PDA

View Full Version : Mystery bolt

surgio
8th September 2013, 11:28 AM
Hey everyone, yesterday I did an oil flush on my 2005 4.2 gu ute and I dumped oil, added some cheap fresh oil and added some of the cost effective maintenance oil flush. Anyway i ran engine at about 1200 rpm for half hr. all went well, dumped oil, as black as first load then but when I was emptying oil pan of the oil, there was a bolt in the bottom of this. Engine didn't make any odd noise and it is running a lot smoother since flush but this bolt couldn't have been in my engine the whole time could it 33949 33950

threedogs
8th September 2013, 11:32 AM
Looks like it may be off the deflector plate, check along chassis rails
Wouldn't lose much sleep over it, it may have been lost in years gone by and replaced at some stage.

Clunk
8th September 2013, 11:34 AM
That would have been way too big to get through the sump plug hole mate......

Hodge
8th September 2013, 11:36 AM

+1
And not to mention it does not appear oily at all. Hard to judge the size of it, but could it be one of the bar mounting bolts, that's fallen in there somewhere and been stuck there for donkey years?

Parksy
8th September 2013, 11:53 AM
It's funny where things land within the engine bay and just stay put. I lost a 12mm spanner in the engine bay. Went driving for a week and found it next to the airbox. I wouldn't worry about that bolt. Maybe it landed in the oil pan but it might belong to something above it on the external engine? Checked your manifold bolts? Starter motor? Oil cooler/blanking plate? Might just be a spare that was stored last time it was lost...

surgio
8th September 2013, 12:19 PM

Yea good point. i didn't think of that . Just coincidence I guess. Nothing there one minute then next just showed up the next.

threedogs
8th September 2013, 02:43 PM
I've even found sockets from different PPL who have worked on my 4x4 over the years,
looks like a M8 bolt to me , could be from anywhere ,
if you get any rattles over the next few weeks you'll solve your riddle

happygu
8th September 2013, 02:48 PM
I would check the engine bay, as it is quite a substantial bolt, so that usually means it is holding something important ..... It may have well been replaced, as it always seems to be difficult to locate a dropped bolt, and they lodge in the most unusual places .....

Mic

surgio
8th September 2013, 05:32 PM
Yea I will just keep a listen out and hopefully it all good. Maybe been dropped and replaced who knows. I've left spanner on clutch bleed and was still there few weeks after

Bloodyaussie
8th September 2013, 05:44 PM
John is right it looks like the bash plate bolt in which there is 4.

Petit caillou
8th September 2013, 06:10 PM
Hi mate,

Is that the bolt was full of oil when you picked it up?
I think a bolt sway bar, maybe, I've seen bolt 7, I will look on mine.

Regards
Pierre.

surgio
11th September 2013, 07:23 PM
Hi mate,

Is that the bolt was full of oil when you picked it up?
I think a bolt sway bar, maybe, I've seen bolt 7, I will look on mine.

Regards
Pierre.

Hey Pierre. Yea number 7 bolt. It was weird it was in oil pan, just dumped oil, was emptying out the oil pan into old drum and heard something rattling, thought it was sump plug I dropped but ended up being this, will have another good look over it on weekend see if there are any empty bolt holes.

Pezzer
11th September 2013, 10:54 PM
Possibly a bolt from up under the Plenium inlet manifold someone just gave up trying to get a spanner on it being loose just fell into all that plumbing under there.