PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure query

outback
30th August 2013, 11:54 PM
Occasionally when I start up the Patrol the oil pressure light stays on after the engine has been running. I normally switch off let it sit for a minute and restart and it all goes normal, oil pressure light goes off.

Today I happened to notice it on while driving. Stopped gave it a minute and restarted. It stayed on. I found a nice side street, sopped, switched off and let loose with a few polite words. Checked the oil level, fine, indicated full. More polite words, got in started and the light went out.

Ok so am I just looking at a stuffed oil pressure sensor or is this the start of something nasty, like stuffed oil pump?

As it only happens on the very odd occasion I am opting for the stuffed pressure sensor.

ZD30 Di, 2005, with blocked ER, Dawes valve, catch can.

threedogs
31st August 2013, 08:01 AM
Hi OB the factory senders are not that good buy an aftermarket one and you should be fine .
Mine does it but has behaved its self for a while now

Rumcajs
31st August 2013, 04:12 PM
This is common problem. There are 2 senders on yours, one under turbo charger next to oil filter and one above/next to starter motor. They're easy to trouble shoot as they break contact to ground once the oil pressure is up.
There is also a resistor fitted to take care of the sensors wearing out the contacts but it i also had an issue.
There is a Nissan bulletin out about this and apparently both sensors and the resistor need/s to be changed if your Patrol falls under the certain VIN number range.
Each sensor is around $35 and resistor about $135. After market one (sensor with Nissan plug/socket) from Supercheap is about $15, the issue here is those sensors apparently are not identical so knowing which aftermarket unit you are getting is a lottery. Is it high pressure (RHS) or low pressure (LHS)sensor?....I suspect it is low pressure one for earlier models (GU1,2,3).

Cheers

outback
31st August 2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks Rumcajs, you have just added confusion to this.

I have a GU IV so not sure how/what/how the 1-3 issue fits in.

What ever sounds like a messy Nissan issue AGAIN.

I am beginning to wonder/wonder to rude words like Toyota

Rumcajs
2nd September 2013, 06:26 PM
Its simple, GU IVs 04,05 and some 06 units have this issue with oil pressure senders. So yours has it too if it hasn't been corrected yet. See Nissan $tealers and let us know. Or get a Toyo and its $tealers they're even worse.
I have fixed mine in easy hour (I'm lying: it was a pig of a job, really poor access to especially RHS sender which was actually faulty), identified the sender playing up, obtained the sender, fitted it and have no problems since. Bugger me if I was paying the incompetent Nissan $tealer grease fitters the full price for replacement of both sensors and resistor box. A few people I heard had it done for a wonderfully fair fee of $400 by their local friendly Nissan $tealership expert a**holes.(they specialize in removing hard earned cash from unsuspecting customers)
See how to choose/which spanner/socket for the oil sender --> ZD30 oil sender socket size (http://www.mypatrol4x4.com/topic/642-zd30-oil-sender-socket-size/)

Cheers

outback
3rd September 2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks. The socket size helpes. Not too keen in using the local $tealer to do this.