PDA

View Full Version : $5k worth of ARB gear - how to spend it right?

Money-fishing
31st August 2013, 12:52 PM
With the help of many a forum member, I have won ARB's win $5k for your 4x4 competition.

As I mentioned, if i was to win, all proceeds were going to be pumped in to my new 2008 DX patrol.

Open to suggestions on where the money is best spent in order to get the best value for money.

Ill post progress shots as everything starts to come together!

lhurley
31st August 2013, 12:53 PM
Bar
Winch
Lift
Wheels
Fridge
Roof rack
Air locker

All of which is available from arb

Winnie
31st August 2013, 12:54 PM
Bull bar, winch, front locker. That's what I'd do mate but there are so many ARB products you will not find it very hard to spend 5k!

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2013, 01:24 PM
I'd chase a bar second and cause the ARB bars will cost you a packet. Same goes for the winch, a Warn winch brand new is Silly money!

From ARB in my order.

Old man Emu 2" lift.
Front air locker paired with their double pumper hi output compressor.
45lt Fridge and slide
Full recovery kit (snatch strap, extension strap, tree truck protector, bag , etc)
Dual Battery system
Front deluxe winch bar
Brush bars and side steps

Balance $0

Nice car.

Money-fishing
31st August 2013, 01:37 PM
Front locker or lift, what do you guys think is more important?

Winnie
31st August 2013, 01:43 PM
Lift for sure, no doubt about it. Bt a locker is VERY nice too!

Money-fishing
31st August 2013, 01:49 PM
From ARB in my order:

Balance $0

Nice car.

Thanks MR, did you spend $5k round?

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks MR, did you spend $5k round?

Nah that would be the Order i would buy things mate until i ran out of cash. you would likely get near that full list but i dont think you'd have anything left. But a very good car.

Cant think of anything i would put ahead of anything in that order though??

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2013, 01:52 PM
Are they doing fitting for free? or you have to fit yourself?

Money-fishing
31st August 2013, 01:55 PM
Unsure at this stage re:fittment. Ill be given more info on Monday.
Can fit most things if required.

BiLLz0r
31st August 2013, 02:18 PM
1) Lift for sure at number 1
2) Dual Battery
3) Air lockers (front and rear if $ allow, otherwise just 1 end)
4) Recovery gear set
5) Winch bar with winch if balance allows (or maybe chuck in some $ of your own)

MudRunnerTD
31st August 2013, 02:41 PM
I have a GUIV and the Rear LSD in the GUIV is INSANE!! Soo Good! cant imagine why i would take it out in favour of an Airlocker! I have front and rear lockers in the GQ so get how good they are and will not fit a rear air locker to the GUIV. Front only IMO. ARB want $1800 for an XD9 warn winch and i think they are way over priced.

liftlid
31st August 2013, 02:55 PM
Front locker or lift, what do you guys think is more important?

If your only running 31 inch tyres you don't need a lift, go the locker, 2 inch lifts are cheep, buy the stuff from ARB you like the look of eg bull bar etc.

megatexture
31st August 2013, 04:17 PM
Lift and bull bar and locker and then recovery gear if funds permit .. 5k won't go far at arb lol

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2013, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't waste in on the GU, I would swap the 5g voucher for a GQ :)

megatexture
31st August 2013, 04:22 PM
I like that idea, always wanted a paddock basher!

Avo
31st August 2013, 04:29 PM
well done dude on the win....no matter what you get there will always a couple of more things you'll wish you had got aswell.

Ben-e-boy
31st August 2013, 04:44 PM
how much 4wd driving experience do you have? what gear do you already have.

Money-fishing
31st August 2013, 07:11 PM
G'day Ben, nothing nasty. My hilux surf wasn't capable of anything but the basics.
The majority of my 4x4ing will be done getting from 1 hunting or fishing spot to another - Ill have much more access now that i have a patrol.

I should add that the GU does already have a Redarc isolater and DB system fitted but that all.

Loving the suggestions so far!

#1 on the list is a Bull bar for us.
- I dare say they have saved me quite a few times now. Deer and Kangaroos just seem to pop up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Feelings on the winch seem to be mixed. Anyone care to elaborate?

Ben-e-boy
31st August 2013, 07:53 PM
G'day Ben, nothing nasty. My hilux surf wasn't capable of anything but the basics.
The majority of my 4x4ing will be done getting from 1 hunting or fishing spot to another - Ill have much more access now that i have a patrol.

