PDA

View Full Version : Gear box gu iv auto

liveyk7
24th August 2013, 11:51 PM
Hey guys need some advise yet again. Thisbtime its a bit more serious.
Long story short.. at oil temp light came on on freeway after having done about 80kms from start. No heavy acceleration had kid and preggy wife in the car.

Stopped let it cool down. Then all good. Checked the at fluid stick. . Had almost no oil. Was told to check it while on amd in neutral. Did that. Oil was there but yellowish. Not black not red.
Waa told to go.. then another 10 kms later a slight vibration and then a light humming noise.
Pulled over on freeway. Check at oil stick again. This time a bit of smoke came out of it when pulled out. Oil seems to be there. Bu as its yellowish hard to see.
Vicroads guys came around said servo in 300m. So went over. This time car was not accelerating much or cud be gears not changing
Told to top up at oil. Bought a can of dex 3. Put in abt 500ml spilling another 250ml. Left it for 10 mins. Started. Oil did not change color same yellowish.
Told to drive home (40ish kms more to go)
Tried to pull out from servo. Wont reverse.
Called mate to pickup wifey and kiddo. Another mate came over pushed it out and drove home at about 60ks ph.
No changing over 3rd gear to what I felt.

Still no reverse.

What could be wrong? As you may pickup from this im clueless about engines or anything mechanical.
I have a warranty on it from sentinel. Upto $2000 covered for gearbox.

Any advise appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2013, 12:02 AM
You would be spending more than 2g on the gearbox unfortunately

I would say you're up for a new gearbox or rebuild and torque convertor :(

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 12:06 AM
Ohhhh noooooo...

Even a rebuild and torque converter over 2k??

Clunk
25th August 2013, 12:13 AM
Ohhhh noooooo...

Even a rebuild and torque converter over 2k??

Just a tad over. ;)

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 12:15 AM
Ok here goes the cash I was saving up for exhaust and chip... ; (((((((

happygu
25th August 2013, 12:41 AM
Not sounding good Livey.....

Sounds like a total rebuild coming up.

I guess the first thing is to try checking fluid levels in the morning, to see if you only need to top it up with the correct type of trans fluid.

Mic

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 01:27 AM
My mrs is already going off.."thats it.. sell it she says" ..

Should I just mess the whole engine up and get it under warranty?
Warranty covers upto 15k when you add up all the different bits and pieces for the engine.

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 10:59 AM
Hey mate

Dex 3 is the correct fluid yes? And is the yellowish color normal??

The liquid I was pouring in was red!!

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 11:17 AM
Cold

When started on neutral

If its clear enough any thoughts?
Should I try draining and refilling at fluid?

As I bought it as 152ks.. last few service history's were missing. I did servicing 2wice and never replaced at fluids as mech said it was fine..

lhurley
25th August 2013, 11:58 AM
3 rd and reverse share a common clutch. What has probably happened might be similar to what happened to me. My torque converter bearing collappsed and trashed the tc. All the bits of the tc then blocked up the oil cooler and basically super heated the the rest of the box.

I would have it on a tow truck going to an auto shop if i was you, its not going to be cheap to fix it, and if you leave it to the point where gears get damaged you are in for an even more expensive fix.
Mine went bang on the highway, by the time i could pull over safely i had metal crunching all through the box. I had it fixed and its all good now, but i didnt get much change from $5k.

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 12:21 PM
3 rd and reverse share a common clutch. What has probably happened might be similar to what happened to me. My torque converter bearing collappsed and trashed the tc. All the bits of the tc then blocked up the oil cooler and basically super heated the the rest of the box.

I would have it on a tow truck going to an auto shop if i was you, its not going to be cheap to fix it, and if you leave it to the point where gears get damaged you are in for an even more expensive fix.
Mine went bang on the highway, by the time i could pull over safely i had metal crunching all through the box. I had it fixed and its all good now, but i didnt get much change from $5k.

Oh dear. Guess I will just trash the engine. .

Clunk
25th August 2013, 12:24 PM
When and who did your last service? And did they replace the transmission fluid. Now I could be wrong but I was let to believe the the ATF for Patrols is reddish in colour not yellow. Not sure what ATF should be used in yours but I the GQs it recommended to use the Nissan D-Matic,....... some say to only ever use the Nissan stuff, some have said they've used the Dex3 with no issues.

If your ATF had been changed, maybe who ever did it put in the wrong stuff causing failure.............. maybe

lhurley
25th August 2013, 12:59 PM
When and who did your last service? And did they replace the transmission fluid. Now I could be wrong but I was let to believe the the ATF for Patrols is reddish in colour not yellow. Not sure what ATF should be used in yours but I the GQs it recommended to use the Nissan D-Matic,....... some say to only ever use the Nissan stuff, some have said they've used the Dex3 with no issues.

