PDA

View Full Version : Ran off the road and rolled

Benno7
9th January 2011, 09:22 PM
Ok yesterday afternoon I was heading home from camping (In my pathfinder) as I was heading up the dirt road (doing about 15-20kmhr) from the camp site a car came hooking around a corner in the middle of the road (its only just wide enough for two cars) I had no choice but to get out of his way and I got to close to the edge and rolled down the hill (very steep) I think about six times (30-40mtrs down).
The two of us in the pathy are fine just a few minor cuts.
Now I measured the road ( Im calling it a road because it runs down to a very popular camp site many cars and caravans use it) where I came off and it measured 4100mm Not very wide.
I havent contacted my insurance yet I will first thing in the morning (only took out insurance on it last thurs lucky).
Should I contact DSE and Parks about it? ( I have already been in contact with the police).
Has anyone else had any similar experiences if so what did you do?
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd478/benno7/IMG_0798.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd478/benno7/IMG_0805.jpg

NissanGQ4.2
9th January 2011, 09:25 PM
Glad 2 hear your both ok, did the wanker pull over or keep going, sounds like they didn't stop

Almost Dun
9th January 2011, 09:29 PM
Wow looks like a fair drop , glad your all ok !

Benno7
9th January 2011, 09:30 PM
they didnt know I rolled until their mates told them and then they came back. it was only 200m from the camp site

Maxhead
9th January 2011, 09:35 PM
Glad you are both OK mate.....cars can be replaced.
What an unfortunate end to your camping trip.

Benno7
9th January 2011, 09:39 PM
We were very lucky to just walk away from it.
The roof was sitting just below the head rests I had the highlift jack in there just so I could get back in it.

Bigrig
9th January 2011, 09:41 PM
Seriously mate - looks nasty and glad you shaped up OK!!

Benno7
9th January 2011, 09:48 PM
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd478/benno7/IMG_0799.jpg
http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd478/benno7/IMG_0801.jpg

gec
9th January 2011, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear your both OK, I hope ya insurance come to the party for ya.

YNOT
9th January 2011, 10:31 PM
Good to hear you are both OK, it could have been a lot worse.

Tony

Finly Owner
9th January 2011, 10:45 PM
If you got his details, and it is a gazette public access, then your insurance should pay up. Draw some diagrams NOW while fresh in mind to use as evidence l8r just in case this goes to court.

Glad to know pathfinders can save lives though. Sorry to see it lost like that.

Tim

the evil twin
9th January 2011, 10:46 PM
Strewth... glad your Ok.

Short of tyre track evidence or independant witnesses it might be tough to apportion blame tho but that will be for teh insurers to duke out.

AS for cover I am happy to pay just a little extra for coverage (Allianz thru TCIS) that has a guaranteed no geographic limit IE anywhere, anytime totally covered

Benno7
9th January 2011, 10:58 PM
I didnt get any of his details but one of the blokes with me got a photo of his no. plate.
With witnesses may be a problem for me because it was me and a mate and there were five of them. But I have plenty of photos

Finly Owner
9th January 2011, 11:13 PM
Did you get photo of road and tyre tracks etc? these should help. Still do that sketch mate. It will seem log nonsense right now, but when the insurance company has to go to court in 18-24 months time(if it comes to that) to get money out of him, they will call on you, and that's the thing you will have that will show wher who was at time of incident.

I had a semi write me off, and my mate who was following me saw it happen. He stepped out all tha brake marks etc, drew a little sketch and held onto for a couple of days. Then presented it to me and Said "take this and go draw it as you rember it using these measurements to scale" "this may come in handy". Well Boral tried to make me pay for damages to their truck, and I said I would see them in court with Legal Rep(didn't have any), witnesses, and full diagrams as proof.

Has never happened but still have those drawings just in case.......

DX grunt
9th January 2011, 11:18 PM
Glad to hear you're both OK. My first 'crash' was a roll over on a gravel road. Still remember it 33 years later.

Take care out there.

Ross
DX grunt

the ferret
9th January 2011, 11:22 PM
Mate, you are sooooo lucky, it could have turned to Sh!t real easy, why do people drive so fast on these narrow camping tracks.
You certainly have to expect the unexpected eh? so glad you are all ok tho, that's the main thing, bit of a cut n pollish and she'll be as good as.!!!

AB
10th January 2011, 09:59 AM
Jeez mate thats unbelievable!!!

Glad you two are ok!

I agree with Timbo, gather as much information, photos and do that sketch whilst it is fresh in your mind as it may be slightly blurred down the track.

