PDA

View Full Version : First service

oddkid82
16th September 2013, 09:31 AM
Hey I just did my first service on my zd30 by myself on the weekend.
Changed the oils and all the filters.

Is it normal to get a smell of burning oil with a new change of oil when the motor is warm?

Bloodyaussie
16th September 2013, 09:39 AM
If a bit of oil dripped onto the engine or header pipes it is???

How bad is the smell.. have a look around the filter, you did not over tighten it did you and also when you put the new oil filter on you smeared a bit of oil around the o'ring.

oddkid82
16th September 2013, 09:44 AM
If a bit of oil dripped onto the engine or header pipes it is???

How bad is the smell.. have a look around the filter, you did not over tighten it did you and also when you put the new oil filter on you smeared a bit of oil around the o'ring.

I don't think I over tighten it only used a socket wrench not a breaker bar.
Didn't know I had to smear oil over the new o ring. Would that cause problems?

BigRAWesty
16th September 2013, 10:27 AM
I don't think I over tighten it only used a socket wrench not a breaker bar.
Didn't know I had to smear oil over the new o ring. Would that cause problems?

Most say only hand tighten.. But a little extra won't hurt..

The smear of oil is to protect the seal from tearing when doing up..
Have a look under it for leaks.. If all clean all good..
Possible just a little oil spilt somewhere hot..

oddkid82
16th September 2013, 12:21 PM
Most say only hand tighten.. But a little extra won't hurt..

The smear of oil is to protect the seal from tearing when doing up..
Have a look under it for leaks.. If all clean all good..
Possible just a little oil spilt somewhere hot..

I haven't noticed any leaks under at all.
Which is good. Will have a good look when I get home on the oil filter to see if there is any oil on the user side.

If there is a leak on the filter, would I have to drain all the oil again to fix the filter or would I just change the oil filter,
Would the oil drain out from where the filter screws on.?

BigRAWesty
16th September 2013, 01:27 PM
Unsure On the zd30 motors. All motors I've worked on will leak what's sitting above the filter, but won't drain the sump threw the filter manifold. Just let it stand for a while after its warmed up to let most the oil drain back to sump and you should be right..

SonOf
16th September 2013, 01:30 PM
I find it best to tuck a few rags around the filter area and when you are topping up, saves that burning smell if you spill anything. Saying that it should only smell for a short time as the spill should burn off pretty quickly.
This related thread notes that the torque setting should be on the housing: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1139-First-time-oil-and-filter-change-Patrol-ZD30-GUIV
But for reference: ZD30ddti - Oil filter body tightening torque 19.6 to 24.Nm Drain plug =torque to 54 to 59 Nm.

NP99
16th September 2013, 04:07 PM
Mine is a TB45 and I fill the oil filter 2/3 with fresh oil before I screw it back on! Why? It gives very small piece of mind that there's enough oil at first start up. It's not necessary, but I do it anyway!

threedogs
16th September 2013, 05:17 PM
I was told to smear grease not oil on the "O" ring, Potatoe ,Potato
As just had same problem. You use oil on the spin on filters not the Cartridge style with "O" ring
Happy to be wrong but grease for me

Not normal to smell oil, as suggested may have spilt a bit
Edit underneath you'll see a rubber hose and a flat catch tray under the filter pod.
it will leak from rubber hose

Swazi
17th September 2013, 02:09 PM
Not familiar with the 3.0 sevicing but have recently done my 4.2D. I found the same thing but is definately because of spillage. Wiped it down again and made sure the filters were not leaking - also only by hand tightening. Does anyone know how to avoid (or at least limit it!) the spillage when changing the two oil filters? I found it spilt all over and only because of old habits of spreading a whole bunch of newpaper underneath did I avoid messing the floor.

BigRAWesty
17th September 2013, 02:49 PM
Not familiar with the 3.0 sevicing but have recently done my 4.2D. I found the same thing but is definately because of spillage. Wiped it down again and made sure the filters were not leaking - also only by hand tightening. Does anyone know how to avoid (or at least limit it!) the spillage when changing the two oil filters? I found it spilt all over and only because of old habits of spreading a whole bunch of newpaper underneath did I avoid messing the floor.

Tip the car up side down... Lol..
When you find one let us know..
I spin mine half Off then the oil runs down the filter not the engine.. Still some spills but it's easier to clean..

commsman
17th September 2013, 07:02 PM
Don't laugh too hard. My grand father invented built and patented an upside down car servicing rig. Obviously it didn't take off too well though as I haven't seen any of them round in my lifetime. that and it was in England just after the war.

Brian.