If your ATF had been changed, maybe who ever did it put in the wrong stuff causing failure.............. maybe

Depends on the oil, normal dex 3 is red, but i have used Castrol Transmax Z and its fine, and its a goldish colour

NissanGQ4.2
25th August 2013, 01:47 PM
Oh dear. Guess I will just trash the engine. .

Wouldn't be saying things like that on a public forum

And if you are only covered for 2g on the gearbox what makes you think destroying the whole motor is going to give you any type of warranty over the 2g on the gearbox???

happygu
25th August 2013, 01:58 PM
There is no point making it worse, as it may then end up costing you more to fix.

You could save some costs by removing and re-installing the box yourself, but I would pay someone to do it, as you need to be fairly well equipped tool wise, as the box is really, really heavy.

Mic

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 07:32 PM
Wouldn't be saying things like that on a public forum

And if you are only covered for 2g on the gearbox what makes you think destroying the whole motor is going to give you any type of warranty over the 2g on the gearbox???

Sorry mate.. your right.. it doesnt make sense.. just frustrating at this time. As I am mechanically incompetent of understanding the issue!
Will call sentinel on tuesday and take it to an authorized repairer to get it checked.

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 07:34 PM
There is no point making it worse, as it may then end up costing you more to fix.

You could save some costs by removing and re-installing the box yourself, but I would pay someone to do it, as you need to be fairly well equipped tool wise, as the box is really, really heavy.

Mic

Makes sense mic.. installing it myself? No chance.. I cant seem to change a flat tyre easily!.
Most prob here goes my xmas grampians trip in the troll and most prob a boring trip in the 2007 suzie vitara. ;(

happygu
25th August 2013, 08:16 PM
Get it checked out first before you get too despondent, as even though it looks unlikely now, it may end up being a minor repair.

Best bet is to find someone reputable who will give you an honest diagnosis, and although I haven't used them, I think Bayswater Automatics would be a good start for you.

There are figures bandied around for auto repairs, from 1K to 5K, depending on the actual problem, but there aren't too many reports of problems to find, so if you get it repaired, it should be good for a long time......

Get the report first, then look for alternatives......your Christmas holiday may still be on......

Mic

liveyk7
25th August 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks mic..
Will see what the sentinel repairers say.. they may try to set it off as a full replacement and over charge just to help eith minimise the warranty claim cost. Based on that ill also get a second report from these guys you mentioned to verify.
Then I guess I can make an informed decision. Will report back on what I get told..
Thanks again to all for the prompt advise..

smicko
26th August 2013, 07:44 PM
Ouch, good luck! And bear in mind that sometimes shit like this just happens. Flogging it off and losing a heap of coin on it and buying something else won't mean the box on that won't go. Spend 2 or 3k on this one and you'll be right.

liveyk7
26th August 2013, 07:48 PM
Goood news guys..
Warranty guys dont have anyone in my area and said to goto someone closeby and get a quote and cause of issue..

Now the hunting starts. .

Does anyone know a good person for this in rowville?

I dont wanna risk more by driving to bayswater if I dont have to

happygu
26th August 2013, 08:11 PM
Good result so far....

Can't recommend anything down your way though....hopefully someone else can

liveyk7
27th August 2013, 11:12 PM
Found knox automatics.. getting the troll towed there tomorrow to avoid further damage.
Said will give me a report immediately for warranty. .

liveyk7
29th August 2013, 12:03 AM
And she was taken away. .

Then to add to the busted gear box, I bust my ankle too.. ohhh what a week...

Now to go checkout what the mechanic has to say in crutches tomorrow! !!

liveyk7
29th August 2013, 05:27 PM
Bump!!

Just spoke to mechanic.. says the whole thing inside is melted? ? Told me to come down to have a look. Says he is trying to find the parts to recondition it.and said its gonna be expensive...
I spoke to niss4x4 and they quoted 990 for a gearbox with about 70k kms on it.. and 3 month warranty.
What do you guys reckon I do from here?

NissanGQ4.2
29th August 2013, 05:31 PM
I would ring wholesale automatics and see how much it would be for an exchange reco box and compare the price to everyone else

How much is expensive????

liveyk7
29th August 2013, 05:34 PM
Well he is saying he has checked a few places for parts and the gear box some kit was itself $800.. and he said he has to find more partsalso said that no one will take this for exchange as its melted.

