PDA

View Full Version : Portable air compressors

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2013, 05:02 PM
I'm in the market for a portable air compressor.
Aldi has one for $100 at 150psi/min
Tigerz11 thumper $139 at 160psi/min

What do you have ????????????

Winnie
2nd September 2013, 05:08 PM
I've got this one

eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400420700469

It's a lot quicker than other 150L jobs as well.

threedogs
2nd September 2013, 05:19 PM
@ winnie link only went to sunglasses,
@ Mego whats your main use to run a locker or to air up after driving around,
If you want the best get AIR ON BOARD where they fit a converted air conditioner compressor.
And in conjunction with an air tank you'll be blowing up lilo's faster too
You'll air up as fast as a servo, have the ability to use a rattle gun out in the bush, not cheap but well worth looking at.
I use what is called the BIG BLACK PUMP, awesome power

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2013, 05:25 PM
ARB Hi Output Compressor is very hard to go past. IMO.

gaddy
2nd September 2013, 05:35 PM
I'm over buying cheap ones , putting the money aside fot a ARB twin

TPC
2nd September 2013, 05:39 PM
I have one of these.
It is not as good quality as an ARB one but does the job for me, have had it for about 7 years and has not failed yet.
The same compressor is sold by several people on ebay and used to be sold by a couple of the auto shops.

I would prefer something like what TD is talking about but I never seem to get around to doing it.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-12V-4x4-4WD-150L-MIN-PORTABLE-AIR-COMPRESSOR-CAR-TYRE-INFLATOR-DEFLATOR-/190893833134?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7228bbae (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-53470-19255-0/1?campid=5336709507&toolid=10001&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F1%2F705-53470-19255-0%2F1%3Fcampid%3D5336709507%26amp%3Btoolid%3D10001 %26amp%3Bmpre%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com.au %252Fitm%252FNEW-12V-4x4-4WD-150L-MIN-PORTABLE-AIR-COMPRESSOR-CAR-TYRE-INFLATOR-DEFLATOR-%252F190893833134%253Fpt%253DAU_Car_Parts_Accessor ies%2526amp%253Bhash%253Ditem2c7228bbae)

NP99
2nd September 2013, 06:12 PM
Mine is a red repco model. I think it's a rebadged tigerz thumper of a rebadged something else. Super fast, heavy and reliable.

lhurley
2nd September 2013, 06:28 PM
I got the single on board ARB model. the reason i didnt get the twin was because the guy at ARB said they have had a heap back because they burn out. The single one does the job pretty well, heaps better then my cheapie. I have seen a twin in action and they are good, but i dont want it if its going to burn out.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2013, 11:24 PM
I've got this one

eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400420700469

It's a lot quicker than other 150L jobs as well.

I heard these Dr Air compressor are identical to Aldi and Terrain tamer also. Externally anyway.

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2013, 11:26 PM
@ Mego whats your main use to run a locker or to air up after driving around,
If you want the best get AIR ON BOARD where they fit a converted air conditioner compressor.
And in conjunction with an air tank you'll be blowing up lilo's faster too
You'll air up as fast as a servo, have the ability to use a rattle gun out in the bush, not cheap but well worth looking at.
I use what is called the BIG BLACK PUMP, awesome power

For the time being it will be n just to air up, then get endless air like you said.
I'll be probably getting E-locker so won't need air for that.

happygu
2nd September 2013, 11:28 PM
ARB Compressor for me....... Last one lasted nearly 20 Years .....

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2013, 11:43 PM
A few mates went out to Blackwood for a wheel on the weekend and they all said couldn't get up muddy slopes just kept getting wheel spin, so I asked if they deflated their tyres and all said no.
So that's why I'm looking for some air.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd September 2013, 12:01 AM
Also what do you use as tyre deflaters.
I think I remember someone selling some which everyone said were the best.
What do you use.
I must check what I have in my recovery bag, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something.
But it's probably a tyre air gauge only.

