PDA

View Full Version : starter motor issue

jjgq89
20th August 2013, 10:00 PM
hi guys ok so im over the truck atm

ive changed my auto to manual since doing this I have had a number of issues mainly the starter motor I have had to buy a new one as the old auto one seemed to be a diesel starter motor strange haha any ways since putting the new one in it started twice then refused to refire. I had an auto electrician out to fix the issue he said he started it a number of times and ran fine.

anyways got home went to start the old girl ticked over first try problem was the starter motor was still running after the car had started I quickly turned the car off and pulled the key out yet the starter motor remained on I quickly disconnected the battery but now I cant reconnect the battery because the starter motor turns on

any ideas guys im at my whits end :(

happygu
20th August 2013, 10:16 PM
Looks like the starter solenoid is jammed on...

You will need to bash the solenoid with a hammer, or remove the starter, and get it looked at properly.

Mic

jjgq89
20th August 2013, 10:34 PM
haha even though its brand spankin new gotta love new parts haha

happygu
20th August 2013, 10:41 PM
haha even though its brand spankin new gotta love new parts haha

Either that or the starter relay is jammed on, but I would guess the starter solenoid as the likely culprit.

Mic

jjgq89
20th August 2013, 10:42 PM
great ill pull it out again thanks for the help Mic

jjgq89
20th August 2013, 11:07 PM
sorry Mic just a quick one what would cause this seeing as its brand new is the part faulty or something wrong with current etc

Yendor
20th August 2013, 11:16 PM
Disconnect the smaller wire at the starter motor first and see if it still running on. This will isolate the vehicle's wiring as the cause.

Double checked that the mounting bolts for the starter motor are tight.

Are you sure it's the correct starter motor?

happygu
20th August 2013, 11:24 PM
As Yendor says,

Disconnect the smaller wire, as this is from the starter relay, which tells the main solenoid on the starter itself to engage.

If it is still running on when you connect up the battery, it is definitely the solenoid. If it doesn't there could be power to/through the starter relay when there shouldn't be.

Mic

threedogs
21st August 2013, 08:34 AM
Are the teeth the same on the Fly wheel
and flex plate as in how many?
Solenoid jamming on

Parksy
21st August 2013, 03:33 PM
It's funny how you say yours has a diesel starter motor because mine does too. Is this normal?

jjgq89
21st August 2013, 08:08 PM
disconnected the small wire and still engaged so out it came and back to the supplier
yes definitely the correct starter motor. I would like to know whether the autos all came with diesel starter motors or if they were changed??? puzzling

Parksy
21st August 2013, 08:13 PM
Mines a manual.

happygu
21st August 2013, 08:33 PM
disconnected the small wire and still engaged so out it came and back to the supplier
yes definitely the correct starter motor. I would like to know whether the autos all came with diesel starter motors or if they were changed??? puzzling

Definitely the Starter Solenoid jammed - could be just an assembly fault....

Hopefully a new one should see you on the road again

Mic

jjgq89
21st August 2013, 09:28 PM
oh right that's even more weird its abit of effort just to put a diesel starter on