PDA

View Full Version : why are some patrol sevices so expensive

zucan
21st August 2013, 06:09 PM
I was doing some research into service costs an example is 24 month service is $1062 nissan patrol 3 ltr

there must be a huge amount of work done at that price

now toyota landcruser 70 series is $300 caped service

I did read nissan patrol is the most expensive to service

Also with the road side service that state you are limited to places you can take a 2 wheel drive

who decides on that one

I know the RAA guys here in town often head out to camrons corner and beyond if you are covered with the top range RAA road service

I am looking at buying a 4x4 because i have ran out of places out and around Broken Hill where we live so we plan to go up to Birsdvile and places like that we are so close to these places and we so many opportunities with our hobby being outback photography.

thank you for your input and I hope I am in the correct place

so many of the places will be at times 4x4 only

dumpy
21st August 2013, 06:46 PM
sevice costs annoy me when most things can be done yourself, remove the labour costs and it doesn't cost much, then because the service book isn't filled out by a proffessional it dosen't look great when your selling, when really it has been looked after better by the owner than the dealer in most cases.

zucan
21st August 2013, 07:54 PM
I was reading some of the cost are $90 a hour for a mechanic and some of the oil charges are unreal but the further I get into it the understanding I am getting is if you want warranty if some thing goes wrong they pay or else they have you by the short and curleys lol

I bet you the mechanic does not get $90 per hour

taslucas
21st August 2013, 08:00 PM
I was reading some of the cost are $90 a hour for a mechanic and some of the oil charges are unreal but the further I get into it the understanding I am getting is if you want warranty if some thing goes wrong they pay or else they have you by the short and curleys lol

I bet you the mechanic does not get $90 per hour

Motors (holden) here in my local town charge $120 an hour labour

pearcey
21st August 2013, 08:16 PM
No the tradesman does not get $90 an hour ,but the business will have an amazing amount of overheads to cover.
Just be glad your not dealing with a Lawyer where they charge for phone calls and letters at ridiculous amounts.

megatexture
21st August 2013, 08:23 PM
It's because Nissan pay 3 apprentice to do the work of 1 qualified mechanic.

taslucas
21st August 2013, 08:30 PM
now toyota landcruser 70 series is $300 caped service

Its because toyota sell a heck of a lot more "average" cars (like camry and hilux) that they can hold up the more expensive models.
But i like to think they need to lower their 4wd prices just so people buy them and not buy the superior patrol!
and also, it costs more to service a lamborghini than a falcon lol......

happygu
21st August 2013, 08:31 PM
Most of the Patrol services are capped at around $300.

It is only the 40, 80, 120, 160, 200, etc, which are the big services.....

I would think Toyota would be similar....

NP99
21st August 2013, 11:56 PM
A manual, some tools, some oils and some time can reduce those service $$$$

megatexture
22nd August 2013, 01:05 AM
A mates brother works at mitsibishi dealership as a mechanic and he got an award from them for being there best service mechanic and he is only a 3rd year apprentice ....

Bulbous
22nd August 2013, 06:18 AM

You think that others don't do this? BMW certainly do and they're supposed to be "Prestige"

megatexture
22nd August 2013, 06:56 AM
He serviced a friends car for cash, removed his wiper blades and forgot to replace them and left the new ones undet the bonnet lol .
I know they have to learn somehow but I bet they arnt supervised closely

zucan
22nd August 2013, 12:51 PM
Thank you for the feed back

TimE
22nd August 2013, 02:14 PM
An indication of the cost of having an employee can be seen from the real cost to the employer of about 2.5 times the employees salary, this covers leave, super, insurances, facilities, uniforms etc. So if the employees is on $30 an hour it costs the boss about $75 in wages and costs, take that from the what you are charged and the Owner now has to cover power, equipment, rents, insurance costs etc, then add a bit for profit, sort of goes some way to explaining why $135/hour is charged by my bloke.

I just had a 100,000 k service done on my 4.2 tdi, 6 hours labour (cost me $1200 all up with oils and parts), check the book and there is a lot to be done, including resetting the tappets.

pbk1776
22nd August 2013, 04:18 PM
Hence the reason why I do not buy brand new cars - I have to admit it
all my cars are second hand - get it check thoroughly with log books
before buying so you can get prepared for any repairs needed

megatexture
22nd August 2013, 05:16 PM
Buy a new car and service it yourself, Its not like nissans warranty is worth anything anyway.

NissanGQ4.2
22nd August 2013, 05:37 PM
Or just do what I do and don't get it service at all

Unlike GU's the GQ's don't need servicing *L*

zucan
23rd August 2013, 12:20 PM
thank you for your input

Bush Ranger
29th August 2013, 07:21 PM
I bought a vehicle years a go that still had a year left for warranty, so I got it serviced by a mechanic, just to keep the warranty, until it ran out. After that, I changed all fluids my self and any filters as well. I do agree that the prices for services are a bit rich.