Avo
3rd September 2013, 12:06 AM
I have a irionman aircompressor,works fine for me.Usually pump up mine and a mates when we go down the coast seems to work ok.letting the tyres down I just take the valve out,nice and quick.Down in the sth wst oz we sometimes go down to as low as 8-10 but mostly 12 lb so it's easier taking the valve out.After a while I can get the valves back in pretty close to the same and just let the last bit out manualy

lhurley
3rd September 2013, 12:20 AM
Also what do you use as tyre deflaters.
I think I remember someone selling some which everyone said were the best.
What do you use.
I must check what I have in my recovery bag, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing something.
But it's probably a tyre air gauge only.

Buy a FERRET. Best thing you will very have, and it fit nicely on your keys. I'm talking about a ferret tyre deflator tool that is made by Ferret on this forum.

cgm
3rd September 2013, 01:08 AM
I heard these ... are identical ...Externally anyway.

That's part of the problem. They "look" the same but doesn't mean they are. A bit like cheap winches. You might get lucky ... I remember quite a few years back one of the shops in the market here had three pumps that all looked identical to the bushranger I'd just bought in Aus for $500. To me they looked absolutely the same except the logo on the bag, but they ranged from $50 to $400. I asked him how I could tell the difference - he told me the truth - I couldn't. All from china in varying levels of quality (or lack of).

The bushranger is about 6 years old now and still going (in my old truck I sold to a friend), so it obviously wasn't the $50 one.

I drowned my Ironman so just bought one from someone who was leaving. A bit big but the quality is excellent.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/product/8/ExtremeAire+12+volt+Compressor.html

https://picasaweb.google.com/103181532170748120389/Patrol_Public?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3OmfK2z_HsCw#5919036 549081653506

For me, especially here in the hot weather, it is something I want to rely on so I reckon it is worth buying a real one if you can afford it. I was hesitating on the ARB because of price, but would have bought it if the other second hand one didn't just come up.

oncedisturbed
3rd September 2013, 02:02 AM
I have 1 of these, 150L p/m and 150 psi - works like a dream

http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/4WD/Typhoon-Air-Compressor#90033711

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 07:45 AM
To deflate tyres I use STAUN deflators I' have them pre-set at 16psi, very simple to use unlike using a stick in the valve.
I think you can now buy them in different pressures, will stick up a pick soon,

The bushranger MAX-AIR is a good pump, as are some double ended jobs
you don't really want one with thermal cut out if mounting it under the bonnet

Winnie
3rd September 2013, 07:47 AM
Buy a FERRET. Best thing you will very have, and it fit nicely on your keys. I'm talking about a ferret tyre deflator tool that is made by Ferret on this forum.

I've got one of them and while it is really good I needed something with a gauge so bought a ironman one, which is identical to the ARB one

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 07:55 AM
With the STAUN you don't need a gauge just screw on and go if you want.
only need a gauge when re-inflating

93patrol
3rd September 2013, 08:07 AM
Make sure you use thread locker on stauns otherwise they move and can deflate your tyre completely also if sand driving make sure they are fully down as sand can get in the deflator and stuff it

taslucas
3rd September 2013, 08:07 AM

Went to a compressor for me?

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 08:10 AM
May have changed it, no big deal summer coming up

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 08:16 AM
I'll put up some pics soon AIR on BOARD costs around $390 and the fitting kit a bit more.
It'll take almost a day to fit as well. Have you thought about fitting a hot dog size tank
on the LH chassis rail for you locker, If I can find a spot Ill mount the tank/motor internally
for Locker and Train horn, the red tank will aid in tyre inflation via my BIG black PUMP

taslucas
3rd September 2013, 08:21 AM
I'll put up some pics soon AIR on BOARD costs around $390 and the fitting kit a bit more.
It'll take almost a day to fit as well. Have you thought about fitting a hot dog size tank
on the LH chassis rail for you locker,

Don't think he needs one for a locker

For the time being it will be n just to air up, then get endless air like you said.
I'll be probably getting E-locker so won't need air for that.

