PDA

View Full Version : Clunking noise when turning steering wheel

oddkid82
11th September 2013, 09:07 AM
Hey guys I am sure what the problem could be. It started about a month ago. Then stopped for a week or so.

It happens when I am going from a start off and turning to the right sharply.

I have located the noise to the front drivers side, the noise comes from behind the rubber guard. Took a photo of it and not to sure what it is, I know it's got to do with the steering.

The noise seemed to get worse yesterday, any ideas what it could be?

Col.T
11th September 2013, 09:01 PM
G'day Oddy
don't reckon I can help you but a couple of thoughts.
What model/year wagon you got? Looks like a GU but what year?
A few details under the personal profile may let us know a bit more about you and the wheels.
You say the photos are of the problem but I'm not sure I can see anything wrong. Can you jack the front end up, secure it (and make bloody sure you do) then get underneath while someone turns the wheels from one limit to the other both with the motor/power steering running and without? Can you hear it or only when the full weight is on the wheels? Can you pin point precisely where the noise comes from? Is it any different in 4WD to 2WD? Have you checked every connection in ALL the steering gear to ensure nothing is loose? Power steering fluid is at correct level?
Is the clunk a regular/steady noise or erratic? Does it go away partway around the corner or stay as long as you're turning? Can you feel anything different through the steering wheel?
Have you done any work on the front end lately? (May sound dumb but I've just recently had a puddle of front diff oil under my front offside wheel after I did a major service. You'd think after doing that job over about 40 years you'd never get caught with a dopey stuff up like that but I now know it's easy).
Let's know how it goes and with a bit of luck one of the gurus will have an answer for you.
Luck
Col

menace 2
11th September 2013, 09:31 PM
check the wheel nuts on the right side too mate...it doesnt need much looseness to create movement

oddkid82
11th September 2013, 10:29 PM
I have a 2005 gu zd30
am pretty sure the sound is coming from inside the steering box. Had the wife turning the wheel while I followed the noise and the only spot I could trace it back to was the steering box.

It's not a constant noise while going around a corner. I think it mainly happens when the car is under load.

I will be getting it looked at tomorrow as I am going away on a week holiday up to the NSW outback doing the darling river run up to Bourke for a week.

Will let you guys know what u find out.

mudski
12th September 2013, 01:39 PM
I had a clunk in the front end of mine. Turned out the pads that sit on top of the springs were shagged and when turning the spring would shift a little in the seat giving the clunking sound.

threedogs
12th September 2013, 01:43 PM
From what you say it sounds like slop in the steering box, there is and adjustment
but check your manual first

MudRunnerTD
12th September 2013, 04:45 PM
I have a 2005 gu zd30
am pretty sure the sound is coming from inside the steering box. Had the wife turning the wheel while I followed the noise and the only spot I could trace it back to was the steering box.

It's not a constant noise while going around a corner. I think it mainly happens when the car is under load.

I will be getting it looked at tomorrow as I am going away on a week holiday up to the NSW outback doing the darling river run up to Bourke for a week.

Will let you guys know what u find out.

The steering box is as tough as guts. I doubt your problem lies there. The noise could well be transferred to there through the steering arms.

I'd be checking your Tie Rod ends on the tie rod (behind the diff) the drag link and also the front Radius Arm Bushes for wear. Jack the car up and put the front diff on 2 jack stands with the wheels off the ground and turn lock to lock and see if it makes the noise. Unlikely to be terminal though mate.

oddkid82
12th September 2013, 09:52 PM
Hey guys good news sorted the problem out.
I started off buy giving everything a once over, checking all my nuts and bolts were tight. And found that the panhard rod was loose on the drivers side, got the wife to move the steering wheel side to side and I noticed there was some play in it. Have it a real good tighten and presto no noise and movement.
I am so glad it wasn't anything bad.
I guess I just think of the worst case scenario when I hear noises I can't identify what they are.

Thanks for the ideas guys,
I suppose best thing to do us look for the obvious things

mudski
13th September 2013, 07:58 PM
Its always good when you find out a problem and the fix is as easy as tightening the bolt. Might be a good idea to see if there is any damage.

Col.T
13th September 2013, 07:59 PM
good news Oddie
nothing worse than nuts too loose or tight. It's generally a good rule, start at the simple end and eliminate towards the really ugly end.
Cheers
Col