PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand Patrol price differences

Jimmyjazzy
2nd September 2013, 01:18 PM
-in the very early stages at looking for a 2nd hand Patrol - wont be doing anything till next year but just starting to get a 'feel' for things. One thing I've noticed is a massive difference in price for seemingly similar models but with different engines. eg, anything with a 4.2L seems to be heaps dearer. Are there two totally different models or is just the engine that is different?
Also, anything else you should look out for / avoid in the second hand market?
Thankyou

MEGOMONSTER
2nd September 2013, 01:27 PM
-in the very early stages at looking for a 2nd hand Patrol - wont be doing anything till next year but just starting to get a 'feel' for things. One thing I've noticed is a massive difference in price for seemingly similar models but with different engines. eg, anything with a 4.2L seems to be heaps dearer. Are there two totally different models or is just the engine that is different?
Also, anything else you should look out for / avoid in the second hand market?
Thankyou

Anything with a 4.2 and turbo will have a premium price even if the body isn't 100%.

gaddy
2nd September 2013, 03:28 PM
They just keep on going and going and going , not the fastest although theres s few on here getting some pretty high hp figures , and they seem to be getting it and still been reliable

Steve

Winnie
2nd September 2013, 03:38 PM
Are you looking at GU or GQ? If you can then go for the 4.2 diesel every time but the other engines are all good too. Be careful with the early 3L diesel engine though.

taslucas
2nd September 2013, 05:11 PM
How much can you spend?
GQs:
The GQs had a 4.2 litre petrol called the TB42(strong, reliable, long lasting but thirsty. Comes with a carby or efi which is slightly less thirsty), a 3 litre petrol called an RB30 (higher revving fairly strong also thirsty but not as much as the TB42. They are the same engines as in vl commodores and skylines but are carby only in patrols), a 2.8 litre diesel called an RD28 (I think) (a bit under powered but reliable and strong), and lastly the most sort after engine(and therefore more expensive), the 4.2 litre diesel called the TD42 (very strong, and reliable for very high kms, good fuel economy, the ultimate touring engine. They come naturally aspirated and a little sluggish but will pull all day long. It is very common to put an aftermarket turbo on them-even at 300,000 k's or more to give them more go. A few guys on here are over the 200kw mark)

BigRAWesty
2nd September 2013, 06:00 PM
Quite simply you pay for what you get.. Want a solid engine then you'll be paying for it..

taslucas
2nd September 2013, 06:12 PM
Quite simply you pay for what you get.. Want a solid engine then you'll be paying for it..

I think the op is inquiring which engines/models ARE the solid ones. Ya can't judge what's better by price alone as there are bargains and also ripoffs out there

BigRAWesty
2nd September 2013, 06:58 PM
I think the op is inquiring which engines/models ARE the solid ones. Ya can't judge what's better by price alone as there are bargains and also ripoffs out there

Well yes, it is a little more detailed..
But a Newbie said, the TD's fetch a premium followed by the TB's, then the smaller engines.
Accessories do add a little, but only things like bar work, winches, lifts etc.
But ask questions.. Dont pay for cheap accessories like tigerz or no name eBay stuff.. So if it's not pictured ask..

Jimmyjazzy
2nd September 2013, 10:38 PM
Are you looking at GU or GQ? If you can then go for the 4.2 diesel every time but the other engines are all good too. Be careful with the early 3L diesel engine though.

-not really set on either, it will depend on whats around for my budget, planning on spending anywhere from 15 to 25k. What were the issues with early 3l engines, and what year models?

Jimmyjazzy
2nd September 2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info! Will keep reading up.

Cuppa
2nd September 2013, 10:55 PM
Levels of 'fit out' aside (DX, ST etc) a diesel GU is a GU regardless of whether it has a 2.8, 3.0 or 4.2 fitted. All is the same except for the motor. The reason that the TD42's command a premium price is because they are widely considered to be the best, strongest & longest lasting motor. Their prices would most likely be less than they are if they were still being built, but a new TD42 engined Patrol has not been available since 2006.

Squalo
3rd September 2013, 10:54 AM
-not really set on either, it will depend on whats around for my budget, planning on spending anywhere from 15 to 25k. What were the issues with early 3l engines, and what year models?

The ZD30 was released in 2000, this iteration is called the DI (for Direct Injection). Some of these engines went bang at around 100,000km, largely due to overfueling/overboosting. You can help avoid this by fitting boost and EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) gauges, to monitor boost levels and respond accordingly before any damage is done. The issue appears to have been largely confined to 2000-2003 models, although some later motors have also had problems. But any engine can have problems, and we don't know the service history or treatment in most cases. DIs can be easily identified by the silvcer cover around the top-mounted intercooler.

In 2007 the ZD30 got Common Rail fuel injection and this model - the CRD - is a far better engine, with a much better reliability track record so far. CRDs can be easily identified by the black cover around the top-mounted intercooler.

The TD42 can be found in naturally aspirated or turbo form in both GQ and GU Patrols, but was phased out in 2006 as modifying it to meet incoming pollution regulations was deemed to be too expensive. It is basically a truck engine, that's why it is so strong and reliable.

$25k will get you an early GU with a TD42T if you shop around. You can also get a CRD for that sort of money. IMO an auto CRD Patrol is the best all-round combination, and you can modify the motor with a bigger exhaust and chip (and a larger intercooler if you want to spend) to spice up the performance a bit.