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 08:25 AM
way overkill but boy do they work well,
Roothy used to advertise a SCUBA tank full of compressed air,
good enough to fill well over 4 big 4x4 tyres

Woodsta1704
3rd September 2013, 10:31 AM
I've got the Bushranger Black Max! Its a great pump and hasn't let me down, fills a 33" tyre from 16psi to 38psi in just over a minute. I also use the Staun deflators and I also have an ARB deflator as well just in case I need to go to a lower pressure or a higher pressure depending on the terrain.
Check out the link below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUSHRANGER-BLACK-MAX-4WD-4X4-12-VOLT-PORTABLE-AIR-COMPRESSOR-/200928814232?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec84a6498&_uhb=1

Ronin
3rd September 2013, 11:34 AM
4wd mag had done a comparison of compressors. it can be found here http://www.4wdaction.com.au/sites/default/files/4WD169%20036-054%20FEATURE%20air_2.pdf

also dont forget to check the Duty Cycle as well, its a good indicator of the quality.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd September 2013, 12:24 PM
also dont forget to check the Duty Cycle as well, its a good indicator of the quality.

Problem is many don't give you all the info you want. They just tell you the bits they want.

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 12:30 PM
Duty cycle should be on the label on compressor or on the box it came in.
Might even have a user manual to check

nissannewby
3rd September 2013, 01:19 PM
Duty cycle should be on the label on compressor or on the box it came in.
Might even have a user manual to check

Have you owned an endless air system?

They are good yes but do require routine maintenance. Obviously the are belt driven, there are bearings and seals, they are able to be lubricated but you need to keep on top of this so the insides don't seize up.

nissannewby
3rd September 2013, 01:21 PM
Also MEGOMONSTER have a look at the warn items pricey but have good figures. Other than that I would be going a arb twin item.

Cuppa
3rd September 2013, 01:38 PM
I was going to go with an endless air set up until I found out that in order to fit it to my late TDi42 ute it would involve 'adjusting' a chassis cross member with a big hammer to gain sufficient clearance, so I bought a 12v Boss PX07 (http://www.bossairsuspension.com.au/product/com-px07-12-volt-air-compressor/) instead. Probably best for onboard air rather than setting it up as a portable unit though.
I was put off getting an ARB unit after reading about a few problems. They may have just been one off issues, but the after sales service reports didn't impress me.

Cuppa

Stropp
3rd September 2013, 03:38 PM
i have the single arb portable and i am very impressed, i will eventually install it in the car and run a small tank.
i got the single on the advice from the salesperson at arb as when i said about installing it later they said they had problems with the wiring not being heavy enough on the twins if it was located anywhere except under the bonnet.

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 03:41 PM
@ NN I've only seen the endless air on the PGS tuff truck at the cruiserKhana a few years back.
but at just under $1000 to buy and fit its not for every one
I'm not saying buy one just letting Mego know whats out there.
As with most things they need servicing at regular intervals

@ Cuppa that's the same as my BIG BLACK PUMP just different name
takes a lot to stall them, Best pump bar none IMO
Noticed price has come down heaps too.
I used it with the 5 gal 4 port tank, having NITTO fitting front and rear,
as external air source, ran two lockers ,train horns with ease

Winnie
3rd September 2013, 03:46 PM
A mate has endless air in his 60,he converted the air con pump into an air compressor. Works so well but I'd much rather have air con.

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 04:12 PM
Its a very complex install and as Cuppa found out a 8lb hammer may be required.
Normally they fit a double pulley on the harmonic balancer with brackets going everywhere
If you're running twin alternators you could remove one leaving the biggest Amp one in place,
And make or alter brackets to suit aircon pump. Nothing beats it for airing up off road, great for cleaning air filters too
You could I suppose fit some kind of inline lubricating system [Drip feed]

Winnie
3rd September 2013, 04:16 PM
I am more than happy to wait by the road for 5-10 minutes while airing up with my electric pump.

threedogs
3rd September 2013, 04:24 PM
True, good time to relax while airing up

MEGOMONSTER
3rd September 2013, 07:30 PM
Also MEGOMONSTER have a look at the warn items pricey but have good figures. Other than that I would be going a arb twin item.

