PDA

View Full Version : HI, - which ute - your opinions sought.

Cuppa
9th January 2011, 09:31 PM
G'day folks,
12 months ago we bought an immaculate low kms '92 Troopy with the intention of converting it to a remote area long distance camper. We have now realised that it was the wrong choice for us. Two reasons, limited access to stuff stored in the back - it's a long way in from the back doors. And it's height - we want to use a rooftop tent. The height means setting up & packing away the tent would be a real stretch & the narrow width of the troopy combined with it's height make a rocky night in even the slightest wind.

Sooo... we have now decided to go for a ute/cab chassis with a metal 'gull wing' canopy & are currently trying to decide which ute to buy. It seems to me that utes are overpriced in comparison to wagons & sedans, but I guess that's just the way it is.

We want a diesel vehicle which we can reliably take to Australia's remotest areas for many years to come.
Our choice seems to come down to a 70 series Cruiser ute or a GU Patrol cab chassis. The ex Telstra Patrols (Intercooled TD) are looking very attractive to us but we may struggle to afford one with less than 200,00kms on it. I would welcome opinions on whether a Patrol of this mileage would be a wise or foolish buy, given our intended usage.

Maybe we should look for an older, low km normally aspirated Patrol (or cruiser) similar to our Troopy? I must admit though, the extra comfort a more modern vehicle offers is quite attractive.

The Navara/Hilux/Triton/Rodeo group of 4x4's would likely suit us, but I wonder if they would have the same longevity for years of outback use?

Is it correct that the Cruiser & Patrol are the only 4x4's with a full chassis?

I look forward to your thoughts.

regards
Cuppa

YNOT
9th January 2011, 10:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Cuppa.

As long as the car has been properly maintained 200,000km is nothing for a Patrol 4.2 diesel, it's just been run in!
With GU Patrol utes there was an option to have a leaf spring or coil spring back end. Leaves are better for load carrying and is what nearly all Telstra utes were specced with. Leaf back end also came with a bigger full floating diff.
Coil back end is more comfortable and flexes a lot better, and although the diff is smaller than the leaf spring diff it is still very strong. Heavier coil springs can easily be fitted to carry heavier loads but you need to strengthen/brace the upper spring mounts.

The mid sized utes are very good, but the Patrols and Cruisers (over priced like any Toyota) are better.
Land Rover Defender ute also has a full chassis, but I don't think anyone has ever used the words "Land Rover Defender" and "comfort" in the same sentence.

Obviously we are a bit (very) biased here, but we all recommend Patrols, and they don't get any better than one powered by the mighty TD42.

Tony

Finly Owner
9th January 2011, 10:55 PM
Why not look at getting a MK ute with SD3.3T and 5spd. still good stong unit as long as you get a clean one(little rust). And more affordable. Can still get them with lower K's and ingood nick just need to look around.

Oh and welcome to Nissans Nut house

Tim

Cuppa
9th January 2011, 11:14 PM
and they don't get any better than one powered by the mighty TD42.

Hi Tony,
The TD42 does seem to have a reputation for 'keeping on keeping on'. Is there a lot of difference between turbo & non turbo in terms of life expectancy? (everything else being equal).

Tim, I'm not familiar with MK's - More Google research.

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

Cuppa

YNOT
9th January 2011, 11:17 PM
Maintained properly and driven sensibly both will have a life expectancy well past 500,000km.

Tony

Cuppa
9th January 2011, 11:25 PM
And are turbos reliable, especially in high ambient temperatures? I've never owned a turbo, & everything i read seems to suggest that many people obsess about egt's. Makes me worry that maybe a turboed vehicle might be more prone to overheating in the tropics?

Cuppa

DX grunt
9th January 2011, 11:27 PM
Hey Cuppa

I've got an ex Telstra ute and absolutely love it. Have a read of my ride and I'll get back to u tomorrow.

Been a reeeeeeaaaallllllly long day at work. Check out my truck.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?139-DX-grunt...-in-the-flesh

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

Finly Owner
9th January 2011, 11:29 PM
Hi Tony,
The TD42 does seem to have a reputation for 'keeping on keeping on'. Is there a lot of difference between turbo & non turbo in terms of life expectancy? (everything else being equal).

Thanks for the welcome fellas.

Cuppa

Checkout my profile and go to members ride and see about "FINLY" but is wagon

Cuppa
10th January 2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks Ross, I'd already found your pics & have been drooling over them. They are the only pics I could find on the web that show how the rear spare carriers fold down. Nice, simple & effective.
Cuppa

GUte
10th January 2011, 01:50 AM
Where are you based (assuming tropics)?