Cuppa
3rd September 2013, 01:05 PM
Perhaps those with the relevant experience might comment on the 'forte' of the different motors in use. Eg. Towing, low speed 'gnarly' 4wd'ing, off road hill climbing, mud, sand etc. I know they'll all do all of those things, but comments about ease/revs etc may assist potential new Patrollers?

Cuppa

SonOf
4th September 2013, 08:43 PM
As pretty much noted TD42,s are higher in price and depending on the age some insurers market value is way lower than what you pay. Mine is 99 GU and cost me 19k and AMMI notes 8k market value. My 2003 GU 3ltr (for sale) has a market insurance value of 16k and I am struggling to get 13k for it. 3lts had piston issue fixed by the 03 model but there is the head issues you will read about them up to 04 if I am correct?

They are a good little engine overall, just look for ones with nads fitted. Good luck

taslucas
4th September 2013, 09:04 PM
As pretty much noted TD42,s are higher in price and depending on the age some insurers market value is way lower than what you pay. Mine is 99 GU and cost me 19k and AMMI notes 8k market value.

wow, 8k??? i paid 5 for my high k's TB42 GQ and the insurers market value is 9!

SonOf
4th September 2013, 09:31 PM
hence I am looking for a better insurer.

Bush Ranger
6th September 2013, 10:13 AM
Try Shannons. You can do a quote on their web page before going a head with the policy. Tell them that you are a 4wd enthusiast, you get on to this web site, read 4x4 mags etc etc, if they happen to ask. I had to say I`m right in to it years a go for a motor cycle just to get insurance. Apparently they do an agreed value.

Lewy
6th September 2013, 10:32 AM
I have mine insured with Shannon's and I got a first buy back option and its insured for 48K :-) I have spent WAY more than that on it! But Its better than the 28K Suncrap AKA suncorp offed!!

If you can find a 4.2 for a price your happy to pay you will not be disappointed... The ZD30s are a good motor wile they are running!! But I dont like having to wonder every time I go out if this is the last time it will be still running LOL

Lewy

tracemul7
6th September 2013, 10:29 PM
Interesting thoughts on costs of Patrols around ..... I have recently upgraded from 97 GQ ST 2.8td with 410,000km (Sold for $8k) and bought a 06 GU ST 3.0td with 135,000km (paid $28k).
Dont know about other states, but here in SA there isn't much decent available for good money. We opted for lower mileage and good condition with full Nissan service history, but paid the premium for that. Haven't seen any 4.2's in my searching :(
Since buying our newer Patrol, we have 2 friends who have also bought Patrols - and they love them too! Never heard anyone be disappointed :)

Bush Ranger
13th September 2013, 11:50 AM
I have mine insured with Shannon's and I got a first buy back option and its insured for 48K :-) I have spent WAY more than that on it! But Its better than the 28K Suncrap AKA suncorp offed!!

If you can find a 4.2 for a price your happy to pay you will not be disappointed... The ZD30s are a good motor wile they are running!! But I dont like having to wonder every time I go out if this is the last time it will be still running LOL

Lewy

I had to laugh at that. Be a recovery that you wouldn`t want to do. Mind you, I own a 2001 GU and never really thought about it and I have had to replace the MAF sensor, which seems to be the in thing to do with GUs from time to time and the EGR Stepper Motor was on the way out and needed to be replaced. Wondering if I should start worrying now on that recovery, lol.

Swazi
17th September 2013, 06:03 AM
I have just been through buying an older Patrol for the first time. It is interesting that the same thoughts prevail despite the distance apart - you have to look hard and be careful to check as much as you can before buying an old one. That goes for any car I guess, but the older Patrols are quite amazing how they survive the years in pretty good nick. I bought mine 1 month ago. It travels exactly like the forum said - although it wheezes on the hills it feels like it will take us to the end of the world. It is a 1998, 4.2D, with 230,000km on the clock. The cost was equivalent to A$13k which although above the "market" rate I thought was worth it as it had full service hostory and has been immaculately kept. I aslo was not keen on the 3.0TD engines, and having experience both a 4.5 and 4.8P through family members was fearful of the petrols prodigeous thirst. The dealer was quite happy to introduce me the the previous owner, and I was also able to contact the garage that serviced it for the last 5 years. I serviced it myself immediately and was pleased at how easy it was. It has not done any mileage since "delivery" to our home in Swaziland. Although it is RSA registered it is fairly easy to keep it in this small country just north. We are very pleased with the inside space and look forward to testing it fullly loaded on the Mozambique coast as soon as an opportinty presents.

The Aus market seems to offer a huge amount more choice - especially as far as the 4.2D is concerned. I would recommend going for it but with as much caution as possible. GIven time a really good one can be found!

B rad
17th September 2013, 06:40 PM
I have a 4.2 gu is the best vehicle I have ever bought for many reasons it just keeps proving it self over and over again I HAD A 2000 Model which was so good I went and bought a brand new one in 2005 now they are rare as hens teeth iwant to buy another one for later just in case

Swazi
23rd September 2013, 04:40 AM
Wishful thinking in this end of the world. They only had them on the market from '98 to '99. After that it was the 3.0. I would buy a new one if I could find it.