I would probably end up with the ARB products but for now, I think cheaper system for now then sell it to someone else cheap who needs it.

MEGOMONSTER
3rd September 2013, 07:37 PM
True, good time to relax while airing up

Sounds like a good time to open a JD.

lhurley
3rd September 2013, 10:48 PM
I would probably end up with the ARB products but for now, I think cheaper system for now then sell it to someone else cheap who needs it.

As much as it hurts initially forking out so much money for an air compressor, it still comes down to do it right the first time.

If i had of bought the compressor i have now 12 months ago when i got my cheapy, it would still be working and i wouldnt of bought 2 in that time, when i only really needed 1.

Clunk
3rd September 2013, 11:22 PM
I paid $75 for my cheap mo name compressor, it's almost 3 years old now and although it's not the fastest quietest thing on the market, it works and never had any problems. I've got a set of Staun tyre deflaters and found them an absolute pain to set up, they're currently set to 26psi. Once set up, they're great, just stick them on and a couple of minutes later jobs a good un. Also have The Ferret deflater, it's Bloomin great. Oh and I carry a separate tyre gauge for those need to know moments.......... Helps keep things a little more compact

cgm
4th September 2013, 06:10 AM
... so I bought a 12v Boss PX07 (http://www.bossairsuspension.com.au/product/com-px07-12-volt-air-compressor/) instead. Probably best for onboard air rather than setting it up as a portable unit though. ...

This thread is starting to get done I guess, but thought I'd add one more post.

Hey Cuppa, that really does look like the same thing as mine in a different brand. Didn't know if you could pick them up in Aus. I actually used mine for the first time over the weekend and ended up doing all 3 vehicles. One guy didn't have a pump yet and the other pump decided it's value limit had been reached!! I won't name the brand, but it was a mid range brand that would carry a two year warranty back home. Don't think that warranty will mean much here. It was probably a $150 - $200 pump. Must have sucked some sand or something. It just won't pump over about 20 psi any more. Might not be it's fault if it got kicked over or something.

I still think a compressor is one of the things that you get what you pay for.

Our pump is listed as 100% duty cycle and I think that is a good sign of the quality and it seemed to go well on the weekend. Still hot here too (about 43 on the day). I will recommend this pump to others (especially back home now I see you can get it).

I tried to unsuccessfully link a pic on the android the other day, but will put one here now I'm on the PC.

MEGOMONSTER
4th September 2013, 10:11 PM
Just looked up the Staun tyre deflaters and couldn't believe my eyes.
$70. To let air out if your tyres.

gaddy
4th September 2013, 10:27 PM
Yep there expensive got mine for Xmas 11 years ago love em . Screw them on wait a couple of minutes and all done

Steve

Clunk
4th September 2013, 10:30 PM

Expensive yes, or you could always go the route of the knock off versions for probably less than have the price

Shaun 4x4
4th September 2013, 10:46 PM
Arb twin air compressor! I bought this about 6 months ago and it is blood fantastic.
100% duty cycle.
I bought the one that comes in the case with the air tank as well.
After a few trips I got sick of pulling it out so now it's installed in the back of the patrol.
I have had no trouble with wiring or the motors burning out.

Get one, you won't regret it, only let done is it doesn't come with an air chuck that has a gauge on it, but I got arb to give me one for free when I bought my compressor ;)

Money-fishing
4th September 2013, 11:06 PM
Stupid question... but can you run an air blow gun off these portable compressors without a compressed air tank?

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2013, 11:29 PM
Stupid question... but can you run an air blow gun off these portable compressors without a compressed air tank?

No not really

MudRunnerTD
4th September 2013, 11:33 PM

They are junk IMO. Had them, Used them Parked them, Sold them. Happy days. forever having to recalibrate them and could never trust them to get ti right. Junk.

I now and have for about 7 years used an ARB EZI Deflator and it is MINT! Cant fault it! Awesome bit of Kit. removes and holds the valve and lets the air out, the gauge is connected to monitor the pressure quickly an efficiently and Fast! did i say Fast!.

