PDA

View Full Version : I love oil leaks - said no one ever

Money-fishing
6th September 2013, 07:38 PM
Righto guys, had the car up on a hoist today having a squiz. Found 2 (related or separate) oil leaks.

**Edit** She's a MY08 GU 3.0 crd

Pictures below.
Engine Oil level is about 1/4 high. Could this be the cause?
Can anyone help with what to check next?
1st picture - directly above front axle. Oil leaking slowly from the black hose (is that the crank case breather?) and also collecting around it, could be related to #2

2nd picture - oil pooling below pipe which runs to the intercooler from the turbo. Is there meant to be any oil running through that anyway?
1st pic

2nd pic

MudRunnerTD
6th September 2013, 07:50 PM
Given you have just bought the car and all of those leaks are on top of the motor I'd be cleaning completely then driving on and monitor for a while. It could be as simple as the last guy to service and fill the oil spilled some and did not clean up properly. Soak it up and clean all surfaces and drive for a month then check again.

That's what I'd do.

happygu
6th September 2013, 07:51 PM
Money-fishing,

I think that you are all OK.

The first pic looks like the oil filter drain hose from the tray under the filter housing, and the second looks fairly minor, and could be anything from a tiny bit of oil coming though the turbo/air intake, or maybe even a bit of a spill when being serviced.

The oil coming through the intake could possibly occur due to the motor being overfilled.

Clean it up, and just keep an eye on it.

Mic

Money-fishing
6th September 2013, 10:24 PM
Thanks Mic, that makes me feel a bit better. is it normal to end up with wet oil on the underside of the tray a month or so after the oil change? There has been enough oil dripping from the tray/drain hose on to the axle to run off and leave a dozen or so drips over the last 4 weeks she's been in the garage. I never even thought to look until today...

happygu
6th September 2013, 10:29 PM
I must admit mine doesn't drip in my driveway, but mine is serviced by a great Nissan Dealer, who would know all the tricks and make sure it is all drip free......

Money-fishing
7th September 2013, 07:48 AM
Couple of cans of de greaser and a hit with the high pressure hose is on today's list. Ill post a couple more pics in a weeks time if she's still dripping.