I should add that the GU does already have a Redarc isolater and DB system fitted but that all.

- I dare say they have saved me quite a few times now. Deer and Kangaroos just seem to pop up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Righto, I would leave the locker for a while, a patrol in stock form will outdo a surf any day of the week, when you get to a point where your skills out do the (stock or close to it) vehicle capability, then its time for a locker. I have seen more than once on this very forum stories of people who aren't as experienced as others ( no implications mate or meaning to be rude) with lifted and locked rigs in situations beyond the capabilities they cant get out of,because they have no recovery gear. The stories hit this forum and people get on their high horse and ride into the sunset about safety and experience or lack there of (again no implications) when for all we know they wanted to know the right way of modifying their rig and were told to lift it and lock it straight away,
IMO
1, recovery gear
2, vehicle protection,
3. Lift, so when you get a bullbar, side rails, other things like draws that you may have or not or can build etc so you can get appropriate spring rates.

As for the winch I would put it higher on the list if you go without other 4wd's. Then you can definatly self recover, if you always go in convoy a snatch strap or tow strap will most likely be used more than the winch.

liftlid
31st August 2013, 08:02 PM

Lockers are expensive items, if you can get free one's and feel you might use them in the future go for it now or you might not get the chance in the future you can always justify a bull bar and winch to the missus as a safety item

MudRunnerTD
1st September 2013, 01:01 PM
Hey Ben I have to agree with Gary on this point. You have made a very valid point though and plenty of folks get complacent because their car is more capable than they are.

Given he is looking for fishing and camping I assume you hit the beach? Front Locker as a Capital Expense would be near the top of my list. Well it was second only to the lift. He has $5k so is already ahead of the game by allot.

The reason I am steering away from spending on a winch is because the market is flooded with good quality winches far far cheaper than a brand new Warn from ARB. Money better spent elsewhere.

I assume you will have some coin of your own for the build and will fit a set of 285/75/16 tyres to it. Those rims you have will be fine.

I'd still be going Lift, Front Locker and big compressor, Bullbar and side rails, fridge and slide. Then you pay for a good set of tyres and source a decent winch somewhere else.

Clunk
1st September 2013, 10:53 PM
I'm not usually one for being a stickler but to quote someone's statement from the previous thread

"As a small incentive, if i win ill give away $200 worth of ARB gear to one lucky voter. Simply post the vote count after you vote for me. If it matches the random number i have written down you win... simple!"

PS congratulations on winning the comp mare, well done

NissanGQ4.2
1st September 2013, 11:00 PM
He mentioned the winner in another thread Clunk

Clunk
1st September 2013, 11:04 PM

Ahhhhhhhh righteo then, my apologies ......
Cheers Todd

liftlid
2nd September 2013, 09:37 AM

I could not find the thread, who won then?

MudRunnerTD
2nd September 2013, 10:06 AM

Ahhhhhhhh righteo then, my apologies ......
Cheers Todd

I could not find the thread, who won then?

Yeah i read that he was going to honour it but was having trouble figuring out who voted when. He said he had chosen a random Number, hopefully under 800 as most here voted in the 500 to 800 category and he was going to make good. Not sure he named a winner though? So good call Clunk.

If you cant find the winning voter Amile then feel free to choose a number between 500 and 800 and look again mate ;)

liftlid
2nd September 2013, 10:18 AM
Yeah i read that he was going to honour it but was having trouble figuring out who voted when. He said he had chosen a random Number, hopefully under 800 as most here voted in the 500 to 800 category and he was going to make good. Not sure he named a winner though? So good call Clunk.

If you cant find the winning voter Amile then feel free to choose a number between 500 and 800 and look again mate ;)

Maybe a new thread could be started and every body who voted can post their number, then the winning vote can be checked on fb

Money-fishing
2nd September 2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Liftlid, I posted it in a thanks thread in general chat. The winning number was 279.
The closest to this number i could find was 280, belonging to a member of this forum actually - Wazza_66.
:)

liftlid
2nd September 2013, 05:56 PM
Hi Liftlid, I posted it in a thanks thread in general chat. The winning number was 279.
The closest to this number i could find was 280, belonging to a member of this forum actually - Wazza_66.
:)

Ok thanks, does this mean you offered the $200 on other Forums as well?

Congratulations to Wazza 66, It would be great to know what are you going to spend your winnings on a ARB?