Just for your interest, this one has been for sale for quite some time over here in WA
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=9714039&YearFromShort=1644&__Qpb=true&Cr=2&__Ns=pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201252%201282%204294963846%2042949 63358%20904%201560%20%201644&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&__No=15&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=25&__sid=12C30D682CEE

200k is nothing for these engines. The fact that these have been around for over 20 years in some form, means parts are in very good supply pretty much anywhere in Australia, so if something does go wrong, parts can be shipped in from the nearest major town over night

Good luck with the hunt!

YNOT
10th January 2011, 05:51 AM
And are turbos reliable, especially in high ambient temperatures? I've never owned a turbo, & everything i read seems to suggest that many people obsess about egt's. Makes me worry that maybe a turboed vehicle might be more prone to overheating in the tropics?

Cuppa

The factory turbo's are very reliable.

EGT's are a product of engine tuning not ambient temperatures. I recommend fitting boost and pyro (EGT) gauges to any turbo diesel for peace of mind. Most of the time while cruising EGT's will sit around 2-300 degrees, but under full load for more that 10 to 15 seconds will climb to about 500. If the engine is tuned properly they wont go above 500 to 550 which won't put undue stress on the engine cooling system. Again the cooling system needs to be maintained properly as with any car.

I would have full confidence in a turbo TD42.

Tony

DX grunt
10th January 2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks Ross, I'd already found your pics & have been drooling over them. They are the only pics I could find on the web that show how the rear spare carriers fold down. Nice, simple & effective.
Cuppa

Thanks Cuppa.

Here's the reference to make you drool even further. Lots of products so go through the whole website.

http://www.roscos.com/Big-Al-BA1.html

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

AB
10th January 2011, 09:44 AM
Welcome to the forum Cuppa, I see your fitting in nicely mate so ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 09:50 AM
Welcome to the forum mate. I will not add my 2 cents as every one else has already said it.

Bigrig
10th January 2011, 09:53 AM
G'day mate - welcome aboard and great introduction. Plenty of useful information, heaps of great people, and a good laugh to be had also on the forum, so feel free to get amongst the conversations and make the most of it. Don't forget to throw some happy snaps of your rig up in the members ride section - we never get bored of looking at them!!! I'll leave the question to the others on here as I have nothing to add about utes - all I can say is I had a 1990 GQ Trayback that I used years ago to carry steel (recycling job with my old man) and I bought it with 173000klms on it with leaf spring setup - put about 25000 k's on it in the following 12 months or so carrying WAY too much weight on a consistent basis and it dead set never missed a beat - so they are definitely tough and well equipped to handle the weight factor. Good luck with the hunt!!! At the end of the day the decision is yours, but sure hope to see you back on the forum with a new cab/chassis Patrol !!!!!

Cuppa
10th January 2011, 09:06 PM
Drat! the two ex telstra patrols for sale in Vic have both now been removed from the ' net, presumably sold.

If anyone hears of others coming up for sale, I'd appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks again for the welcomes. This is a pretty friendly forum.

regards
Cuppa

Sir Roofy
10th January 2011, 09:31 PM
welcome aboard cuppa ots of help here mate
what part of gippy are you at

cheers roofy

DX grunt
10th January 2011, 11:37 PM
Try this website. I have no knowledge of the vendors or the vehicles offered for sale. Buyer beware.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars-for-sale/perth/nissan/patrol/pg1/@spg4/l3results.html

Scroll right through to page 11. There's a heap of utes on this website.

Ross

Cuppa
11th January 2011, 12:51 AM
what part of gippy are you at

Up in the Strzleckis south of Traralgon roofy.

Thanks Ross, shame they're all over west.
I notice that they don't all have all the options fitted (eg winch & bullbar.)

DX grunt
11th January 2011, 08:21 AM
Up in the Strzleckis south of Traralgon roofy.

Thanks Ross, shame they're all over west.
I notice that they don't all have all the options fitted (eg winch & bullbar.)

I've noticed with the Telstra trucks, it's 'luck of the draw' with what they come with. Many come with all the shelving in the back, mine came with nothing in the back.

What's the pricing like in WA compared to over east?

Cuppa
11th January 2011, 11:25 AM
I've noticed with the Telstra trucks, it's 'luck of the draw' with what they come with. Many come with all the shelving in the back, mine came with nothing in the back.

What's the pricing like in WA compared to over east?

I think pricing is pretty similar, but hard to tell with just a few to compare. Also it's like comparing apples & oranges when some are better equipped than others. I note however that things like a lack of winch &/or bullbar doesn't seem to affect the price that much.

Cuppa

AB
11th January 2011, 11:43 AM
Interesting website you have there Cuppa, some good photos and info!

Cuppa
11th January 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks AB, happy to share what experiences I've had with others.

Cuppa

patch697
25th January 2011, 10:30 AM
Welcome on board & I hope you enjoy the forum.