PDA

View Full Version : loss of power ZD30

june
16th September 2013, 10:09 AM
ok this is the story. have a heavy loaded off road c/van, towing 99% of the time. have full nads done and all has been really good until now. before power problem at 100clicks boost sits at 11 psi and pyro sits at 440 degrees C in top gear. the last couple of days driving power has dropped off a tad. boost still reads 11 psi, and pyro has climbed to 520 degrees. all hoses vacuum lines appear fine. intercooler is good, so what the @#$& is going on. i'm at the stage to torch the thing! and god forbid buy a v8 landcruiser, can anyone help please.

SupRob
16th September 2013, 10:17 AM
Cooling system isnt blocked, good coolant?
Air maf sensor clean?
Sticky injectors?
Blocked filters?

Guessing game buddy.

threedogs
16th September 2013, 10:24 AM
I'd Spray the MAF sensor to eliminate that from the equation,
You blowing extra black smoke that you can see.
Do one fix at a time so you'll know what the problem was

june
16th September 2013, 11:06 AM
no black smoke. but I'll clean the maf. to see if it makes a difference. could be maf as engine has been running faultlessly for months. thanks.

threedogs
16th September 2013, 11:33 AM
Just make sure its dry before putting it back, clean over some paper towel you'll see if dirty or not

june
16th September 2013, 12:11 PM
will do, you might be right 3D, as the highway run today, vehicle went alright to start with, lost power and pyro went up, seemed to come good for a while then same again.
Have pulled out MAF sensor and was a light mist of oil on outside plastic, so here's hoping you were right, let you know after highway run tomorrow.

Sir Roofy
16th September 2013, 12:13 PM
Try towing in 4th gear being in overdrive puts to much strain on the
little 3l try driving at 90ks instead of 100/110 and as above for the rest
could be due for a oil change

oddkid82
16th September 2013, 12:14 PM
When you cleaning the maff disconnect the battery for about 30 mins

Bob
16th September 2013, 12:29 PM
will do, you might be right 3D, as the highway run today, vehicle went alright to start with, lost power and pyro went up, seemed to come good for a while then same again.
Have pulled out MAF sensor and was a light mist of oil on outside plastic, so here's hoping you were right, let you know after highway run tomorrow.

After cleaning MAF you should disconnect the Battery for 30 mins to reset the ECU

Sorry did not see the Post above

june
17th September 2013, 03:08 PM
have got heavy duty valve body and lock up switch in auto, so no problems staying in top. but in saying that I do watch egt gauge and change down when temps rise. I think doggy you were right with maf as I did clean it and disconnected battery .todays towing run temps are around back to normal. bit hard to say being for a 20 knot head wind. at least I'm not getting egt's over 500 plus, more like 460 with head wind.

threedogs
17th September 2013, 03:18 PM
sounds good, Damn Maf controls everything LOL

Col.T
17th September 2013, 06:51 PM
G'day June et al,
as usual, arrived on the scene late after all the action.
Gotta ask though, when you say you've done the full NADS thing, did that include the EGR block?
Probably a dumb thing but I thought with that done the MAF sensor wouldn't foul up.
Wrong again????
Col

june
19th September 2013, 03:44 PM
yes egr is blocked off. strange thing is when cleaning maf there was oil on maf sensor on the plastic. took all the pipe work off to see if there was oil inside and found none including the other way to the snorkel. the other thing that 3D mentioned was black smoke out the back. you would think with 500 to 550 degree's on the pyro you would have some evidence of soot on the back bumper, but there was none. looking out the rear view I could not see any.

Col.T
19th September 2013, 06:12 PM
Thanks June,
another of lifes mysteries.
When I die I want to come back as a diesel mechanic. I think that's my only hope,
Col