PDA

View Full Version : Late Model 3.0 CRD

Buzzman
1st September 2013, 12:36 PM
I am thinking about buying a late model 3.0 CRdiesel and was wondering what they are like compared to the early 2000 3.0 litres? Reliability, blow ups, maintenance, any major issues etc that one should consider.

threedogs
1st September 2013, 12:43 PM
You'll be fine with the CR 3ltr diesel, if $$$$ stretch try looking for a 2006 TD 4.2 they are like rocking horse apples
but well worth it,

Buzzman
1st September 2013, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the tip

Squalo
1st September 2013, 04:45 PM
CRDs aren't blowing up like the 2000-2003 DI motors sometimes do. That said, they have their issues like any other modern engine, these are some of the known problems they might experience:

- Oil weep on block
- Warped exhaust manifold
- Cracks in intercooler
- Serpentine belt tensioner can fail - either spring tensioner seizes or the pulley bearings fail - common to DI 3.0 motor as well
- Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on accelerator pedal assembly can be troublesome

All relatively easy to diagnose and fix, and obviously far less serious than the holed pistons or blown turbos that the earlier models can experience.

The ZD30 whether CRD or DI doesn't like to be overheated, even one time - it can very easily crack the head, and that in turn can lead to more serious problems. So always ensure that the cooling system is in tip top condition.

I'd happily buy a 2004-2006 DI, they are largely free of the earlier issues which mostly relate to boost control by the ECU. I'd even buy a 2000-2003 if it was cheap. Either way I'd fit EGT and boost guages plus the other NADS stuff, but the gauges are the key to keeping it alive.

The 2007+ CRD is a no-brainer - it's a fantastic motor, especially if you unlock it with a full turbo-back exhaust with high-flow cat, and a chip.

Buzzman
1st September 2013, 10:38 PM
thank you for the information