PDA

View Full Version : Accesories Plug

Neil the Nissan
28th August 2013, 10:45 AM
Hi Guys,
New here and will have plenty of questions for you but the first one is:
I was reading through the manual after i bought a 2011 GU 3ltr auto wagon 3 weeks ago and i read that the rear accesories plug should NOT be used when the air con is on,now considering alot of people tour around this great country of ours,i was wondering if you guys are ignoring this and runnnig fridges and the like on long trips as i am planning to do when i do a Cape trip in a few yrs time...........any advice?????????
NTN

choochie
28th August 2013, 11:39 AM
My advice is to install a new dedicated power cable from the battery to the rear of the Patrol for the fridge.
Yesterday I bought some 12A cable plus small Anderson style plugs yesterday and will wire up the same thing, as I don't trust the cig lighter plug to stay in when offroad or on corrugations.

oncedisturbed
28th August 2013, 11:41 AM
Same as Choochie, install a dedicated socket and all should be sweet

Never underestimate the power of the darkside, let the tap flow through you.

liftlid
28th August 2013, 12:09 PM
I used the lead engle sell. Comes with a screw in socket works great and still allows the fridge to be used in other cars, don't know what weaco do though

Neil the Nissan
28th August 2013, 02:14 PM
well what is the 12 volt plug good for?......can i run anything off it?

liftlid
28th August 2013, 02:31 PM

I don't know what it's good for I don't have a gu so can't really tell you, though it sounds like its just there to look good in the new car brochure?

Clunk
28th August 2013, 03:04 PM

It'll probably work fine mate but probably not best to run anything heavy duty off it for too long........ most of us run a second battery, so that we can sap the juice out of that instead of the main cranking battery.

At the end of the day it all depends on what you will be doing with your patrol............. if you're going to be going on long trips and getting a fridge, then having a second battery with some decent wiring and accessory plugs would definitely be the go.

threedogs
28th August 2013, 03:44 PM
What else can I say

Neil the Nissan
29th August 2013, 10:54 AM
thanks guys, will test it out on our first trip down south with a portable dvd player for my son whom has been dubbed "boot boy" as he sits quite happily in the 3rd row of seats and the plug is right beside him.

Neil the Nissan
29th August 2013, 10:55 AM
i will go to dual batteries down the track when i start doing decent trips.

Kennyj1976
26th April 2014, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys looking at the Simmo next month and need to get onto this