PDA

View Full Version : Auto windows modification.

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2013, 03:15 PM
Does any body know if you can make the passenger side window into auto down/up like the driver side on the GU's.
Can I just buy an auto button in the spot of the passenger window button or is it the motor that does the auto bit.
It's been something that has been bothering me for a while but I have a feeling it can't be done. Not cheaply anyway.

BigRAWesty
11th September 2013, 05:42 PM
I think it's a little more detailed than just the switch. You need some sorta end switch, I think the work like an over load switch on the drivers side..
But I'm not sure where that circuit is.
In the q they have a black box inside the door which holds a lot of electronics. Im pretty sure Its the controller for the other Windows but possible has the limit switch to..
Nit sure what would happen if you bolted one into the passenger side setup with the 2 stage switch..

Yendor
11th September 2013, 06:01 PM
The GUs have a limit switch in the driver door regulator and circuitry in the drivers master window switch that controls the auto function for the drivers electric window.

I think it would be very difficult to set up the auto function on the passengers window.

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2013, 06:35 PM
I think it would be very difficult to set up the auto function on the passengers window.

Of course it would, why would Nissan make it easy.

threedogs
11th September 2013, 06:35 PM
Did they make a left hand drive version of the GU/GR ?????

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2013, 06:39 PM

Already sounds expensive.

BigRAWesty
11th September 2013, 07:03 PM

They would have, but electrical would just be swapped..

MEGOMONSTER
11th September 2013, 07:18 PM
They would have, but electrical would just be swapped..

So I need to find a cheap complete drivers door and change the internals.

BigRAWesty
11th September 2013, 10:31 PM
So I need to find a cheap complete drivers door and change the internals.

I'm not sure how the system would run with 2 controllers?? You could try.. Have and Extinguisher at the ready but..

threedogs
12th September 2013, 09:28 AM
@ Kallen if LHD wouldn't it be handed as in mirror of RHD.
Or do you think they just swap the lot and only change armrest buttons
Nah,,, has to be left handed to fit...cause its a left handed door.
My thinking is if you take RH unit out it won't fit on LH side it needs to be Mirror image to work.
Sort of like the RH mirror won't fit on LH side

MEGOMONSTER
12th September 2013, 09:59 AM
My thinking is if you take RH unit out it won't fit on LH side it needs to be Mirror image to work.

So who's got a LHDrive LHDoor lying around complete with electric windows for a GU.

threedogs
12th September 2013, 10:02 AM
Might have to source one if available from a Member OS somewhere.
Is Sth Africa LHD ???

BigRAWesty
12th September 2013, 10:02 AM

Yea the moldings won't fit, but all the switches are the same. To try you'd need the switch and the limit mechs.. Just nit sure what they are..

threedogs
12th September 2013, 10:08 AM
More the motor in the Door I'm talking about. Or is the motor made so it could be right or left handed.
Really need to look at both out of car, or just re-fit complete after market power window fit for left hand drive.
running out of ideas here but still think its possible
Have we stooped so low as we can't hold a button down for 4 seconds, sad so sad. lol

MEGOMONSTER
12th September 2013, 10:15 AM
More the motor in the Door I'm talking about. Or is the motor made so it could be right or left handed.
Really need to look at both out of car, or just re-fit complete after market power window fit for left hand drive.
running out of ideas here but still think its possible
Have we stooped so low as we can't hold a button down for 4 seconds, sad so sad. lol

Not in my Toorak tractor impersonating a 4x4. Lol

BigRAWesty
12th September 2013, 10:40 AM
Are the motors different apart from being left and right hand?
Tbh, I've never worries about it.. I'm never in the passenger seat long enough..

threedogs
12th September 2013, 11:39 AM
I only crack the rear passenger window and roll down drivers,
Sometime I act like it is wind down ,freaks some out lol

Robo
12th September 2013, 12:49 PM
Talking about a GQ here OK.
I've had the same idea but not the time.
even my GTR is a pain like this.
manufacturers assume, driver will never want to open/close the other windows, lol.

Motors are same l&R, had both of them apart.
it's the control box and 3 position switch for drivers window that's different.
if you slowly rock driver switch you'll feel it has 3 positions and passengers only has 2.

Theory- if you can separate existing passengers wires power earth etc from the control module ,then,
get another control module and drivers switch and rig that for the passengers side separately except your connecting old passengers to driver contacts on new box and install new switch where the old one is at the moment.

I'm sure the control box does all the limiting etc that you were asking about.
they detect motor load/ straining and end of travel, and then cut power automatically.
hence the why you need to bypass old controller for the new set up.

