PDA

View Full Version : Catch can

SEALEGEND
9th September 2013, 12:33 PM
Hi, i have been advised that I should instal a catch can kit on my 2003 GUIII Patrol 3ltr auto. please advise if this is a good idea and what does this do for the engine. I have travelled 185000k and have never had a problem with the engine.

mudski
9th September 2013, 10:27 PM
Its always advised to instal a CC on any diesel. What a CC does is filter the engines crankcase vapours before it re enters the engine. Without a CC, the oily vapours re enter the engine before the turbo and oil up the turbo and intercooler. Same as blocking the EGR, this stops dirty exhaust gas from re entering the engine and eventually blocking the intake system.

trekster
9th September 2013, 10:33 PM
It's worse on the 3ltr as the recirculation pipe is before the maf sensor, so the oil mist coats it then gives false readings to the ecu and then bang, new motor is required.....

Clean your maf too, it's an easy process and the procedure is on the forum in a thread.

Cheers,
Eric.

mudski
9th September 2013, 10:42 PM
It's worse on the 3ltr as the recirculation pipe is before the maf sensor, so the oil mist coats it then gives false readings to the ecu and then bang, new motor is required.....

Clean your maf too, it's an easy process and the procedure is on the forum in a thread.

Cheers,
Eric.
Correction Eric. Its after...It enters the intake between the MAF and before the turbo.

trekster
9th September 2013, 11:04 PM
Correction Eric. Its after...It enters the intake between the MAF and before the turbo.

Hmmm interesting, I swear I saw a pipe before on the zd30 in my inlaws car, I will need to take a better look next time!

mudski
9th September 2013, 11:08 PM
Hmmm interesting, I swear I saw a pipe before on the zd30 in my inlaws car, I will need to take a better look next time!
Thats the snorkel mate:tease:

Limmy
10th September 2013, 04:05 PM
I was surprised with how much oil was captured ! definitely worth the mod

trekster
10th September 2013, 06:23 PM
Thats the snorkel mate:tease:

You're a wally hahaha, I will check it next time I get a chance lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

SonOf
11th September 2013, 01:48 PM
They are dead easy to make if you are handy with the tool otherwise ebay: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-CATCH-CAN-ENGINE-OIL-CATCH-TANK-OIL-RESERVOIR-WITH-MOUNTING-HARDWARE-/110968161675?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d637c58b#ht_2839wt_1063

Worth every cent compared to engine pop

SEALEGEND
27th September 2013, 08:27 AM
Hi All,
have installed the catch can and an anti det kit. have ordered a 3" Taipan XP exhaust system to further improve the trucks running. has anyone else done a similar system and have they noticed any improvements.

Lionel84
1st October 2013, 01:14 AM
Was the catch can an easy install? What brand did you get SEALEGEND?

tonym9643
1st October 2013, 03:39 PM
hey.................what the hell is a " MAF " and how do I clean it.
Catch can......do I need to drain this as is shows about 20 percent in the class indicator

tonym9643
1st October 2013, 03:40 PM
catch can
Maf ?