PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my brakes

florix
3rd September 2013, 09:01 AM
Hi all. I am looking at upgrading my brakes and was wondering what my options are. I was thinking of drilled and slotted but don't know what the effects are off road. I have 35s and 4" flexi lift.
Is there any discs you recommend buying for a 98 GU?

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 09:08 AM
Another member here is thinking of fitting 4.8 rotors and caliphers as they are bigger,
IMO I think just slotted is fine , only for the rubbish we put our 4x4 through

MudRunnerTD
3rd September 2013, 10:08 AM
Decent Brake Pads will make a Massive difference too.

@GUte
5th September 2013, 07:47 PM
Do the 4.8 discs/callipers fit inside 15" rims fella's?

BigRAWesty
5th September 2013, 07:57 PM
Do the 4.8 discs/callipers fit inside 15" rims fella's?

From what I've read, no. But the early model 4.8 brakes do fit with 16" rims

florix
6th September 2013, 08:44 PM
I don't have much clearance left between my discs and the rims (16") but yeah I run bendix (or however its spelt) is there any other better brand?

BigRAWesty
7th September 2013, 11:33 PM
I don't have much clearance left between my discs and the rims (16") but yeah I run bendix (or however its spelt) is there any other better brand?

Don't think so.. Unless you go a softer pad.. Unsure On that one..

geoffayres
8th September 2013, 12:15 AM
I fitted 4.8 rotors, calipers, splash guards, and master cylinder to my Series 1 TD42T.
It stops now.

mudski
9th September 2013, 08:00 PM
I fitted 4.8 rotors, calipers, splash guards, and master cylinder to my Series 1 TD42T.
It stops now.
Hey Hey its old mate from the dark side who gave me tips on my recovery points a while back! How are ya mate?
Back on topic. I have read and hear that there is no need to use the master cylinder from the TB48, just the rotors and calipers is all you need. I have been looking at doing this soon as my brakes are due but everywhere I look, no one has the calipers. They all say, good luck in finding them.

geoffayres
9th September 2013, 08:22 PM
Hey Hey its old mate from the dark side who gave me tips on my recovery points a while back! How are ya mate?
Back on topic. I have read and hear that there is no need to use the master cylinder from the TB48, just the rotors and calipers is all you need. I have been looking at doing this soon as my brakes are due but everywhere I look, no one has the calipers. They all say, good luck in finding them.

Going OK thanks. Hows about you?
They're not easy to find. I tried a few times, on and off. Takes a bit of luck, 'cos a lot are looking, but well worth doing IMO.
I fitted the lot, to be sure everything matched. The TB48 master cylinder has a bigger bore than the Series 1 master cylinder.
I think the bigger bore master cylinder was fitted across the range when TB48's were introduced......don't hold me to it, though.
Just what I could glean from a bit of research through some specs.