Obviously this is crude description and wiring needs to be done properly - safely connected, wire tied etc.
Don't see why you can't use existing power feed from old controller box and wire new one beside it,
your not adding extra motors only the control box is extra and that uses little.
any load on new box you have removed from old box , so power requirements is virtually identical.

Just compare what you have either side and if what I described is same for GU then it should be fairly easy.
Only prob I see is 3 position switch fitting in old hole and a bit of work.
If a limit switch is involved you will need to include this also, as it's part of the boxes system that will require some extra wire and setting up/install.
Humm, you may hit a mirror image prob, up on drivers side may be down on passengers, I'm not sure about that , but that's only a matter of switching the motor feed wires about to change, easy fixed.
hope I explained it ok, bit tricky some times explaining something ver's hands on.
cheers.

MEGOMONSTER
12th September 2013, 04:32 PM
Talking about a GQ here OK.
I've had the same idea but not the time.
even my GTR is a pain like this.
manufacturers assume, driver will never want to open/close the other windows, lol.

Motors are same l&R, had both of them apart.
it's the control box and 3 position switch for drivers window that's different.
if you slowly rock driver switch you'll feel it has 3 positions and passengers only has 2.

Theory- if you can separate existing passengers wires power earth etc from the control module ,then,
get another control module and drivers switch and rig that for the passengers side separately except your connecting old passengers to driver contacts on new box and install new switch where the old one is at the moment.

I'm sure the control box does all the limiting etc that you were asking about.
they detect motor load/ straining and end of travel, and then cut power automatically.
hence the why you need to bypass old controller for the new set up.

Obviously this is crude description and wiring needs to be done properly - safely connected, wire tied etc.
Don't see why you can't use existing power feed from old controller box and wire new one beside it,
your not adding extra motors only the control box is extra and that uses little.
any load on new box you have removed from old box , so power requirements is virtually identical.

Just compare what you have either side and if what I described is same for GU then it should be fairly easy.
Only prob I see is 3 position switch fitting in old hole and a bit of work.
If a limit switch is involved you will need to include this also, as it's part of the boxes system that will require some extra wire and setting up/install.
Humm, you may hit a mirror image prob, up on drivers side may be down on passengers, I'm not sure about that , but that's only a matter of switching the motor feed wires about to change, easy fixed.
hope I explained it ok, bit tricky some times explaining something ver's hands on.
cheers.

Really I was hoping for an easy fix. It's obvious it's not.

BigRAWesty
12th September 2013, 04:45 PM

It never is.. That's the fun bit..

threedogs
12th September 2013, 05:12 PM
So whats conclusion doable but too much mucking around for a small job.
Is it in the "too hard basket"

BigRAWesty
12th September 2013, 06:03 PM
I say I would be do-able but you'd wanna be sure.
Did anyone find the wiring diagram of the patrols??

NissanGQ4.2
12th September 2013, 06:08 PM
Did anyone find the wiring diagram of the patrols??

Yes its in the manuals, you can download it after 25 post of crap *LMAO*

BigRAWesty
12th September 2013, 08:10 PM
I really gotta sit down and read the lot one day...

Robo
13th September 2013, 04:28 AM

trying to explain it in full makes it sound hard, but I don't think it is a hard job.
just time consuming.
the only other thing that hit me was you would/should need a 2nd switch to replace old 1 in the passengers door also.

GQ TANK
14th September 2013, 06:37 PM
You could maybe use relays to switch all the power amp wiring to the alterative door. use the drivers door set up to control the pass door and use a separate switch to toggle between the pass and driver door?

Robo
18th September 2013, 02:22 AM
check this out drivers door master assembly.
eBay item number:
&

MEGOMONSTER
18th September 2013, 05:35 AM
check this out drivers door master assembly.
eBay item number:
&

These are just the door handle switches and I'd require a lot more components to actually do the job.

cgm
18th September 2013, 06:51 AM
So who's got a LHDrive LHDoor lying around complete with electric windows for a GU.

I've got one, but sorry I'm still using it. :D

Robo
18th September 2013, 05:29 PM
These are just the door handle switches and I'd require a lot more components to actually do the job.

Only a link and or idea of partial cost associated to the job at hand.
gee wizz do a bloke a favour .

MEGOMONSTER
18th September 2013, 05:32 PM
Only a link and or idea of partial cost associated to the job at hand.
gee wizz do a bloke a favour .

Sorry mate, didnt mean to make it sound abrupt, it's just the button is the easiest part.