Dhuck
10th January 2011, 10:09 AM
Good to hear that you peeps are ok. Shame about the pathy.

Sir Roofy
10th January 2011, 11:26 AM
i agree with AB &TIMBO gather as much evidence as you can measure any skid marks slides and notify dse and parks so they can assertain stateof road
glad your both ok

cheers roofy

Benno7
10th January 2011, 12:13 PM
Ok just been to my Insurance broker he has said they cant do much as I only had 3 party fire and theft but they are willing to help me out to chase down this guy.
He is going to try to put a claim through because it caught on fire (only very minor in the engine bay). Also he told me to get on to DSE and Parks as it is a major track (high usage) and try and get something out of them for the damages. Not sure if ill have any luck with them.

I have plenty of photos of all wheel marks and road width.
Good idea about sketch ill get right on to that.
thanks everyone. will keep you all posted

Sir Roofy
10th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Good luck with it all

Timbo
10th January 2011, 03:56 PM
Well I know what the roll over part is like, though admittedly I didn't roll several times. I feel for ya mate.

Bit of a strange circumstance yours it though, being ran off the road and all. I would have definitely tried to gather as much evidence as possible.

Woof
10th January 2011, 05:26 PM
So glad that you both got out of that relativity unscathed, vehicles can be replaced.

wildgu6
10th January 2011, 06:06 PM
Hey buddy, looks nasty, glad your OK though.
Put $$$ on it they were young fellas in the on coming ???
If your ins' co can help you track them down they should be able to claim off their ins'
Good luck buddy and again glad your both OK, as for the path' ooops.

Cheers Pete

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2011, 06:10 PM
Ok just been to my Insurance broker he has said they cant do much as I only had 3 party fire and theft but they are willing to help me out to chase down this guy.
He is going to try to put a claim through because it caught on fire (only very minor in the engine bay). Also he told me to get on to DSE and Parks as it is a major track (high usage) and try and get something out of them for the damages. Not sure if ill have any luck with them.

I have plenty of photos of all wheel marks and road width.
Good idea about sketch ill get right on to that.
thanks everyone. will keep you all posted

Another point not mentioned with insurance, even thought i would assume that yours would be a right off. When i put mine on its side, the insurance company decided 2 repair than right it off. The second day off having it back after the repairs, i reversed into work only 2 hear the power steering squealing, popped the bonnet 2 find no power steering fluid where it should be. Rang my insurance company, asking if the motor and all fluids had been checked obviously because it was involved in a roll over......They said "No" it doesn't get checked unless requested 2!!!! WTF where is common sense. So be very careful of they want 2 repair, wake sure all fluids and motor gets inspected.

wildgu6
10th January 2011, 06:28 PM
Another point not mentioned with insurance, even thought i would assume that yours would be a right off. When i put mine on its side, the insurance company decided 2 repair than right it off. The second day off having it back after the repairs, i reversed into work only 2 hear the power steering squealing, popped the bonnet 2 find no power steering fluid where it should be. Rang my insurance company, asking if the motor and all fluids had been checked obviously because it was involved in a roll over......They said "No" it doesn't get checked unless requested 2!!!! WTF where is common sense. So be very careful of they want 2 repair, wake sure all fluids and motor gets inspected.

Common sense does not even come into it when it comes to insurance Todd, Most insurances would not even consider checking the fluid levels as most insurances dont cover mechanical. I know it sucks but they will screw you if they can.
Did my motor 2 years ago, dropped an oil line and clunk clunk. Ins wouldnt cover it, but as it happened on the beach they said if i left the vehicle there and i copped water damage they would of replaced the motor, Go figure.

Cheers Pete

NissanGQ4.2
10th January 2011, 06:44 PM
Common sense does not even come into it when it comes to insurance Todd, Most insurances would not even consider checking the fluid levels as most insurances dont cover mechanical. I know it sucks but they will screw you if they can.
Did my motor 2 years ago, dropped an oil line and clunk clunk. Ins wouldnt cover it, but as it happened on the beach they said if i left the vehicle there and i copped water damage they would of replaced the motor, Go figure.

Cheers Pete

so lesson learnt, next time do the illegal thing and drive it into the surf *LMAO* , yeh i know, no common sense Pete, hence why i cancelled my insurance with them, i'm sure in the insurance policy it didn't state that they wouldn't check things that should be checked *L* Yes next time i get full comp on my patrol, i will go through every scenario i can think off and see what they will cover, then decide if they have my business or not

whitestickle
10th January 2011, 06:57 PM
very lucky mate glad everyone is ok