unless any other ideas?

Also, has anyone done a drawer system to allow for child anchors, any pics?

Stupid question but are there any drawer systems designed for anchors?

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2013, 09:00 PM
What about a crab???

http://www.babybarndiscounts.com.au/products/Child-Restraints-Anchorage-Bar%7B47%7DCRAB.html

Would solve taking the storage system out

NissanGQ4.2
16th September 2013, 09:01 PM
Sh!t just seen the price

Strap the kids 2 the bull bar

Problem solved again *L*

Maxhead
16th September 2013, 09:01 PM
Yeah option 2 is looking good. You could install a crab bar behind the rear seats which would allow you to run drawers....and I think black widow was child ancor friendly or they had an option but not 100%
http://www.bwidow.com.au/child_restraints.htm

Winnie
16th September 2013, 09:18 PM
Ask Westy what he did because he just made a set of drawers not long ago and I remember child seats being part of his design?
Option 2 looks like a good temporary solution to me.

AB
16th September 2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks gents, hopefully westy sees this then.

I'm thinking option 2 for now then.

firm351
16th September 2013, 09:56 PM
I just got a crab bar fitted, pretty pricey at $380 but worth it as I need 3 anchor anchor points for the middle row of seats. It also good because it moves the anchor point to just behind the top of the seat back so now I have no straps going down to the floor.

MudRunnerTD
16th September 2013, 09:56 PM
Option 2 for sure mate. Sell the drawers you have made as they are no longer suitable.

Install a cargo barrier for keeps mate.

When 4wdrivng in the GQ Zach (8) is still in the largest chair I could buy with a full harness and a restraint through the floor and the belt. He sits in the centre in the back so he can see out the front and the Cargo Barrier guarantees what gets put in the back stays in the back.

Zach is just in a booster in the GUIV but to be honest he gets thrown around a bit in that if we went offroad. A proper chair is a winner mate, don't be in a hurry to get them out of it. iMO.

Once you have done that you have room for a water bladder behind the seat.

So you won't be ale to sleeping the car again but who cares mate. Roll the swag out, that's what it's for. I have 3 restraints across the back of the GQ and happy to show you what I have done mate at the October meet.

BigRAWesty
16th September 2013, 10:32 PM
Yea spewing mate.. I made mine fall just short it the anchor points, but my top self runs right through to seats and the straps pass threw a hole in the down to the body and the cargo barrier sits just behind these holes..
So sorry, no easy option here..

But honestly, how much will you loose.. My draws are still 900 long..
I'd sell yours and build new.. Surly some new ideas you'd like to incorporate in..

BigRAWesty
16th September 2013, 10:37 PM
But if you wanna buy I'm pretty sure all the big name draw systems have an option to incorporate child restraints into them as most use those bolts..

BigRAWesty
16th September 2013, 10:49 PM
Orrrrrr..
What the father in-law did once he thought his kid days were over a built a bigger system then the youngest split with psycho BF and moved back home with kid and needed a car....
He bought a long strap extension and used the rear top seat belt bolt...
Will be a pain with stuff stacked in the rear, but saves modding things..

AB
17th September 2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks bud, yeah I can't afford to buy a proper system at this time but I might just take it out for the trip or try and bulk the little one to hopefully be 20kgs come July...lol

BigRAWesty
17th September 2013, 09:55 AM
Well well well.. I had forgotten this little gem of mine..
I've built over my anchor points to as one of them had a snapped bolt in it.. :o

And I have used the front bolt of the rear seat mount...
Give me call if ya want more details..

ANDY_M
17th September 2013, 10:25 PM
Have a go at option 3, even though kfc can be a bit expensive. haha

krbrooking
18th September 2013, 03:32 AM
Hey Andy could you not fix a child anchor to the roof support rail and use that like some of the hatch backs and ppl movers have that way you won't have to change anything. Not sure on the strength though???

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app