PDA

View Full Version : GU Drivers door power window problem

firm351
6th September 2013, 12:49 PM
G'day folks,

I'm having some dramas with my drivers door power window,whats happening is when i press the button on the door into the auto position the window goes down as it should but when it gets to the bottom the motor doesn't stop causing one of the arms inside the door skin to become disconected from the channel that it runs in then the window wont go back up again.

The window goes down as is should if i press the button to go down small amounts i only have the problem when i press it to the auto position.

Its not a major drama more a pain in the ar5e having to pull the door trim off to put the mechanism back together.

Does anyone know what should stop the motor when it gets to the bottom whilst going down in auto mode? is there a limit switch inside the motor or something like that?

If i make the window go up in auto mode its stops fine at the top it only when it gets to the bottom that it doesn't stop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, Paul.

Robo
6th September 2013, 01:17 PM
Not to sure about GU, own GQ.
you would think similar.

window motor runs along a large gear and the gear ends ( runs out of teeth to go further).
I had a crook last tooth and motor wound right off the end, so that is something to check.
Fixed that with a dab of weld on last tooth.
After last tooth kinda a stopper, (no more teeth to crank along) offers the motor resistance and electronic unit senses resistance and turns power off when it finds the end of run.
cheers

Bloodyaussie
6th September 2013, 02:05 PM
Think Mudski had problems with his window?? see if he knows what the go is..

firm351
11th September 2013, 06:02 PM
Think Mudski had problems with his window?? see if he knows what the go is..

Thanks BA i just PM'd mudski, hopefully he can help me out.

Yendor
11th September 2013, 06:45 PM
There is a limit switch and there is a rest set procedure. Check out post 24 in this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20513-GU-Drivers-window-goes-down-by-itself!/page3

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, your problem sounds more mechanical.........it's still worth giving it a go.

You don't need to remove the complete door trim, just the master switch assembly to access the hidden switch.

Let us know how you go.

NP99
11th September 2013, 07:01 PM
Elec window switch problems......a master stroke by the Nissan engineers.

happygu
11th September 2013, 07:09 PM
I agree with Yendor, and think it has something to do with the Limit Switch being out of whack.

Here is the reset button for the window limit switch

firm351
11th September 2013, 07:12 PM
There is a limit switch and there is a rest set procedure. Check out post 24 in this thread.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?20513-GU-Drivers-window-goes-down-by-itself!/page3

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, your problem sounds more mechanical.........it's still worth giving it a go.

You don't need to remove the complete door trim, just the master switch assembly to access the hidden switch.

Let us know how you go.

Sweet thanks for that Yendor it think it might be just what i need to do. I'm at work for another week but i will let you know how i go once i've tried it out.

Surely it has to be an electrical fault theres no such thing as a mechanical fault:tease:

mudski
11th September 2013, 07:30 PM
Okay. The issue I had was when I wound the window up it was going back down a few inches by itself after it reached the top. What I did to fix it was to remove the motor from the reg, plug the reg back in and set it to go down, once the motor had stopped I assembled it back together WITH the reg in the correct down position. Worked a treat.
Somehow the motor does stop by itself after a few rotations, don't know what tells it to stop but it does. So when it does stop, re assemble with the reg in the down position and try it.
Just make sure your fingers are well out of the way when you hold the reg and plug it back in as it will chop a finger off without a struggle...

firm351
11th September 2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for that mudski i will try out the limit switch reset button first and if that doesn't work i will have a crack at your solution.

mudski
11th September 2013, 11:27 PM
To be honest I didn't even see this reset switch on mine. Surely I would have seen it on the many times I had the door apart....Maybe not every model has this switch???

firm351
21st September 2013, 07:24 PM
Let us know how you go.

I just tried out the limits reset button but it only seems to reset the top limit. I can set the top limit to any position I like but the bottom limit won't reset. Its still doing the same thing as before so back to the old drawing board I think.

mudski
21st September 2013, 07:41 PM
O.k Pull it apart like I suggested, wind the motor right down until it stops. Put it back together, and try it that way with using the limit reset switch.

Yendor
21st September 2013, 08:24 PM
To be honest I didn't even see this reset switch on mine. Surely I would have seen it on the many times I had the door apart....Maybe not every model has this switch???

Yours should have one.

I found the information in edition one of the GU workshop manual and mine is a series IV and it has the switch so yours should have it.

Maybe you need to put on your glasses.....LOL

Yendor
21st September 2013, 08:25 PM
I just tried out the limits reset button but it only seems to reset the top limit. I can set the top limit to any position I like but the bottom limit won't reset. Its still doing the same thing as before so back to the old drawing board I think.

That's a bugger. I was hoping it was going to be an easy fix for you.

Did you do anything to the window just before it started playing up?

mudski
21st September 2013, 08:44 PM
Yours should have one.

I found the information in edition one of the GU workshop manual and mine is a series IV and it has the switch so yours should have it.

Maybe you need to put on your glasses.....LOL
Now I'm gonna have to got out in the garage tonight and look....