Said will give some prices tomorrow..

lhurley
29th August 2013, 05:36 PM
Bump!!

Just spoke to mechanic.. says the whole thing inside is melted? ? Told me to come down to have a look. Says he is trying to find the parts to recondition it.and said its gonna be expensive...
I spoke to niss4x4 and they quoted 990 for a gearbox with about 70k kms on it.. and 3 month warranty.
What do you guys reckon I do from here?

Mate that the same thing that happened to mine. Trust me its not cheap. Jump at that 2nd hand box, and get it recod. You will also need new oil lines and cooler as they will be blocked by parts of the gearbox.

NissanGQ4.2
29th August 2013, 05:38 PM
I don't know anything about the company's policies on exchange but I don't see why they wouldn't if they could rebuild it and from what you have said in your post the place you have it at now is planning on rebuilding it? Still worth a ring in my opinion, never hurts to ask or get a second or third quote on work you want done.

liveyk7
30th August 2013, 12:46 PM
Ok verdict is

Radiator block casuing the gearbox to heat up without sufficient cooling. Cooked the gears on the trans.
About 4k to rebuild. Apparently it was already rebuilt.
He will give a 12 month 20k km warranty on this. If we buy a 2nd hand gearbox and that fails warranty wont cover me again.
He will write up a quote for warranty to try and get the full 2k from there. So id have to fork out 2k.
Unfortunately due to my condition now on crutches I cant take it elsewhere and mess around.
So saying that this guy will have to do it, and rebuild it is the 4k ok?

lhurley
30th August 2013, 12:57 PM
That's what I paid for the same situation. Does that 4k include a new trans cooler and temp gauge?

liveyk7
30th August 2013, 01:50 PM
That's what I paid for the same situation. Does that 4k include a new trans cooler and temp gauge?

Not sure mate. He will give me a full price soom when he has cost for all parts he said. Have to replace radiator as well it seems.

Edit : Should I ask for them?

lhurley
30th August 2013, 03:37 PM
Not sure mate. He will give me a full price soom when he has cost for all parts he said. Have to replace radiator as well it seems.

Edit : Should I ask for them?

Wouldnt hurt mate, as it will be blocked/damaged if it was a cooling issue that killed it. The temp gauge doesnt really matter either way, its just really handy to know more of whats happening in there. You would be surprised at how hot it can get and how quickly.

twisty
30th August 2013, 04:05 PM
Oh dear. Sorry to hear. My radiator killed my auto as well (water leak). Cost me about $6k with radiator and Wholesale Extreme box. Bypassed the (brand new) radiator altogether and fitted a cooler instead. Yep, $4k is about right. Good luck.

liveyk7
3rd September 2013, 02:18 PM
Warranty declined. Consequential damage arising from radiator and transmission cooling..
I missed that word on the warranty booklet.
Dont have $4k to spend..
So only option is buy the used gb from wreckers and fit it in. Can manage it off within 2.5k mechanic reckons..

taslucas
3rd September 2013, 04:00 PM
That sucks mate. Hope you can find a good replacement. Where abouts are you located? Might be worth giving wholesale automatics a call (they're in Vic.)

liveyk7
3rd September 2013, 07:12 PM
That sucks mate. Hope you can find a good replacement. Where abouts are you located? Might be worth giving wholesale automatics a call (they're in Vic.)

Hey Mate,

Im in vic. Very close to them. But called and they wanted the same amount for rebuild too. or $4.5K for heavy duty rebuild. Most likely gonna buy the 2nd hand one with 125K kms on it with a 3 month parts and labor warranty for $1100 and mechanic said rest would be about another $1.2K to replace radiator, cooler etc including costs to fit the gearbox..

liveyk7
4th September 2013, 04:12 PM
Ordered and paid for the second hand transmission from niss4x4.
Came with 3 months parts and labour warranty. So hopefully this keeps me going for a while until I save up cash for a full rebuild.
$1100 here and another $1200 for mechanic for fitting this, new cooler and radiator

I'll try and get the gauge installed if possible too.
Most probably sell it after this. Being told by a lot of people go for toyomotas. And this wouldnt happen on them.Told them to get stuffed ;)

lhurley
4th September 2013, 05:32 PM
Ordered and paid for the second hand transmission from niss4x4.
Came with 3 months parts and labour warranty. So hopefully this keeps me going for a while until I save up cash for a full rebuild.
$1100 here and another $1200 for mechanic for fitting this, new cooler and radiator

I'll try and get the gauge installed if possible too.
Most probably sell it after this. Being told by a lot of people go for toyomotas. And this wouldnt happen on them.Told them to get stuffed ;)

Dont do it mate, dont become one of them (a toymota driver) Your patrol is still better then any of them anyways.

