PDA

View Full Version : No audio

@GUte
16th September 2013, 03:07 PM
G'day all,

GU ute 2000 TD42t.

A few weeks ago while travelling to work which took an hour the earth lead came out of it's terminal. I pulled up for a spell and the car wouldn't start hence the earth cable. Refit get on my way and I find the head unit won't work.

I removed all cables to the battery terminal and gave them a good clean including the battery terminal.

Under the bonnet next to the battery is some fuses. The one closest to the fender is for the 'audio'. With the fuse removed I don't have any power to the left terminal but all others in this compartment do. The right terminal only has .30 volts! If I make a bridge from the Pos terminal to the right side of the fuse holder the head unit will operate but no sound. I probably shouldn't mention the "no sound" as this may only confuse with an amp also being fitted.

I've gone through all fuses in the vehicle and can't find an issue.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance.

Al.

threedogs
16th September 2013, 03:20 PM
What type of head unit is it OE or after market

Winnie
16th September 2013, 03:23 PM
Have you got power at the amp when you manage to get the head unit to power up?

@GUte
16th September 2013, 05:28 PM
What type of head unit is it OE or after market

Cheap Chinese double din.

Have you got power at the amp when you manage to get the head unit to power up?

Give me minni Winnie and I'll have a look.

Yendor
16th September 2013, 05:29 PM
G'day all,

GU ute 2000 TD42t.

A few weeks ago while travelling to work which took an hour the earth lead came out of it's terminal. I pulled up for a spell and the car wouldn't start hence the earth cable. Refit get on my way and I find the head unit won't work.

I removed all cables to the battery terminal and gave them a good clean including the battery terminal.

Under the bonnet next to the battery is some fuses. The one closest to the fender is for the 'audio'. With the fuse removed I don't have any power to the left terminal but all others in this compartment do. The right terminal only has .30 volts! If I make a bridge from the Pos terminal to the right side of the fuse holder the head unit will operate but no sound. I probably shouldn't mention the "no sound" as this may only confuse with an amp also being fitted.

I've gone through all fuses in the vehicle and can't find an issue.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance.

Al.

Check the main 40 amp fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet isn't blown.

There is also another radio fuse in the fusebox inside the vehicle, fuse number 10

@GUte
16th September 2013, 05:46 PM
Winnie, the remote to the amp isn't active when I jump that fuse under the bonnet but it lights up the head unit. It's odd! Why do I have to jump to that fuse holder under the bonnet to activate the head unit and then why doesn't it activate the remote from the head unit to the amp? Hmmm!.

Check the main 40 amp fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet isn't blown.

Thanks Yendor, I'll check the 40A. I've gone through all the dash fuses previously.

There is also another radio fuse in the fusebox inside the vehicle, fuse number 10

lhurley
16th September 2013, 05:57 PM
Winnie, the remote to the amp isn't active when I jump that fuse under the bonnet but it lights up the head unit. It's odd! Why do I have to jump to that fuse holder under the bonnet to activate the head unit and then why doesn't it activate the remote from the head unit to the amp? Hmmm!.

Thanks Yendor, I'll check the 40A. I've gone through all the dash fuses previously.

You might have blown the fuse on the amp. some wiring got damaged when the neg came off?

@GUte
16th September 2013, 08:05 PM
Hi, the fuse is fine but it still wouldn't account for the remote from the head unit not being active.

I'm yet to check the 40A under the bonnet. I'll get onto it.

Yendor
18th September 2013, 04:07 PM
Hi, the fuse is fine but it still wouldn't account for the remote from the head unit not being active.

I'm yet to check the 40A under the bonnet. I'll get onto it.

So.....how did you go? did you check the 40amp fuse?

It is possible you have done damage to your amp and/or head unit, but you should still have constant power at the fuse under the bonnet.

typo368
18th September 2013, 10:57 PM
Please don't forget there is often a fuse on the back of the deck!! Usually under the plug!!

The blue/white wire that comes out of your stereo, Controls on/off to the amps, With the stereo on
check to see if you have voltage on this wire as well! :)

@GUte
19th September 2013, 07:54 PM
So.....how did you go? did you check the 40amp fuse?

It is possible you have done damage to your amp and/or head unit, but you should still have constant power at the fuse under the bonnet.

Please don't forget there is often a fuse on the back of the deck!! Usually under the plug!!

The blue/white wire that comes out of your stereo, Controls on/off to the amps, With the stereo on
check to see if you have voltage on this wire as well! :)

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. Been working till late of evenings and out to long distances and I very much appreciate your responses.

Yendor, you had something when you mentioned the 40A fuse under the bonnet. I don't know what happened there but I thought there was only three fuses all this time but I had to make up a combined fuse out of blade fuses as I didn't have one. Buggered if I know as I couldn't find one and sure that there wasn't one. Maybe I'm losing it, lol! That got the head unit working but still no remote to the amp. I've been short of time so I did a little loop from the remote to the Pos of the amp and have to disconnect when parked as I'll end up with a flat battery.

Typo, I haven't had any power out of the remote lead. I'm thinking it may have damaged the unit when the battery lead was disconnected for a fair amount of time running.

I'm experimenting a few issues since then. I keep blowing the fuse for the parkers! #$@%!!!

I'll keep ya's posted.

Al.

@GUte
19th September 2013, 08:01 PM
Also I noticed the fuel gauge was reading about 1/4 tank less. An earthing problem somewhere. Coincident or related, who knows?

I have made a new earth link form the body to the chassis some time back. Time to go over a few things I'd say. The Ol' girl has 360k on her ATM.

Yendor
20th September 2013, 05:07 PM
I'm experimenting a few issues since then. I keep blowing the fuse for the parkers! #$@%!!!

I'll keep ya's posted.

Al.

Has the head unit only just been installed?

If it hasn't been wired correctly it can cause the park light fuse to blow.

It's common for people to mistakenly use the park light wire for the earth to the head unit.

Another common cause for the park light fuse to blow is damaged or faulty wiring at the trailer plug.

@GUte
20th September 2013, 11:02 PM
Has the head unit only just been installed?

If it hasn't been wired correctly it can cause the park light fuse to blow.

It's common for people to mistakenly use the park light wire for the earth to the head unit.

Another common cause for the park light fuse to blow is damaged or faulty wiring at the trailer plug.

Your getting warm mate. I've got half the bluddy ute apart. The head unit is out and it's in behind there. It's been fitted for years. I found a wire with a bare male bullet terminal. Yet to find it's place. I can maintain parkers now!

The fuse in the head unit is fine. I'm going to delete the amp from the system as it doesn't do much over the 200W of the head unit and that will solve the remote issue.

There has to be a better way to check shorts without going through a bucket full of fuses. Maybe a resetable fuse with globe/led etc!

i'll let you know how I go.

Al.

@GUte
21st September 2013, 10:07 PM
I have audio less the remote wire being active. Not a biggie.

The problem with the parkers has been located so electrical issues solved.

Thanks fella's.

Al.