PDA

View Full Version : Bob new member

BOB LEAR
29th August 2013, 10:43 PM
Howdy my name is Bob [ not a common name ] I have a 2001 patrol wagon 3ltr turbo ,have owned this rig for 5 years and love it . people keep telling me that it is going to destroy itself at some stage so thought its time to get some input as to how to prevent this . Sorry for asking the same old question but have heard a sensor kit solves it and also a oil sump kit is the go. Wife has agreed to do the Gibb river road next year so best get it right cheers Bob

Bob
29th August 2013, 11:05 PM
Welcome bob

happygu
29th August 2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum, and although I hope that your Patrol is one of the good ones, the 2000 to 2003 are the model 3 Litre diesels are the most likely to give trouble.

Having said that, I haven't personally experienced any issues - this is my experience....

I had a 2001 model for two years, and ended up trading it in on a new one, as I couldn't be sure that it was going to be OK, and I couldn't take the chance of it stopping as I was using it every day in a sales role...... I never had any issues with mine, and ended up trading it in at 76,000 Klms for not much less than I paid for it new...... seen it driving around once, and tried to catch the owner to see how it was going, raced after it but couldn't catch it and got stuck at the lights - so it seemed to be going OK.

I then owned a 2003 Model, which was a real rocket, and is still in the hands of its second owner and has clocked over 270,000 Klms now, with only the clutch being replaced.

I know someone who owns a 2001 model, and is totally head in the sand about any possible issues even though I have told them it is a possibility, and is now up to 320,000 Klms, and still going well. Not sure if not knowing or recognizing the potential for issues is a good thing or not.

The other 4 people that I know with these, have never had any issues either.

I never hesitated to go anywhere I wanted to go, and never fixated that mine may give me trouble, but have heard numerous third hand stories of total failure, especially in the earlier models.

The main consensus, is that you need to add a Exhaust Temperature Gauge, a Catch can, block the EGR, and take manual control of the boost, by adding a Dawes Valve and Boost Controller, to help look after the engine, and this gives you the ability to check and monitor the engine before anything bad happens.

The other things to consider are, one making sure that the MAF Sensor is replaced before your big trip, as some of the early MAF's failed and caused overboosting and keep the old one as a spare part. You can test the voltage outputs from the MAF to ensure it is operating within specs and it is giving the right signals.
The second thing is to replace the glow plugs at around 150,000 Klms, as the tips break off on the old units, and then the hot end bounces around the top of the piston and chamber, which doesn't help for good engine life.

There was a 'fix' to add more oil to the early ones by shortening the dipstick and adding a little extra oil and Yours would have had this 'fix' before you bought it........

Mic

mudski
29th August 2013, 11:18 PM
Welcome Bob. Plenty of great info here and people too. What you need to do to your truck has a nick name called NADs.
Nissan Anti Detonation system. Which consist's of :

Dawes valve -Allows the user to control the amount of boost pressure, rather than the ECU determining how much boost your engine gets.
Needle Valve - Allows the user to control the spool up rate of the turbo
Boost and EGT gauges - Boost gauge is needed to measure boost pressure when installing the Dawes - EGT is to measure exhaust temps
EGR Blanking plate - Blocks off the EGR valve allowing only clean air into the air intake, not dirty used exhaust gas
Oil Catch Can - Mounts inline between the pipe that goes from the top of the engine to the air intake hose just before the turbo. The catch can filters the recirculated crank case vapours before they head into the air intake.

Anything else I have missed guys?

Rustyboner81
29th August 2013, 11:19 PM
Gday bob welcome aboard

trekster
29th August 2013, 11:37 PM
G'day and welcome to the best patrol forum around! Make sure to post up some pics of your beast in the members ride section ;)

Members Rides (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/forumdisplay.php?43-Members-Rides)

This thread has alot of useful threads linked
(http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?16195-GC-Index-to-useful-threads)

Some mechanical threads that may be of interest:

Why Diesels Smoke (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12450-Why-Diesels-Smoke)

Checking and cleaning MAF sensors (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?597-Checking-and-cleaning-MAF-sensors)

NADS discussion (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5526-Snicko-doing-the-NADS)

Recovery and safety!

