PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed regarding more photo storage!

PMC
6th September 2013, 10:41 AM
G'day Trendsetters,

I am seeking advice regarding photo storage options for sharing photo's for the Patrol forum members.

I am currently using Photobucket, however, i received the following from Photobucket below;

"Hello, RLI1!

Thank you for using Photobucket to upload, create and share your Stories!

We've noticed you've used 91% of your storage. As you approach your free storage limit, we'd like to introduce you to Photobucket Plus. Get the storage you need to continue to store & edit your photos in their original size and resolution.

• Get up to 22GB of storage
• Continue to upload your photos in original size and resolution
• Continue with easy editing tools

Now they want me to take out a payment plan. I only use the facility to share photos for our forum members to help them with build mods. If i have to pay to share info, then i will not post anymore photos. I am doing them a favor as they make money from advertising.

I am seeking advice if there is any other way or another alternative in which i can up-load photos to the forum.

On the Navara forum, it was easy to up-load photos and you did not need to go through Photobucket.

I have over 200 more photos to load up, including a photo manual that i have just produced for forum members regarding the GU 4.2 injector pump. I have also many photos to show members how to tune there 4.2 turbo diesel engines.

PS, i await your advice.

Regards,

RLI
:bowdown:

97EK1
6th September 2013, 10:48 AM
I use tapatalk, I payed an extra $2 for what is now unlimited photo hosting hoorah

Bob
6th September 2013, 10:53 AM
You can upload Photo's to the Forum from your Computer.

When Posting go to advanced and click on the Paper Clip Symbol which will allow for you to select the Pics on your Computer and upload direct to the NPF

Takes a while but it works

If you click on the attached photo it will enlarge and if you click again it will enlarge further

PMC
6th September 2013, 11:53 AM
You can upload Photo's to the Forum from your Computer.

When Posting go to advanced and click on the Paper Clip Symbol which will allow for you to select the Pics on your Computer and upload direct to the NPF

Takes a while but it works

If you click on the attached photo it will enlarge and if you click again it will enlarge further

G'day Bob,

Thanks for that, i will give that option a go!

Regards,

Paul

oncedisturbed
6th September 2013, 12:14 PM
Have a look at yahoo's flickr, from memory they have 1TB of storage free

Never underestimate the power of the darkside, let the tap flow through you.

Winnie
6th September 2013, 12:18 PM
I hate the way photobucket links the photos now. Time for me to make a change too I think

PMC
6th September 2013, 12:24 PM
I hate the way photobucket links the photos now. Time for me to make a change too I think

G'day Winnie,

I agree with you mate, that why i am looking for other options!

Regards,

Paul

Hodge
6th September 2013, 02:58 PM
Also have a look at dropbox mate. Been using it for a while. Does all files too not just photos and it syncs everything between phone, PC or whatever other device you link it to.

Clunk
6th September 2013, 03:03 PM
dropbox is good but only has a 2gb free storage limit too but I believe there are otherways ti get more free storage with dropbox, just cant remember the details right now

P4trol
6th September 2013, 03:43 PM
If you are only using it for photos you post to the forum, stick with the free ones. Most of them require one email address per account.

If only you had another email address...

AB
6th September 2013, 04:59 PM
Loads of room on my server gents, as bob said is the best way for people to see the photos too.

taslucas
6th September 2013, 05:15 PM
Loads of room on my server gents, as bob said is the best way for people to see the photos too.

But they have a size limit don't they? And appear smaller on the page

Petit caillou
6th September 2013, 05:35 PM
Hi,

I use Imageshack (http://www.imageshack.com/), very easy to use.

Best regards
Pierre.

NissanGQ4.2
6th September 2013, 05:40 PM
But they have a size limit don't they? And appear smaller on the page

Yes they have a 1.9MB size limit, and yes the photo's will be smaller ( click on them to enlarge ) than photobucket etc......., but how big do you need the photo's to be to view???

Most of my pics are resized to get them under 1.9mb and they resize down between roughly 200 - 500KB and a fine for viewing on a pc or phone.

The only drawback would be if you were saving the photo's and printing them out on A4 and really who here does that *L*

NissanGQ4.2
6th September 2013, 06:11 PM
Fark Paul thats either a lot of photo's or you upload your photo's to photobucket at the original size that they are taken.

I don't use photobucket anymore, personally I think its a waste of time for me. If I was sharing photo's with multiple forums and friends then yes I would use photobucket because of simply linking and sharing the link on the various forums / friends.

I only upload photo's to this forum and the occasional facebook post so I it's pointless
( waste of time uploading ) for me to upload photo's to photobucket.

There is no need to upload photo's at their original size for the web its pointless and takes longer to upload than smaller file sizes. Just compare uploading 1 digital camera file at say 2-6mb depending on your camera settings to a resized photo at 200-500kb. a lot of difference in time uploading especially when doing a heap of photo's at once.

