PDA

View Full Version : Drive train noise.

mudnut
30th August 2013, 12:07 AM
G,day all, I have had a second hand gear box put in the Old Trol, and it still makes a clanging noise while rolling in the lower gears. The noise is not as bad, and the mech reckons the tail shaft and unis are ok. I was wondering if the old transfer case could damaged the diff, because of the excessive back lash, at all, because I put a GU diff in it last year.

Clunk
30th August 2013, 12:30 AM
Below was Alitis007s reply in the Angry thread...... Thought it best go in here Mudnut, hope you don't mind.

"There is no way that i am aware of that a transfer case can wreck a diff, happy to be proven wrong but i doubt it. What are the unis like in the tailshaft??"

mudnut
30th August 2013, 12:36 AM
I am not being too picky, am I. The noise gets worse when in low range, as the drive train smacks back and forth. Does any one else's Patrol make that type of noise? I' m gunna go to bed as the whole situation is doing my head in....

93patrol
30th August 2013, 12:38 AM
would it be an engine mount broken????

Clunk
30th August 2013, 12:47 AM
Mine doesn't make a noise but over the last week of so there's been this rumble feeling that's been getting worse and can only feel it at really low speeds and it feels like it's coming from the middle of the car so I suspect transfer or my auto. But I'm gotta get under it on the weekend and give everything a greasing, will check my engine mounts for any play too.

93patrol
30th August 2013, 01:59 AM
hmm could be your driveshaft has dropped a weight or you have a bulge in a tyre

Pezzer
30th August 2013, 09:16 AM
We had a noise coming from the centre of the Maverick that got quite bad thought it was a handbrake issue, but was found to be a seized Uni joint on the tail shaft. Convinced it was the brake, the way we checked was to remove the tail shaft select 4H and drive a short distance, noise gone so it only left the tail shaft. we replaced both uni joints.

threedogs
30th August 2013, 09:41 AM
cant see how a transfer case can stuff a diff,
4x4 do have a lot of slop in the drivetrain,
Have you chipped a tooth on the diff maybe

Parksy
30th August 2013, 09:57 AM
If be checking the backlash in the rear diff. Park it on a level surface with the handbrake off and turn the rear tail shaft back and forwards. It does help to have an idea on what's acceptable or not.

mudnut
30th August 2013, 12:49 PM
This morning, it crunched and ground badly into second gear. It did it two more times, until the oil warmed up. I took the Old Trol to another mech, who put it on the hoist. He tried the tail shaft and said the backlash wasn't too bad. I then drove to ..... and let the sales bloke that I was a LITTLE PUT OUT, and got him to agree, that the old gear box is mine (a minor victory). He is going to come out to my place tomorrow, to listen to the crunchy box, and then check with the mech, what oil was used. I'm hooking up the trailer and picking up the old box, before I pay what is owed on the box.

nissannewby
30th August 2013, 01:58 PM
Did you use the same clutch with both boxes? How old is the clutch?

Can you hold out until October? Also I know another question, can you get someone to go for a drive with you to help with the diagnosis?

mudnut
30th August 2013, 02:06 PM
Well, I paid for a new, heavy duty clutch, so that shouldn't be the problem. I took the other mechanic for a short drive this morning and lo, and behold, the noise was almost inaudible. Thanks for the offer, Matt, but as for October, I didn't think my stock Trol would handle the trip planned. And I've just blown the budget anyways.

nissannewby
30th August 2013, 02:37 PM
I meant more so coming and having a look for you while I'm down that way. Did they machine the flywheel at the same time? Is there much play in the slip joint in the tail shaft? Sorry about all the questions mate.

mudnut
30th August 2013, 03:27 PM
No worries about the questions, mate, you are trying to help me. I paid to have the flywheel machined, rear engine seal and gearbox spigot replaced. The second mech said the back lash was okay, and I couldn't feel any play in the tail shaft either. I think it is just age and wear. The crunch in second gear while it is cold, is now my main priority.

mudnut
30th August 2013, 06:07 PM
Ok, folks, this is where I'm at: I have my old unit in the shed. I spoke to the mech, who did the change out, and he said to try some gearbox treatment. I also had a look at the old clutch which was still serviceable, but had only about a third of its plate to go. I went to the salesman at ..... and he said before I even spoke, that he is going to refund me some cash, and I told him what the mech said. Then he gave me some Nulon gearbox treatment. I will have it put in tomorrow morning. If it doesn't work, then I will have to chase up another box.

happygu
30th August 2013, 08:12 PM
Mudnut,

Patrol boxes can get a little hard to get into gear between 1st and 2nd - I had that on my pristine GQ that was babied along, but it never crunched.

I think that the gearbox treatment will be helpful for you, but is only masking the problem. The only other thing may be that you have the wrong weight oil, as it is cold at the moment and your oil will be thicker than in summer.

Mic

mudnut
31st August 2013, 04:01 PM
Thanks Mic, with the Nulon additive in the with the oil warm, it certainly slides into second, slightly easier, but tomorrow morning when I do the first couple of shifts into second will show if the Nulon has worked or not. Another suggestion was to run a mixture of ATF in different ratios until the crunch disappears.