I'll be drinking coffee before the stauns are finished for sure. No Contest IMO. the ARB deflator Rocks! Note i have never used the Ferret deflator but hear its great.

Shaun 4x4
4th September 2013, 11:50 PM

Yes you can. It's not quite as strong of a flow without the tank but still works quite well.

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 07:23 AM
They are junk IMO. Had them, Used them Parked them, Sold them. Happy days. forever having to recalibrate them and could never trust them to get ti right. Junk.

I now and have for about 7 years used an ARB EZI Deflator and it is MINT! Cant fault it! Awesome bit of Kit. removes and holds the valve and lets the air out, the gauge is connected to monitor the pressure quickly an efficiently and Fast! did i say Fast!.

I'll be drinking coffee before the stauns are finished for sure. No Contest IMO. the ARB deflator Rocks! Note i have never used the Ferret deflator but hear its great.

http://bit.ly/18DXII6
Is this the one you mean.

Winnie
5th September 2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah that's identical to the ARB and ironman one

threedogs
5th September 2013, 08:20 AM
Off Topic but I've had My Staun deflators since they first came out, still work a treat, I'm happy with the way they work.
With the ARB deflator you can only deflate one tyre at a time, by removing valve stem you release air way much faster.
The day of using a stick are long gone, BTW I have bushranger air gauge /deflator, no probs.
Should have shown you Mego when around, I have heaps of different pumps from over the years.
Thomas Bullet make an awesome double ender, made in the USA

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 11:33 AM
Went to Aldi to have look at seems ok but has a duty cycle of only 20mins @ 40psi with ambient temp 24 degs.
Max 150 lpm but operating pressure 72 lpm.

lorrieandjas
5th September 2013, 11:41 AM
Hey Mego - have used the ARB portable single for ages and never had an issue. Can do multiple 4wd's without issue. The model is CKMP12 – High Output Portable.

Jas

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 10:21 PM
Hey Mego - have used the ARB portable single for ages and never had an issue. Can do multiple 4wd's without issue. The model is CKMP12 – High Output Portable.

Jas

Finished early today and went to ARB to get some quotes for various items.
E-Z tyre deflator @ $60
CKMA12 ARB air compressor on board for $510 fully installed.
Think I might just bite the bullet and get this onboard system.

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 10:54 PM
I also spoke to "the ferret" in regards to the worlds fastest tyre deflators,
The Ferret deflators.
I have sent an email to him and placed an order.
mailto:sales@ferret4x4.com.au

Sir Roofy
5th September 2013, 10:55 PM
finished early today and went to arb to get some quotes for various items.
E-z tyre deflator @ $60
ckma12 arb air compressor on board for $510 fully installed.
Think i might just bite the bullet and get this onboard system.

i bit the bullet the other day and it left a huge hole in my safe
was a prezy for the beast

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 11:00 PM
i bit the bullet the other day and it left a huge hole in my safe
was a prezy for the beast

And what did you end up getting.

So I guess the bullet bit back.

Clunk
5th September 2013, 11:04 PM
The Ferret deflators.

Damn good product mate, nice and compact. All you've got to remember is 1 second = 1Psi if you're running 31s or equivalent and I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure he said he could calibrate it if you ran larger tyres.

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 11:20 PM
The Ferret deflators.

"The Ferret Deflators" are $30 each.
Very easy to deal with and super quick on responding. But I think I got lucky. Lol

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 11:40 AM
I have just ordered the ARB high output on board air compressor at $510 fitted and will get it fitted with bullbar, scrub bars, side sliders, winch, UHF plus aerial, Outback ideas front recovery points, and MSA shovel and jack holder.

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 11:42 AM
I have just ordered the ARB high output on board air compressor at $510 fitted and will get it fitted with bullbar, scrub bars, side sliders, winch, UHF plus aerial, Outback ideas front recovery points, and MSA shovel and jack holder.

And I'm getting the ARB E-Z deflator and winch cable dampener thrown in.