I use a program called fotosizer: www.fotosizer.com it's fress and relative simple to use.

You can do one photo at a time or batch ( multiply ) photo's

I save all my photo's from digital camera and phone to pc and only resize the photo's I want to upload.

Do you use photobucket as a backup as well hence uploading original file sizes ( which I assume you are doing )??? If so forget it, again there is no point in uploading photo's to various free websites just for a backup.

Back up your photo's to a removable hard drive and keep it at a friend's place or if at home in a fireproof safe. Backing up original size photo's to a removable drive again is much quicker than uploading it to a website.

Thats my 2cents worth on the subject

Out of curiosity, do you backup your important data ( word, exel....etc ) on a regular basis to anywhere other than the pc????

taslucas
6th September 2013, 09:00 PM
Yes they have a 1.9MB size limit, and yes the photo's will be smaller ( click on them to enlarge ) than photobucket etc......., but how big do you need the photo's to be to view???

Most of my pics are resized to get them under 1.9mb and they resize down between roughly 200 - 500KB and a fine for viewing on a pc or phone.

The only drawback would be if you were saving the photo's and printing them out on A4 and really who here does that *L*

They are quite a lot smaller on my laptop..... and when i click to enlarge, they dont get that much bigger........ maybe im getting old eyes.....

BigRAWesty
6th September 2013, 09:15 PM
Create a new account.. Or have a clean out..

Hodge
7th September 2013, 07:00 AM
dropbox is good but only has a 2gb free storage limit too but I believe there are otherways ti get more free storage with dropbox, just cant remember the details right now

I signed up, through my S4. Then installed it to my PC and added it as a sync node, and it gave me 20GB, and then when I added it to my laptop I jumped to 50gb!
I'm pretty sure thats what happened. Looking at my account now I have 50GB and haven't paid a cent. What I love about it, is the speed of upload/download.

PMC
7th September 2013, 07:35 AM
Hi,

I use Imageshack (http://www.imageshack.com/), very easy to use.

Best regards
Pierre.

G'day Pierre,

Thanks mate, i will look into that one as well.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th September 2013, 07:38 AM
I signed up, through my S4. Then installed it to my PC and added it as a sync node, and it gave me 20GB, and then when I added it to my laptop I jumped to 50gb!
I'm pretty sure thats what happened. Looking at my account now I have 50GB and haven't paid a cent. What I love about it, is the speed of upload/download.

G'day Hodge,

Thanks mate, i will look into that one as well.

Regards,

RLI

PMC
7th September 2013, 07:43 AM
Fark Paul thats either a lot of photo's or you upload your photo's to photobucket at the original size that they are taken.

I don't use photobucket anymore, personally I think its a waste of time for me. If I was sharing photo's with multiple forums and friends then yes I would use photobucket because of simply linking and sharing the link on the various forums / friends.

I only upload photo's to this forum and the occasional facebook post so I it's pointless
( waste of time uploading ) for me to upload photo's to photobucket.

There is no need to upload photo's at their original size for the web its pointless and takes longer to upload than smaller file sizes. Just compare uploading 1 digital camera file at say 2-6mb depending on your camera settings to a resized photo at 200-500kb. a lot of difference in time uploading especially when doing a heap of photo's at once.

I use a program called fotosizer: www.fotosizer.com it's fress and relative simple to use.

You can do one photo at a time or batch ( multiply ) photo's

I save all my photo's from digital camera and phone to pc and only resize the photo's I want to upload.

Do you use photobucket as a backup as well hence uploading original file sizes ( which I assume you are doing )??? If so forget it, again there is no point in uploading photo's to various free websites just for a backup.

Back up your photo's to a removable hard drive and keep it at a friend's place or if at home in a fireproof safe. Backing up original size photo's to a removable drive again is much quicker than uploading it to a website.

Thats my 2cents worth on the subject

Out of curiosity, do you backup your important data ( word, exel....etc ) on a regular basis to anywhere other than the pc????

G'day mate,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, i am loading up too big of a file. Unfortunately i am a d!ck-brain when it comes to cameras and computers, i wounder why it was taking ages to up-load photos to Photobucket. I might have to give you a phone call if that is possible, to get some guidance please?

Regards,

Paul

NissanGQ4.2
7th September 2013, 07:58 AM
G'day mate,

I think you have hit the nail on the head, i am loading up too big of a file. Unfortunately i am a d!ck-brain when it comes to cameras and computers, i wounder why it was taking ages to up-load photos to Photobucket. I might have to give you a phone call if that is possible, to get some guidance please?

Regards,

Paul

Paul, download the free version of fotosizer from here ( use the green download now link ) http://www.fotosizer.com/

Install the program, let me know when you have done that and I will post up a help thread when I have time on how to resize using that program. Trust me its very easy to do even for the not so computer literate people.

If you still have troubles after I post up the how to I will PM you my phone number so you can give me a call and I will guide you through it over the phone.

Cheers

Toddie