PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen these before?

Parksy
9th September 2013, 07:58 PM
Just browsing eBay and came across these, led headlights but fan cooled with what looks like a ballast or something. I know "good" led headlights aren't that readily available, but these look interesting.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pair-White-Car-9006-1800lm-Cree-LED-Head-Light-Lamp-with-Micro-fans-Low-Beam-Hot-/261274983900?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd533dddc&_uhb=1

Cheers

Andy

megatexture
9th September 2013, 08:07 PM
Never seen them before but I wonder how the fan likes mud and dust

lhurley
9th September 2013, 08:14 PM
My guess is that they would kinda suck. They only produce 1800 lumens, where as a similarly watted hid kit would produce at least 3000 lumens

NissanGQ4.2
9th September 2013, 08:14 PM
MAybe if your not doing mud puddles or river crossings

Sealed beams are the only way to go if you're doing the above

Parksy
9th September 2013, 09:04 PM
My guess is that they would kinda suck. They only produce 1800 lumens, where as a similarly watted hid kit would produce at least 3000 lumens

I wasn't sure what the output of a regular globe was but I thought that would be the case. Mud crossings would probably kill these things pretty quickly. Interesting to see what's being released lately though.

megatexture
10th September 2013, 12:18 AM
Have to agree parksy the ideas and improvements in technology is nothing but amazing and hard to keep up with!

NP99
10th September 2013, 12:36 AM
Have to agree parksy the ideas and improvements in technology is nothing but amazing and hard to keep up with!

Yep, those down south are amazed at moving stairs at our shopping centres and the fact we don't use lamps or whale oil anymore! :)

taslucas
10th September 2013, 07:52 AM
............... and the fact we don't use lamps or whale oil anymore! :)

But how do you see!?

oncedisturbed
10th September 2013, 11:35 AM
I would stear clear of them in a 4wd unless its a soccer mums car, recipe for issues as Tas said with sealing them etc

Never underestimate the power of the darkside, let the tap flow through you.

Darwingq3.0
12th September 2013, 12:10 AM
They actually work very well on low beam high beam isnt exceptional the hb3 /4 and h9 and h11 are sealed with a gasket to stop dust ingress
The company I work for has been selling them now for 3 months and have had no reported failures and yes some of those kits are running around in the red dust of Arnhem Land up here in the territory
Can put pics up of light output if anyone is interested

P4trol
12th September 2013, 08:54 PM
May as well: you've posted in defence of them, with the added advantage of having seen them in person.

Darwingq3.0
13th September 2013, 11:19 AM
as promised pics

Parksy
13th September 2013, 06:29 PM
Thanks darwingq, I've bitten the bullet and bought a set, mainly because the candles in my headlights are pretty poor at the moment. Will let you know how it goes when it arrives.

megatexture
15th September 2013, 01:12 AM
the light output is imperssive but not keen on the fan surely they could have put a bit of heatsink on the back. keen to get some more feedback thats for sure! let us know when they arrive!

Parksy
15th September 2013, 09:25 AM
The ones I bought are coming from china so it might be a few weeks. It will be interesting to see if they actually get hot enough to require a fan. I'll be sure to post lots of photos.

Darwingq3.0
15th September 2013, 09:28 AM
They do have a heat sink on back
Ill shoot into work and take a pic of they laid out and also assembled

typo368
15th September 2013, 01:21 PM
Hi there,
LED lights high in wattage need cooling otherwise they self destruct , I think a LED over 3watts need some sort of cooling like a heatsink or fan! :)

Darwingq3.0
15th September 2013, 02:56 PM
As u can see the fan screws onto the back of the bulb I guess u could try using them without it
But the biggest killer of Cree LEDs. Is heat

Parksy
26th September 2013, 04:38 PM
Fitted the led lights today and I'm very impressed with the light output. Switch them on, a super quick flicker and they're on. Switching the high beam is instantaneous, no warm up. It's on or off. Compared to my old globes, these are heaps brighter. Can't wait to test them tonight.

megatexture
26th September 2013, 10:08 PM
Id be interested to know the running temp of them with the fan and no fan. And I wonder how large a heatsink would be needed to replicate the fans cooling ability.

I may have to buy a set lol.

Parksy
26th September 2013, 10:26 PM
I bought mine from china for significantly cheaper than the Aussie sellers. The fans make a quiet hum but I didn't really notice much air flow. When I get a chance I'll measure the temps with an infra red temp gun and see what they run at.
Night time performance is awesome. A lot better than the 55 watt halogen globes I had in there. Like mentioned before,
High beams isn't amazing, but I have spotlights for that anyway so no biggie. But the LEDs do a good job of lighting up the white lines on the road. Very happy with this product so far.

megatexture
26th September 2013, 10:40 PM
as promised pics

So are yours anything like the pics posted earlier?

Parksy
27th September 2013, 06:24 AM
Yes very much so.

Darwingq3.0
27th September 2013, 01:56 PM
ii arrange to become a vendor and should be able to supply these kits at a very competitive price