TPC
6th September 2013, 12:40 PM
I thought you were just after a cheap portable compressor, find some money some ware?

gaddy
6th September 2013, 01:02 PM
Reminds me of when I brought my boat , went out to buy a spare prop for the old boat , never got the prop , but the new boat came with one!
Took my dsughter to the hospital to see her specialist saw the trol on the side of the road , bought that too , I'm not allowed out any more !!

Steve

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 01:15 PM
I thought you were just after a cheap portable compressor, find some money some ware?

The forum has the power to change minds.

TPC
6th September 2013, 01:27 PM
The forum has the power to change minds.
The forum has the power to keep us all broke.

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 01:29 PM
The forum has the power to keep us all broke.

That too...... Lol

threedogs
6th September 2013, 01:32 PM
@ Mego will be soon time to test all this new gear, in a controlled manner

Maybe a trial run up Tallarook??

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 02:14 PM
@ Mego will be soon time to test all this new gear, in a controlled manner

Maybe a trial run up Tallarook??

Lift and tyres and I'll be ready to go. Straight up big red. Maybe not.

MudRunnerTD
6th September 2013, 03:48 PM
Lift and tyres and I'll be ready to go. Straight up big red. Maybe not.

Hell Yeah! 2014 mate! Bring it on!!

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks Guys, for all your help, advise, and input into this thread and hopefully others find it just as useful.
Time for me to find my next topic/project.

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:13 PM
The Ferret deflators.

monies have been sent, lets see how long they take to get here. I'm getting there, slowly ticking items off the list.

Money-fishing
6th September 2013, 08:22 PM
Finished early today and went to ARB to get some quotes for various items.
E-Z tyre deflator @ $60
CKMA12 ARB air compressor on board for $510 fully installed.
Think I might just bite the bullet and get this onboard system.

That's exactly what I'm getting done early oct. did you get the 6m hose kit too?

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:35 PM
That's exactly what I'm getting done early oct. did you get the 6m hose kit too?

yeah it comes complete with the compressor.

Money-fishing
6th September 2013, 08:43 PM
yeah it comes complete with the compressor.

Are you sure? Mine cost me an extra $55

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:46 PM
Are you sure? Mine cost me an extra $55

Sorry, I remember now it was quoted in the original $510 fitted quote.

Money-fishing
6th September 2013, 08:54 PM
It's easy to forget that bit ;). You got a good price on that mate. Well done.

MEGOMONSTER
6th September 2013, 08:57 PM
It's easy to forget that bit ;). You got a good price on that mate. Well done.

So I should, I've spent 6-7 grand there.

cgm
6th September 2013, 11:14 PM

Ha Ha, a bit different than a trip to Aldi for a cheap compressor!

Although it adds up and that can be painful in itself, every time I make the choice to buy something of quality, that will last, I come away feeling satisfied. Only rarely does that happen when buying something cheap.

All the best with all the gear. I think you've made the right choice.

MEGOMONSTER
7th September 2013, 06:23 AM
Ha Ha, a bit different than a trip to Aldi for a cheap compressor!

Although it adds up and that can be painful in itself, every time I make the choice to buy something of quality, that will last, I come away feeling satisfied. Only rarely does that happen when buying something cheap.

All the best with all the gear. I think you've made the right choice.

I just come to the conclusion of I never have to remember if its in the back, don't have to carry it loose in the back, and what happens IF I change my mind and go Air lockers (probably years away anyway)

FNQGU
7th September 2013, 04:28 PM
Make sure you use thread locker on stauns otherwise they move and can deflate your tyre completely also if sand driving make sure they are fully down as sand can get in the deflator and stuff it

Not sure I understand that? Are you driving around with your Staun deflators still on the valve stems?

I thought the idea was to simply screw them on one at a time and by the time you got back to the first tyre, it had stopped deflating, or almost. Then unscrew them and put them away for next time. I certainly wouldn't trust them to be left on the whole time, but I might be misunderstanding what you are saying.

threedogs
7th September 2013, 04:47 PM
@ Ben-K that's how I use them I wouldn't leave them on.

93patrol
8th September 2013, 05:14 PM
Some people put the deflators on then drive off but the proper way is to deflate before driving off.

