PDA

View Full Version : O/d button in auto

2TROLLFAM
31st August 2013, 11:02 AM
Rightio - week 2 and I only just found a button on gear stick that turns the O/D on and off .... Now I've been driving around with aparently turned on cuz when you push the button the light on dash says O/D OFF

What/How/When am I suppose to use this button?? (Am used to driving manuals)

oncedisturbed
31st August 2013, 11:03 AM
don't have one on mine, it is mainly for towing / heavy loads / sometimes on hills - basically when ever you need to maintin revs without over switching to another gear

Winnie
31st August 2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah it should allow the car to rev more before it changes gear.

2TROLLFAM
31st August 2013, 11:14 AM
So am I suppose to have it on or off under normal driving on road/round town ??

It's been on the whole time I've had it ??

Winnie
31st August 2013, 11:20 AM
Edit: deleted post because I'm a retard

Winnie
31st August 2013, 11:25 AM
Sorry shaz I gave you the wrong info there. Overdrive is like an extra gear, so when on the freeway your engine would be revving less. Trying getting up to 100km and turning it off, should see your revs jump up. God for towing.

Sir Roofy
31st August 2013, 11:41 AM
Here ya go mate

overdrive switch

on-for normal driving push the overdrive switch on
with seletor in drive,the transmission will go into
overdrive as you increase speed

off--for driving up hill and long slopes and going down steep hills
and for driving around town

its a whole new experiance 4x4ing but quite enjoyable if you have the owners
manual its all on section 4 page 18

Avo
31st August 2013, 11:44 AM
I always take the overdrive off when I am doing under 80km/h I just treat it like 5th gear,when towing my camper trailer I use it once I'm gained enough speed.

2TROLLFAM
31st August 2013, 11:55 AM
Thank Guys - makes more sense now. Thought auto were suppose to be easy!! LOL

threedogs
31st August 2013, 12:03 PM
Some have the overdrive off for around town But I've found it makes the Patrol more flighty.
Difference at 100kph overdrive on 2200rpm,,,, overdrive off 100kph @ 2700rp

2TROLLFAM
31st August 2013, 12:12 PM
Out to Lake Moogerah (near Boonah) watching a friend, Brad & Talia play on the new jetski (our friends) so will experiment with the button on the trip home

threedogs
31st August 2013, 12:24 PM
There is another button near ashtray, this holds the revs longer,
But as you said have a play when its safe to do and press a few buttons

2TROLLFAM
31st August 2013, 12:33 PM
There is another button near ashtray, this holds the revs longer,
But as you said have a play when its safe to do and press a few buttons

Is that the one that says power/hold??

lhurley
31st August 2013, 12:49 PM
Is that the one that says power/hold??

Yea that's it. I have mine in power all the time, it holds the gear for longer and will kick back easier.

O/D switch is for towing and hills. Overdrive shouldn't be used when towing (o/d off). The switch is also good for long hills and over taking, when driving in od the auto can cool down a lot, but with it on and accelerating it can get hot quite quickly. Eg. Driving at 100km/h with it on cruising, call it 5th. Accelerate to go up a hill, drops back 1 gear, call it 4th. Now with od on in 5th the torque converter is locked, not generating much heat. In 4th it's unlocked at that point, which generates a lot of heat. BUT with od off, it locks the torque converter in 4th which now won't create that much heat.

I'm sorry if that doesn't make any sense, I'm not very good with words.

Cheers
Lachlan

Stampy
1st September 2013, 02:16 AM
I find myself Turning Overdrive off whenever overtaking on the highway, especially taking doubles nad triples which are long and take time to get around, gives it a boost right off the bat.
Other than that, my overdrive is always on around town etc.

threedogs
1st September 2013, 03:33 PM
Every now and then I'll press it [OD] just to slow down a tad instead of hitting the brakes.
I've found lately I've been driving it manually as is cogging down for corners, seems my fuel figures have
improved driving like this. But I'll try the power button for a tankfull and see what happens
Towing my Tub trailer I'll tend to take off in the lower gears and press the OD button at 80 plus KPH

2TROLLFAM
1st September 2013, 03:48 PM
Tried it out coming home yesterday & had to run back out to Aratula today and played - makes a huge difference ..

Towed my trailer over to mums & OMG you need to use those buttons to get anywhere - especially when merging onto the highway ...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Wazza_66
2nd September 2013, 12:17 PM
My previous two Patrols were both autos and I rarely turned it off. Made no difference towing or not. Autos are pretty smart and can work out when to up shift or down shift all by themselves. That is why you buy them isn't it?

megatexture
2nd September 2013, 04:02 PM
If you had an auto temp gauge you would see the diffrence it makes