PDA

View Full Version : m\t to a\t

td42dan
8th September 2013, 08:12 AM
ok, im about to get new tyres for the GQ, i currantly run a m\t 33" tyres, i have 35" play tyres,
just wondering about going to a 33" a\t as a all rounder, have people done this and noticed a differance in fuel economy??? using the same size tyre.......

taslucas
8th September 2013, 08:40 AM
Probably wouldn't be any real economy difference running the same size tyre. If you keep the tyres pumped up nice and firm you will get better economy.
Id suggest the cooper stt's. I think they are classified as a mud tyre but they are on the all terrain side of the scale for sure as they aren't very aggressive. A good.long lasting tyre but also pretty grippy in the slippery stuff

BigRAWesty
8th September 2013, 08:50 AM
It'll be a lot quieter ride that's for sure..
Maybe a little better fuel
But it'll also be a bit nicer to drive, less floaty..

Winnie
8th September 2013, 10:22 AM
I used to run 33 MTs daily and changed to 32 ATs and kept a set of MTs for play tyres. I noticed a small difference in economy but it was definitely worth it.

threedogs
8th September 2013, 10:59 AM
285s are the same as 33s diameter wise,,,, I run 285 at home and 305s for play, just corrected a few things on the Patrol.
But would expect fuel to improve, mud tyres are chunky/heavy tyre and take a bit to turn them, driving style helps your
fuel figures too.

MEGOMONSTER
9th September 2013, 06:09 AM
Probably wouldn't be any real economy difference running the same size tyre. If you keep the tyres pumped up nice and firm you will get better economy.
Id suggest the cooper stt's. I think they are classified as a mud tyre but they are on the all terrain side of the scale for sure as they aren't very aggressive. A good.long lasting tyre but also pretty grippy in the slippery stuff

My mates had the STT's and got over 80k with them. Still running them.

MEGOMONSTER
9th September 2013, 06:14 AM
driving style helps your
fuel figures too.

My driving style doesn't help my fuel economy. Lol

Gecko17
10th September 2013, 02:11 PM
Fuel economy and the 33" Cooper STTs shouldn't go in the same sentence... That's what I am running at the moment. They are a huge profile tyre and fantastic on and off road but a lot of tyre to push along. I am currently looking at a touring tyre that will handle some off roading but a narrower profile tyre to the STT, say similar to an all terrain. I have looked at two, one being the Falken all terrain.... Great price and nice looking tread/profile. The other is an American tyre, sold here whose name escapes me at the moment. The problem I find is rim sizes... Mine on 15" and most of the new tyres are 16"s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vitox
23rd May 2014, 05:04 AM
has anyone done an equal dimension M/T vs A/T trial? i would assume the difference in fuel burn to be greater than the one between going from H/T to A/T, that one is as far as ive been able to measure (on duelers) around 5%