The reason I said out thread locker on is when you put the deflators on you are screwing them on and if you use the wrong part to grab you can unknowingly adjust the deflator

FNQGU
8th September 2013, 07:31 PM
Now I get you. Thread lock on the adjusting ring thread or whatever it is called? Not a bad idea I suppose. Hadn't thought of that.

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2013, 07:49 AM
Now that I have my air compressor, 34478I was thinking last night that it would handy to have the outlet outside the car, perhaps on the bullbar, saving opening the bonnet.
Has anyone done this, if so, where have they put it.

Winnie
21st September 2013, 08:26 AM
You'll be spending 15 minutes to air up anyway Mick, what's an extra 5 seconds to open the bonnet? And I reckon it would not look too good on your nice new bullbar!

taslucas
21st September 2013, 08:26 AM
Now that I have my air compressor, 34478I was thinking last night that it would handy to have the outlet outside the car, perhaps on the bullbar, saving opening the bonnet.
Has anyone done this, if so, where have they put it.

Yep, lots of people have done that. Usually put the outlet onto the bullbar or rear bar and cover with a little plastic cap to stop dirt getting in when not in use

Shaun 4x4
21st September 2013, 01:20 PM
Megomonster, did you install the compressor or did arb do it?

megatexture
21st September 2013, 01:30 PM
Megomonster, did you install the compressor or did arb do it?

Arb fitted it.

Regarding the pump connection,
I'd be putting one both ends so you can pump the front end and then move to the rear and hopefully it might reach the trailer also.

Shaun 4x4
21st September 2013, 01:31 PM
I was told by my arb stall that they don't put them under the hood any more as they get covered in to much crap.

megatexture
21st September 2013, 01:35 PM
Maybe they looked at mego's polished rig and didnt see it being an issue lol:smileyvault-cute-bi

Shaun 4x4
21st September 2013, 01:37 PM
Hahaha. Good point.

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2013, 02:12 PM
Arb fitted it.

Regarding the pump connection,
I'd be putting one both ends so you can pump the front end and then move to the rear and hopefully it might reach the trailer also.

Good idea, I like it a lot and makes a lot of sense. How would you get to the rear and using what material.

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2013, 02:13 PM
I was told by my arb stall that they don't put them under the hood any more as they get covered in to much crap.

They told me where they're going to mount it. Was happy when they under the bonnet.

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2013, 02:14 PM
Maybe they looked at mego's polished rig and didnt see it being an issue lol:smileyvault-cute-bi

Ooooooh c'mon, she won't live on Toorak forever. Lol.

megatexture
21st September 2013, 02:19 PM
Air compressor hose and zip tie it to the chassis what fitting did the hose come with ? Just get the same fitting the compressor has on it and a t piece to split it front and back.

MEGOMONSTER
21st September 2013, 02:22 PM
Air compressor hose and zip tie it to the chassis what fitting did the hose come with ? Just get the same fitting the compressor has on it and a t piece to split it front and back.

I was thinking get some stainless tube bent to suit. At least it won't deteriorate over time but I guess once dented would restrict flow. Hmmmmmmm.

megatexture
21st September 2013, 02:28 PM
Its easy to replace a hose and they do last.

I think the arb come with these fittings http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-tool-accessories/5-piece-solid-brass-industrial-uick-coupler-set-68237.html
You will need two female ones and a t-piece and some hose clamps you could put a male under the bonnet so if the hose gets split etc you can unplug it from the compressor and use the hose straight off the pump also

threedogs
21st September 2013, 02:31 PM
You can mount a tank on the chassis rail but you'll need an air manifold, one way valve, and pressure switch
or mount tank inside left rear quarter panel cavity like some others.

MEGOMONSTER
29th September 2013, 10:49 PM
On the way back from Bacchus marsh/wombat, I'm going to buy a mate a new thumper portable air compressor from Tigerz in Melton.

MEGOMONSTER
30th September 2013, 07:54 PM
I am now do glad to have purchased and fitted the ARB air compressor.
Did all four tyres 18psi to 40 in about 15 mins.