PDA

View Full Version : Domain name registration recomendations

mudski
10th September 2013, 09:31 PM
I need to register a domain name, with one maybe two email address's to go with it aswell. But I have a quick google an theres chitloads out there. Plus I think a website might be in order too aswell but one thing at a time.
Any recommendations on who to use?

trekster
10th September 2013, 09:34 PM
I use a cheap one for a .com domain name for my wife, the domain name is $12 a year and some hosting

http://m2host.com/cheap_domains.php

mudski
10th September 2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks but I need a .com.au. What I need it for just a .com will be pointless. Theres so many out there now and the price range is quite big. I can't see what you actually get for say $40 to $20....

AB
10th September 2013, 09:47 PM
,com.au are more expensive then .com

You also need an Abn or Bn to register an au name.

I use digital pacific for my names and hosting. Slightly more than overseas company but they are Aussie owned company employing aussies only and have an outstanding support team.

NissanGQ4.2
10th September 2013, 10:22 PM
I use digital pacific for my names and hosting. Slightly more than overseas company but they are Aussie owned company employing aussies only and have an outstanding support team.

And you need that support team if you decide 2 delete important files *LMAO*

mudski
10th September 2013, 10:24 PM
,com.au are more expensive then .com

Have the ABN ready, but the .com.au is a must for what I want it for. A .com wont get the same amount of searches in Google AU than what a .com.au will get. The price difference isn't a lot between the two aswell. I might just take a few names and pick one.

AB
10th September 2013, 10:30 PM
Have the ABN ready, but the .com.au is a must for what I want it for. A .com wont get the same amount of searches in Google AU than what a .com.au will get. The price difference isn't a lot between the two aswell. I might just take a few names and pick one.

For how little it is to buy a .com name it might be a good idea just to snag the .com name as well if it is available.

Because in 5 years time when you are making millions of dollars and your business is a brand, people will start to register other extensions with the same name as yours.

oncedisturbed
10th September 2013, 10:34 PM
I use Crazy Domains, always have specials on Domain registrations and hosting from as little as $1.25 per month (150gb space) with reasonable space and unlimited emails / addresses, plugs into outlook as well.

http://www.crazydomains.com.au/ and for hosting http://www.crazydomains.com.au/web-hosting/

Customer service is good and they really help out, they use the "Installatron" application installer / manager as well which makes things a bit easier for those who have never had much to with websites. CPanel providers will be the best one's to go for as they include a lot more apps for you to use.

mudski
10th September 2013, 11:01 PM
For how little it is to buy a .com name it might be a good idea just to snag the .com name as well if it is available.

Because in 5 years time when you are making millions of dollars and your business is a brand, people will start to register other extensions with the same name as yours.
Hehe, I like your enthusiasm for fore site Andy. I'll check out Crazy domains too 1D.

Cuppa
10th September 2013, 11:11 PM

Are you sure about that? See here (http://au.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults-new.aspx?ci=84190), no mention of any requirement other than needing to take out a 2 year subscription ..... & cheap enough. I've used them for a number of years now (cuppa500.com) & have had no problems.

mudski
10th September 2013, 11:21 PM
To register a .au you must have an ABN. I was at a conference last week in Adelaide and this was discussed. Albeit it very brief....
A .com is a different story though. Anyhow, Carzy Domains was one of the sites I was looking at, since they got a mention, they are the winners. All registered now. All I gotta do it work out the email side of things, then a website down the track.

Thanks to all for their input. I hate mulling over stuff, once I get something on my mind I like to do it straight away.

oncedisturbed
10th September 2013, 11:22 PM
when you go into your web hosting manager (if you use crazy) there are several menus basically point and click, easy to set up the emails - let us know if you need a hand with the interface if you use crazy