Money-fishing
4th September 2013, 09:07 PM
G'day guys. Took a good brake from the online world to get some fresh air. The last few weeks have been pretty full on.

I put the ARB order in today.
OME 2" lift (full kit)
Deluxe bullbar
Safari snorkel
Onboard compressor
Pump up hose kit
Warn magnum 10k winch (still undecided on this one)

Now it's just a question of DIY install or fittment in house.

TPC
4th September 2013, 09:09 PM
That is a nice list.

BigRAWesty
4th September 2013, 09:32 PM
Everything there is quite easy to install..

lhurley
4th September 2013, 09:44 PM
Depends whether they want another $5000 check to pay for the install

Money-fishing
4th September 2013, 10:16 PM
Yeah, it ticks a few things off the list.
Re: installation.

Snorkel - I'm not game on drilling holes in panels DIY this I think I'll leave to them.
Lift kit - I wouldn't know where to start.

Bar, winch and on board compressor I could do no probs.
With the bar, is there anything that could trip you up, or is it just remove front bumper and bolt straight on?

Money-fishing
4th September 2013, 10:20 PM
Depends whether they want another $5000 check to pay for the install
All up, fitting for everything came to $1100. All prices and labour charges are exactly as prices in the march 2013 price list.

lhurley
4th September 2013, 10:35 PM
All up, fitting for everything came to $1100. All prices and labour charges are exactly as prices in the march 2013 price list.

That's not half bad for what they are doing. Wouldn't be the end of the world if they did install it, at least you would have something to fall back on if the was any product issues.

Money-fishing
4th September 2013, 11:13 PM
Yeah, that is true mate. My wife is thinking along the same lines. But that just makes me want to get the tools out more!

Shaun 4x4
4th September 2013, 11:40 PM
Not much better then doing it ya self and looking at it when done and going I did good. time for beer ;)

Arb also stock a winch called smitty built, 10000 lbs, waterproof, and has pretty good reviews online. A lot cheer then the warn and lifetime warranty.
It was the one I was gonna get for my last 4wd, but didn't need to in the end as I got smart bought a real 4wd and it already had a winch :)

BiLLz0r
5th September 2013, 04:50 PM
I'd get them to do the snorkel and lift. If you can do the rest, then why not. Get a feeling of accomplishment when you do it yourself.

TPC
5th September 2013, 07:13 PM
I'd get them to do the snorkel and lift. If you can do the rest, then why not. Get a feeling of accomplishment when you do it yourself.
Agree with that, especially the snorkel, would not want to make that hole myself.
The rest should be easy.

Money-fishing
5th September 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys. Any one want to fill me in on what's involved in doing a lift kit DIY lift? Is it worth tackling or just paying the $266 (inc. alignment) for them to do?

Money-fishing
5th September 2013, 09:14 PM
Not much better then doing it ya self and looking at it when done and going I did good. time for beer ;)

Arb also stock a winch called smitty built, 10000 lbs, waterproof, and has pretty good reviews online. A lot cheer then the warn and lifetime warranty.
It was the one I was gonna get for my last 4wd, but didn't need to in the end as I got smart bought a real 4wd and it already had a winch :)

Checked out the smittybilt today. $20 odd cheaper with synthetic cable. Thanks for the heads up!

MEGOMONSTER
5th September 2013, 09:56 PM
Checked out the smittybilt today. $20 odd cheaper with synthetic cable. Thanks for the heads up!

These winches (SMITTYBILT)were in my final two with my decision making on winches but ended up getting the RUNVA EWX12000.

BiLLz0r
6th September 2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks guys. Any one want to fill me in on what's involved in doing a lift kit DIY lift? Is it worth tackling or just paying the $266 (inc. alignment) for them to do?

Ha, for $266 (an alignment costs $50-$60 anyway) I think it's a no brainer. Get them to do it. Last thing you want is it failing when offroad.

Winnie
6th September 2013, 06:58 AM
Hey mate, just curious, were you only allowed to spend the $5k on ARB product or was it allowed to go towards installation as well?

rusty_nail
6th September 2013, 08:00 AM
Hey mate, just curious, were you only allowed to spend the $5k on ARB product or was it allowed to go towards installation as well?

He said a while back that it was 5k for products he just had to front install costs.

Money-fishing
6th September 2013, 02:32 PM

Terms and conditions stated it could go towards catalogue product only. Fitting costs weren't covered.