Whats your reasoning behind selling it if you dont mind me asking?? If its because of the auto blowing, after it gets fixed it will be as good as new and you will be letting go of a very good car, to possibly own another that does the same thing.

liveyk7
4th September 2013, 05:54 PM
Hey mate..

No toyotas. Dont stress..;) came from a pathfinder (fleet car) to this ;)

I was thinking of upgrading to a crd. Most prob a 2009-2011 model.
Ill pay a bit extra for a well maintained car and then I know its not gonna cost me more along the way.
Most prob an ex fleet car where I can finance the extra bit from selling this.
Spent over $6k on this already on mods.

For someone who doesnt know any mechanical stuff its hard to cope with these. While someone who knows what they are looking at will most prob make better use of this car and keep it in better shape. This had had no maintenance history from 80000kms to when I got it in April this year. Ive been changing whatever I know like oil, filters etc every 5000kms. But lack of maintenance previously and me not knowing what to get checked seems to be a downfall for me all the time ; ( and this is the first used car I bought from a dealer thinking the warranty will give me peace of mind. But its not to be.

lhurley
4th September 2013, 06:03 PM
Hey mate..

No toyotas. Dont stress..;) came from a pathfinder (fleet car) to this ;)

I was thinking of upgrading to a crd. Most prob a 2009-2011 model.
Ill pay a bit extra for a well maintained car and then I know its not gonna cost me more along the way.
Most prob an ex fleet car where I can finance the extra bit from selling this.
Spent over $6k on this already on mods.

For someone who doesnt know any mechanical stuff its hard to cope with these. While someone who knows what they are looking at will most prob make better use of this car and keep it in better shape. This had had no maintenance history from 80000kms to when I got it in April this year. Ive been changing whatever I know like oil, filters etc every 5000kms. But lack of maintenance previously and me not knowing what to get checked seems to be a downfall for me all the time ; ( and this is the first used car I bought from a dealer thinking the warranty will give me peace of mind. But its not to be.

Fair enough. I have had to do heaps of thing to my car due to the same reasons, it does take its toll.
It sucks spending so much money up front but at the end of the day, you get what you paid for.

liveyk7
4th September 2013, 06:29 PM
Fair enough. I have had to do heaps of thing to my car due to the same reasons, it does take its toll.
It sucks spending so much money up front but at the end of the day, you get what you paid for.

Well in my case I didnt ;)

I could have purchased a 2008 crd with 75k kms for 27500. But me wife kept me to a strict 25k.
So I bought this from a dealer. Could have got a 2004 guiv as this privately for 22 while I paid 24.5 for this thinking a dealer is better to buy from and the warranty as well. And i was in a rush as I had to rush to qld 3 days after I bought it.
Either way tough luck. Lol. Gonna Goto bunnings get some concrete and will have to harden the **** up and be ready to lose a good 4-5k ;).
But lets see how we go. I might win a lotto..
A broken ankle and gearbox last week
This week may give me something better ;)

lhurley
4th September 2013, 07:23 PM
Well in my case I didnt ;)

I could have purchased a 2008 crd with 75k kms for 27500. But me wife kept me to a strict 25k.
So I bought this from a dealer. Could have got a 2004 guiv as this privately for 22 while I paid 24.5 for this thinking a dealer is better to buy from and the warranty as well. And i was in a rush as I had to rush to qld 3 days after I bought it.
Either way tough luck. Lol. Gonna Goto bunnings get some concrete and will have to harden the **** up and be ready to lose a good 4-5k ;).
But lets see how we go. I might win a lotto..
A broken ankle and gearbox last week
This week may give me something better ;)

Just the luck of the draw. Just think, your only way is up.

liveyk7
5th September 2013, 11:12 AM
Yuppie!!!..
Whatdya reckon if I am trading it in, strip it down to stock even the bullbar?

Squalo
5th September 2013, 12:29 PM
You don't get much for any extras on the vehicle, so if you can take the gear off that you will want for the next vehicle, go for it...

liveyk7
5th September 2013, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know if I can find an automatic 4.2td model?
Or is it possible to convert a manual to automatic?

happygu
5th September 2013, 11:20 PM
There are a couple of people that have put an Auto behind the 4.2, but it isn't a standard item here in Australia as Nissan Aust didn't see fit to bring it in.

Mic

liveyk7
6th September 2013, 01:02 PM
There are a couple of people that have put an Auto behind the 4.2, but it isn't a standard item here in Australia as Nissan Aust didn't see fit to bring it in.