Recovery Bible (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13556-Recovery-Bible)

Towballs are not recovery points (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?5725-Tow-balls-are-not-to-be-used-as-recovery-points)

Recovery: The Fundamentals (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1984-Recovery-The-Fundamentals)

and lastly this should be read and passed on to anyone that is not aware of the fact

Deaths from towballs (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?11239-Deaths-from-towballs)

Last but not least enjoy the forum and everything it has to offer, Don't be afraid to ask questions as we are all here to help each other out!

Cheers,
Eric.

TPC
30th August 2013, 12:16 AM
G'day Bob and welcome to the forum.
Looks like good advise has been offered above.
I will be doing the Gibb River Road next year too, when are you planning it?

PS. We already have a Bob who is a regular poster on here so a second Bob will cause confusion, do you mind if we call you Bruce instead? We don't have a Bruce yet.

Clunk
30th August 2013, 12:38 AM
G'day Bob and welcome aboard mate

MEGOMONSTER
30th August 2013, 05:56 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

growler2058
30th August 2013, 06:12 AM
G'day Bob welcome aboard mate

AB
30th August 2013, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions and join in the conversations.

Dhuck
30th August 2013, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

threedogs
30th August 2013, 08:27 AM
Hello and welcome Bob, same as most here fitting NADS is great peace of mind, have a search for articles by Chaz Yellowfoot [guru]
on the ZD30 motor,
Makes for very interesting reading

Bloodyaussie
30th August 2013, 08:29 AM
Welcome aboard mate.................

Gecko17
30th August 2013, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the forum Bob. As you can see by the responses, there's a wealth of knowledge here on all things Patrol. Enjoy.

healy
30th August 2013, 04:23 PM
Welcome to the forum

DX grunt
30th August 2013, 07:11 PM
G'day Bob

Welcome to the forum and great to see another Sandgroper onboard.

Take care up there.

Rossco

Woodsta1704
30th August 2013, 07:53 PM
Welcome aboard mate!! Heaps of info on here. Enjoy!!!
Cheers Woody

Avo
30th August 2013, 07:57 PM
welcome Bob,

AB
30th August 2013, 08:02 PM
Welcome bob

You must be proud to snap that name up so earlier on bob...lol

BOB LEAR
30th August 2013, 10:42 PM
Mate you just broke me up big time because Bruce is my middle name

BOB LEAR
30th August 2013, 10:45 PM
thanks every one think I am going to enjoy this sight

BOB LEAR
30th August 2013, 10:49 PM
TPC looking at doing trip next August /September PS. my home town is Aldinga beach SA.

DX grunt
30th August 2013, 10:53 PM
PS. my home town is Aldinga beach SA.

We won't hold that against you. lol

TPC
30th August 2013, 11:22 PM
TPC looking at doing trip next August /September PS. my home town is Aldinga beach SA.

I will be doing it in June/July and coming back start of August.
Have spent plenty of time at Aldinga, eating fish & chips on the beach on a hot evening.

NissanGQ4.2
31st August 2013, 09:06 AM
Welcome 2 the forum Bob

Great bunch of members on here always willing 2 help out when they can

Enjoy the forum and what it has 2 offer

Cheers

Toddie

Bob
31st August 2013, 09:34 AM
Here I was thinking that by spelling my name backwards I would have a unique name but it has now become common. LOL

All Jokes aside Bob welcome to the Forum. Join in the conversations and enjoy the ride

threedogs
31st August 2013, 12:17 PM
Well that's my two bobs worth LOL
How do I come up with them lol

Gecko17
31st August 2013, 07:06 PM
Here I was thinking that by spelling my name backwards I would have a unique name but it has now become common. LOL

All Jokes aside Bob welcome to the Forum. Join in the conversations and enjoy the ride

We'll just have to call you two B1 and B2.... :D

2TROLLFAM
31st August 2013, 07:43 PM
We'll just have to call you two B1 and B2.... :D

LOL. Now there's a thought !!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app