PDA

View Full Version : high idle on 98 2.8 gu patrol

turbo harrow
21st August 2013, 01:16 PM
hey guys, just a quick question before i start mucking around with the injector fuel screw,
last week i was out bush doing what patrols do best and showing up toyotas when half way up a rocky climb it all of a sudden starting idleing higher at 1300revs. i starting driving it home and found a hill i had to have a go at. almost to the top and the harmonic shat it self. keyway in balancer flogged out. ive since fixed with new balancer and some dowels, new bolt etc but its still revving high. i was hoping it was a by product of the balancer going but not that lucky.
i thought the set screw but its not loose or anything so why to instant higher idle. i then thought maybe the balancer somehow made the timing belt jump a tooth and put the pump out, i retimed it and still high.

any ideas fellas
josh

Col.T
21st August 2013, 06:45 PM
G'day Turb,
Never had on of those 2.8 units, so can't help really.
Wouldn't mind a few details on your profile page though so we know a bit about you.
The prob. sounds a bit odd though. May take a while for the 2.8 Gurus to get back to you but in the meantime , reckon I'd be not playing too radical. Sounds like a bit careful may be the way to go.
No help but all the best,
Col

trekster
21st August 2013, 09:24 PM
Nissannewby may be the man to speak to!

Cheers,
Eric.

turbo harrow
21st August 2013, 11:52 PM
Ended up pulling the throttle pedal out and took a look. One of the securing screws was missing on the sensor adjuster. Plugged it back in and moved the sensor till 800rpm was achieved. Drives like it used too. Hopefully that was the issue.
Cheers

Col.T
26th August 2013, 07:17 PM
Good one mate.
God knows how many years it would have taken me to get to that little trick
Col