Mic

Hey mic

is it a big job? I much rather buy a 4.2 version than a conversion.. but the auto is a must as mrs needs to drive too when im passed out on trips ;)

Edit : just spoke to wholesale automatics. $14.5k DIDO .. farrrrrk..

liveyk7
10th September 2013, 03:59 PM
Annnnd she's home..

lhurley
10th September 2013, 04:21 PM
Annnnd she's home..

That was quick. Mine took a freaking month. How does she feel?? Happy mate?

liveyk7
10th September 2013, 04:45 PM
Feels a lot better.. but its not rebuilt mate. Just a 2nd hand box in. And radiator replaced.. have a trip to do next month.. just thinking if I should be taking it or not. ... ..... ...
Its on carsales already ;)

happygu
10th September 2013, 06:35 PM
Yuppie!!!..
Whatdya reckon if I am trading it in, strip it down to stock even the bullbar?

Not sure why you are getting rid of it now it is all fixed, but i got $1000 more for mine stock, after i pulled $15000 of gear off it.
When I went to trade it in, I asked how much for as is, and how much in showroom trim, and that was the answer

Mic

liveyk7
10th September 2013, 06:53 PM
Mate I cant afford to put more time or.money into it.. if anything else goes wrong im screwed as it impacts work.

The 2nd hand box was supposedly about 125k kms old. But the case was soiled etc. Cant afford a rebuild or to break down again. Im heading out to dubbo, mudgee, narribri in october and its critical I have a running car. If I get stuck there is a lot at stake. Including a new born baby waiting at home by then.

Ive spoken to one dealer who will give me a 2010 gu6 with 60k kms on it bullbar on for a $20k changeover. But means they are only giving me $14k for mine.. so most prob sell and buy privately and only if it has perfect service history.

liveyk7
28th September 2013, 11:29 AM
Full checkup underway... if all good I keep the car ; )

Check out whats sitting outside here..

liveyk7
28th September 2013, 06:46 PM
Ok guys.. seems like a clean bill of health atleast for now.
Ecu didnt bring any faults up apparently.
Recommended I put in an adjustable drag link as the 2 inch lift as apparently lifted it much more???
This is the alternative to align the steering wheel to taking it to nissan to take off the steering wheel for the job.
Castor correction also recommeneded

$680 for both the above quoted.

Bearings have a bit of movement apparently too therefore recommended to get that fixed. How big of a job is this? Forgot to ask him for a cost.

Slight oil leak at sump and engine but he said no biggie. If I see puddles of oil then take action.

Thats all. All else is good apparently.
They took is for a drive and said transmission does ok..

Also the manual boost controller is not gonna do the job of the dawes valve apparently. . I was mislead by the guy who put it in.
Quoted $580 for nads kit excluding egr block as I already have it in. This is for dawes valve and catch cab put in.

Whatdya guys reckon about these prices and bits?
Spoke to aus4wd in bayswater and they wanted $330 for the catchcan (1l) and dawes valve.

BillPatrol
7th November 2013, 09:23 AM
Hello I am new to this forum and don't really know were to ask questions.
I have a 2007 GU IV Patrol ZD30 Common Rail Auto with the A/T Temp light on and it will not run. I took the battery lead off last night and replaced it this morning and the engine started up first kick, then ran for approx 30 sec before the A/T Temp light came on again and then it stopped. The engine will not start while this is on ??? Now I know it is not hot so why does the Temp light come on and shut it down ????????

I would reallyappreciate any help ?

lhurley
7th November 2013, 09:59 AM
Hello I am new to this forum and don't really know were to ask questions.
I have a 2007 GU IV Patrol ZD30 Common Rail Auto with the A/T Temp light on and it will not run. I took the battery lead off last night and replaced it this morning and the engine started up first kick, then ran for approx 30 sec before the A/T Temp light came on again and then it stopped. The engine will not start while this is on ??? Now I know it is not hot so why does the Temp light come on and shut it down ????????
I would reallyappreciate any help ?

Probably best to start your own thread. Go to the gu section and top left is the new thread button.

threedogs
7th November 2013, 10:30 AM
Dawes valve is $44 from 3barracing
the catch can of choice is the prevent 200 not sure on price
needle valve is $85 from dependable Distributers in SA
OR
PM Mudski for the whole lot
Plus you first need Boost and ET gauge on a pillar pod,
buy the triple and also fit a water temp gauge as well.

Still got me beat why you want to sell your Patrol that you just fixed.
To say tojos don't overheat is a brave call, I have 2 radiators here that refute that statement