PDA

View Full Version : Patrol (exhaust) leaving crap behind at start-up

Hodge
30th August 2013, 09:18 PM
Noticed dark patches of... crap on driveway as of late. Just realized today, it's in fact coming out of the exhaust at start-up. Dark matter of something, it's not oily or wet, it's just kind of powdery from what I can tell.
Bad photos, but you get the idea of what I mean. Why is this?

Edit: My mate reckons it's normal, and it's the very reason some shops do not allow reverse-parking close to the shop due to diesels spraying crap like this everywhere. I've personally never seen it before, or knew about it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img405/4370/pwxa.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img138/8271/5tbq.jpg

happygu
30th August 2013, 09:21 PM
Hodge,

I have noticed mine has done the same lately.

Mic

boots
30th August 2013, 09:31 PM
I agree with your mate Hodge . Thats what diesels / (oil burners do) . Mine does the same at start up , I just pressure wash the driveway every few months to combat the situation.

Hodge
30th August 2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was aware diesels leave gunk behind, I've noticed after a while, the back of the car, especially being white, is just putrid from it. But, i'm just curious about the fact, that am I only noticing the crap on the floor lately and not prior. Weird.

boots
30th August 2013, 10:08 PM
Probably the new cat in the 2.75 " zorst is less restrictive than OE .

taslucas
30th August 2013, 10:10 PM
I agree with your mate Hodge . Thats what diesels / (oil burners do) . Mine does the same at start up , I just pressure wash the driveway every few months to combat the situation.

x2 with this. I think its fairly normal

nissannewby
31st August 2013, 05:29 PM
Just a bit of carbon and unburnt fuel. Nothing to be worried about.

NP99
31st August 2013, 09:25 PM
Adding to our global warming scam.....
:)

happygu
31st August 2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the comments. I was aware diesels leave gunk behind, I've noticed after a while, the back of the car, especially being white, is just putrid from it. But, i'm just curious about the fact, that am I only noticing the crap on the floor lately and not prior. Weird.

I have only noticed it after the new exhaust, so I have put it down to the free-flowing cat....

Mic

threedogs
1st September 2013, 08:58 AM
That's why we have a "carbon tax" lol
just doing you're bit

MEGOMONSTER
1st September 2013, 06:20 PM
Noticed dark patches of... crap on driveway as of late. Just realized today, it's in fact coming out of the exhaust at start-up. Dark matter of something, it's not oily or wet, it's just kind of powdery from what I can tell.
Bad photos, but you get the idea of what I mean. Why is this?

Edit: My mate reckons it's normal, and it's the very reason some shops do not allow reverse-parking close to the shop due to diesels spraying crap like this everywhere. I've personally never seen it before, or knew about it.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/

I have a 2011 and I also asked the same question. I have a 3" Taipan exhaust so she splatters out quite a lot.
I was told is normal for diesels and is just condensation built up in the exhaust being expelled with carbon. And should be nothing to worry about.

menis
1st September 2013, 06:55 PM
yeah mine does it a fair bit, 3" straight through exhaust 4.2!

Hodge
8th September 2013, 02:11 PM

Holy crap and here I'm thinking mine is bad. LOL

Just turned the car on before and gave it a few revs after start up, walked around to open the rear door and nearly went ass over head by slipping on the crap.
Today there was a crapload of it, it was actually flowing down my driveway. Maybe cause I revved it a tad after star-up and mixed with condensation. Who knows.

threedogs
8th September 2013, 02:29 PM
@ Hodge yours is fine HEY,
That's why you cant reverse in at Motels as well

happygu
8th September 2013, 02:43 PM

Just turned the car on before and gave it a few revs after start up, walked around to open the rear door and nearly went ass over head by slipping on the crap.
Today there was a crapload of it, it was actually flowing down my driveway. Maybe cause I revved it a tad after star-up and mixed with condensation. Who knows.

I don't have that much ....:bowdown:

menis
8th September 2013, 10:15 PM

haha, i dont rev it when i start it tho! thats just from ideling!
the dark patch has got worse over time obvisouly, i just cant be bothered cleanin it off as i live in a rental lol

Bluecrab
8th September 2013, 10:31 PM
Gday, safety 1st, bit of carpet so somebody does slip AOT.
Mght also save the landlord taking your bond.
Daz

Rustyboner81
8th September 2013, 10:48 PM
Normal.......
Should change this to a show us your car fart thread. I got a good one too

Rustyboner81
8th September 2013, 10:49 PM

Is that a standard plug socket :what:

paulvdw
8th September 2013, 10:57 PM
Mine does the same. Seemed to be more noticeable after I had a chip and exhaust kit fitted though ?

june
9th September 2013, 08:12 AM
our work trucks do the same. the exhaust run vertical and if it has been raining you should see the mess it leaves. I would say the condensation over night would be causing this on your troll.

Hodge
9th September 2013, 08:26 AM
Mine does the same. Seemed to be more noticeable after I had a chip and exhaust kit fitted though ?
Well mine started doing it exactly after a new exhaust was fiited. I noticed nothing with a standard exhaust.

Gday, safety 1st, bit of carpet so somebody does slip AOT.
Mght also save the landlord taking your bond.
Daz
I clean it up straight away, but of degreaser and it's gone in minutes. Sometimes it's just dry particles, other times, it's wet.

menis
9th September 2013, 10:43 AM
Is that a standard plug socket :what:

if your talkin bout the power point, it used to be normal untill i backed into it n pushed it through the plaster, now its a recessed point...

Rustyboner81
15th September 2013, 06:52 AM
if your talkin bout the power point, it used to be normal untill i backed into it n pushed it through the plaster, now its a recessed point...

Hahahahaha that'll teach it..

Mine does this if i park too close

Hodge
15th September 2013, 09:22 AM
I forgot to reply back here, I'm not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I use the flashlube stuff every second tank. And since filling up last time, it doesn't leave that crap as much any more. Also, it may be just me over-thinking it, but I "think" it does it more when it's sucking from the bottom of the tank, so when it's real low. Will test this theory out as time goes on.
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/87.jpg

mudski
15th September 2013, 09:40 AM
The mornings are starting to get warmer now so you won't see it as much. Cold air with a warming up exhaust with give condensation....Have a look at cars in the morning at peak hour. Most will drop a bit of water when they take off.

menis
23rd October 2013, 07:08 PM
bit of an update fellas, if you see black shiiit on the wall from the exhaust, clean it off asap!!!

im movin out of the rental into my house im building, and trying to get rid of it is fuucckin terrible!

might have to paint the wall i think

:banghead:

megatexture
23rd October 2013, 07:57 PM
There's your mistake your trying to clean it off with sump oil!:icon_bonk:lol