PDA

View Full Version : When to rebuild a TD42T?

karllovesmercedes
3rd September 2013, 01:23 PM
Hey guys, got a few questions about the TD42T.

I have a 4D56T Pajero at the moment and am stepping up to 4.2 LWB GU Patrol (2005 or 2006 model). The main reason for this is that myself and a group of friends are shipping our trucks (the Patrol and an 80 Series Turbo-Diesel) to Europe for an OE through there and then through Africa and Australia :icon_driving:

The truck I am buying within my price range will have somewhere between 220,000 and 300,000km on it. I am looking at a truck which has not seen any off-road work or towing to ensure the engine is in as good a condition as possible, however the truck will be loaded to GVM all day everyday - especially in Africa with long range tanks as well as water etc. and the trip will take the better part of a year and a half as we will be travelling in excess of 150,000km quite easily :thumbup:

I have read a lot of posts about how to rebuild the engine but nothing really on when, and most people seem to be chasing kilowatts. I have messaged West End Diesel (no reply) and Berrima Diesel. Overall the general response I have got is that a basic service and new injectors will be fine.

However my Pajero has had a really good service history and been owned by a mechanic for most of it's life and is going strong now at 220,000km though is getting oil leaks and parts are starting to wear out such as bearings, pulleys, belts, seals etc. would this not be the same for any diesel, even if they are a legendary engine as most trucks I know get tired and need a good service above the 200,000 mark? :confused:

We cannot afford to have a breakdown or major service somewhere in Africa, I would rather have everything prepped before the trip and do routine servicing than have a turbo seal let go or start getting oil leaks in the Kalahari :P The truck will be built to haul day in and day out with reliability the key factor

My questions are as follow,

- What would you recommend in this case, simple service or complete engine servicing? (Price is not a major factor if it guarantees the truck is reliable for at least another 200,000km)

- What are the approximate pricings for a complete engine reconditioning by a very reputable workshop to get a 250,000km old TD42T into pristine condition for a trip such as this?

- What modifications are recommended while the engine is being serviced? Teflon coating etc and what would the pros and cons be?

- What would you recommend to get the most reliability out of the truck

I really would appreciate any input and your experience and knowledge of this.

Regards, Karl

Winnie
3rd September 2013, 01:25 PM
I can't help with your questions mate, but can you take me on your trip? Sounds like the absolute trip of a lifetime!

rusty_nail
3rd September 2013, 01:27 PM
Hey guys, got a few questions about the TD42T.

I have a 4D56T Pajero at the moment and am stepping up to 4.2 LWB GU Patrol (2005 or 2006 model). The main reason for this is that myself and a group of friends are shipping our trucks (the Patrol and an 80 Series Turbo-Diesel) to Europe for an OE through there and then through Africa and Australia :icon_driving:

The truck I am buying within my price range will have somewhere between 220,000 and 300,000km on it. I am looking at a truck which has not seen any off-road work or towing to ensure the engine is in as good a condition as possible, however the truck will be loaded to GVM all day everyday - especially in Africa with long range tanks as well as water etc. and the trip will take the better part of a year and a half as we will be travelling in excess of 150,000km quite easily :thumbup:

I have read a lot of posts about how to rebuild the engine but nothing really on when, and most people seem to be chasing kilowatts. I have messaged West End Diesel (no reply) and Berrima Diesel. Overall the general response I have got is that a basic service and new injectors will be fine.

However my Pajero has had a really good service history and been owned by a mechanic for most of it's life and is going strong now at 220,000km though is getting oil leaks and parts are starting to wear out such as bearings, pulleys, belts, seals etc. would this not be the same for any diesel, even if they are a legendary engine as most trucks I know get tired and need a good service above the 200,000 mark? :confused:

We cannot afford to have a breakdown or major service somewhere in Africa, I would rather have everything prepped before the trip and do routine servicing than have a turbo seal let go or start getting oil leaks in the Kalahari :P The truck will be built to haul day in and day out with reliability the key factor

My questions are as follow,

- What would you recommend in this case, simple service or complete engine servicing? (Price is not a major factor if it guarantees the truck is reliable for at least another 200,000km)

- What are the approximate pricings for a complete engine reconditioning by a very reputable workshop to get a 250,000km old TD42T into pristine condition for a trip such as this?

- What modifications are recommended while the engine is being serviced? Teflon coating etc and what would the pros and cons be?

- What would you recommend to get the most reliability out of the truck

I really would appreciate any input and your experience and knowledge of this.

Regards, Karl

Hi Karl,

i had a read through your stuff and i know there are alot of people on here that would be more than able to answer your question.

however, just a small matter of courtesy, please pop over to the intro thread and introduce yourself, its just somthing we ask everyone thats new here to do.

good luck with your trip, i look forward to seeing what you end up working out...

cheers

rusty

karllovesmercedes
3rd September 2013, 01:32 PM
I can't help with your questions mate, but can you take me on your trip? Sounds like the absolute trip of a lifetime!
Thanks Winnie, it certainly will be!!! Will be posting updates and plenty of videos on our website when we leave so you can follow us there at least!

Hi Karl,

i had a read through your stuff and i know there are alot of people on here that would be more than able to answer your question.

however, just a small matter of courtesy, please pop over to the intro thread and introduce yourself, its just somthing we ask everyone thats new here to do.

good luck with your trip, i look forward to seeing what you end up working out...

cheers

rusty

Thanks Rusty, sorry about that, I will do that right now!

SupRob
3rd September 2013, 02:11 PM
You cant compair the TD42 to the 4D56 ;-P

Really hard question to answer, would get the injector pump / injectors checked over, mabye take the head off to inspect,

Costs -Reconditioned Injector pump $1595, Reconditioned Injectors $495, Engine rebuild $1100-1700. Then labour rates on top of that.

Teflon coating you shouldnt need, Gauges would be a good idea while driving to keep an eye on temp/boost
I would like to know the fuel quailty in africa :S

Hope some of this helps and very jealous of your trip, hope all goes well.

Rob,

karllovesmercedes
3rd September 2013, 02:50 PM
You cant compair the TD42 to the 4D56 ;-P

Really hard question to answer, would get the injector pump / injectors checked over, mabye take the head off to inspect,

Costs -Reconditioned Injector pump $1595, Reconditioned Injectors $495, Engine rebuild $1100-1700. Then labour rates on top of that.

Teflon coating you shouldnt need, Gauges would be a good idea while driving to keep an eye on temp/boost
I would like to know the fuel quailty in africa :S

Hope some of this helps and very jealous of your trip, hope all goes well.

Rob,

Thanks Rob, sounds fairly priced, I assume the labour will be the big spending,would you have a rough idea of labour cost?

Gauges for sure, EGT, oil pressure + temp, boost and coolant are all going in!

A water separator is also planned just to make sure. We will both be carrying demineralised water, coolant, oil etc. To pretty much fully service the truck on our own should we need.

Am I correct in thinking the '05 or '06 4.2s have a semi-electronic fuel pump?