PDA

View Full Version : Turning bull bar black

RCKIWI
30th August 2013, 04:55 PM
Hello all,

This forum is brilliant by the way!

I want to turn my stock alloy bull bar into a black alloy bull bar (preferably through painting or powder coating)

Best way to achieve this would be?

Or is it better just to buy an aftermarket one with winch capabilities for when that part arrives in the not to distant future?

If so, which aftermarket bars are the best value for $$?

healy
30th August 2013, 05:03 PM
If you paint go with 2pac easier to touch up etc imo just buy a winch bar

MudRunnerTD
30th August 2013, 05:42 PM
Yep a couple of rattle cans of Black Paint will be fine mate. Satin Black is the go. Easy to touch p rattle paint too.

Buy a steel winch bar when you find one on eBay.

Not worth spending any money on your alloy bar. Junk it when you find a replacement.

threedogs
30th August 2013, 05:45 PM
You're up for animal strikes more often than most , IMO I'd be sourcing a steel bulbar.
I've seen first hand what a buffalo will do to an alloy bar, and 4x4 for that matter.
Steel for me

Ian2011
30th August 2013, 05:47 PM
I would probably put a suitable metal surface primer on first and then spray with a gloss two pac, if you just spray the paint on you will run the risk of paint peel, might also want to rub the bar down with something that would remove any oil residue that if there will also cause the paint to peel. Most of these types of products would be available from that big green hardware shop

RCKIWI
30th August 2013, 08:33 PM
I've seen a few animal strikes in my time up here, and even hit a couple of wallabies in my tour truck back in the day and they do enough damage let alone a buffalo. Fair point about the steel bar, looks like I'll just wait to upgrade to a winch capable steelie then. Any recommendations on quality, strong brands?

threedogs
31st August 2013, 08:07 AM
Which ever one you look at go the 4mm ones,
you'll find commercial grade bull bars are 3mm,
Ironman do winch/bar combo's
TJM/ARB are quality built units

Hodge
31st August 2013, 08:25 AM
You're up for animal strikes more often than most , IMO I'd be sourcing a steel bulbar.
I've seen first hand what a buffalo will do to an alloy bar, and 4x4 for that matter.
Steel for me

Completely back TD on this one. Few years ago when I was looking for a bar for my navara I was almost going to go for the stock nissan alloy due to weight and price. I visited several 4x4 wreckers, and that's where my mind was made up. I've seen cars with alloy and steel bars, with front impacts side by side and nothing more was to be said. Steel bar for me...

Anyways, back to topic. We done my mates old hilux alloy bar in black. He lightly sanded it to make everything even. First coat of some sort of primer, and then 2 coats of black. As far as I know, it's still going good today apart from some scratches, and it's been about 2 years now.

macca
31st August 2013, 06:44 PM
Do you use a Hilift jack?

If you do....

You have a choice, have a look at the TJM bar.

It has "T" cut-outs for a Hilift jack and I think they are wide apart so when you jack up one side to change a tyre the other doesn't raise off the ground as well.

Mine is a stock OEM steel bar and the lifting points for the Hilift are inside the "uprights" and the whole front lifts which is a real PITA. Plus there is nothing to stop the jack slipping.

You can guess I would go with steel... LOL

Limmy
1st September 2013, 12:55 PM
If you want to do painting yourself . You can achieve this with couple of spray cans. shouldn't cost more than $50.

Things needed : Sandpaper ( mainly used 800git) , Wax and grease remover (prepsol ) , metal primer spray can x 2 ( check for suitable primer for alloy. You will need enough to do 2 coats ) , black epoxy enamel spray can x 2+ ( I used SATIN BLACK , easier to paint on with no gloss marks ), OPTIONAL : rope to hang bullbar up somewhere
This is the paint I used
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/2013-09-0111_51_59-20130901_114233-WindowsPhotoViewer.jpg

This is a STEEL bullbar. But concept should be the same for alloy ( make sure primer is ok for alloy ). MAKE SURE NOT TO RUSH !!

1. Preparation is the most important . Sand using higher grit sandpaper to make it smooth as possible , Use wax and grease remover to clean the bar as thorough as possible.
I sanded mine back to bare metal.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/2013-09-0111_50_47-20130115_173414-WindowsPhotoViewer.jpg

2. If you can hang the bulbar up with some rope would be good. Makes painting and drying easier.
Paint on the spray can primer . Once covered let it dry for recommended time . Then use a new can to do a second coat . then let it dry fully . You can rub back the primer lightly if you wish to smooth out.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/2013-09-0111_51_08-20130115_181028-WindowsPhotoViewer.jpg

3. The primer has dried for a few days ready to paint. make sure its clean and dust free surface on the bulbar . You can now paint on the SATIN black . Make sure you use even strokes, don't worry if its not perfect for first coat .
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/2013-09-0111_51_35-20130116_160914-WindowsPhotoViewer.jpg

4. After you first coat , you can do your second coat as final . up to you how many coats. but make sure it dries for a few days before putting on another full coat. After final coat has been applied. I let it dry for about a week before putting it back on.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/2013-09-0111_51_20-20130116_155709-WindowsPhotoViewer.jpg

5. This is how it looks 2 years later . No chips or marks . Bit dirty though
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/2013-09-0112_16_55-20130901_121318-WindowsPhotoViewer.jpg

RCKIWI
10th September 2013, 03:09 PM
Etch primer purchased, Satin Black paint purchased, now just to make the time I need to hit this project head on!

I reckon the bull bar has never been removed before, the bolts are frickin impossible to remove!! Any tips on the best spray on lubricant to get these mothers off??!!!

lhurley
10th September 2013, 03:43 PM
Etch primer purchased, Satin Black paint purchased, now just to make the time I need to hit this project head on!

I reckon the bull bar has never been removed before, the bolts are frickin impossible to remove!! Any tips on the best spray on lubricant to get these mothers off??!!!

WD40 works well. And a long breaker bar.

threedogs
10th September 2013, 03:46 PM
Smack them with a hammer to break their grip, it shocks them ,,squirt with Inox,WD40 and wait.
Replace with zinc plated graded bolts only, flat washers and either Nyloc nuts
or Zinc nuts and spring washers