PDA

View Full Version : How should a new clutch feel

whastie
20th August 2013, 06:23 PM
Hi Guys, Today I had new clutch (Kit) fitted to my Patrol - 1998 TD Wagon 2.8L Y61 GU. Is anyone able to tell me how it is supposed to feel.
It feels very light. Is supposed to be Heavy Duty.

Appreciate any comments.

Regards
Wayne

Parksy
20th August 2013, 06:35 PM
If you're used to an old clutch being a little "slippy" then the new clutch will feel "grabby". Excuse the technical terms. As for your pedal feel, the linkages and what not would have been given a grease while it was all apart and that can have a big impact on pedal feel.

whastie
20th August 2013, 06:42 PM
Thanks Parksy - and you are right, the technical stuff is way past me. The pedal feels very soft/easy to depress. That was my concern. I have had the vehicle since new and cannot remember the clutch/pedal being so easy to depress.

Regards
Wayne

BigRAWesty
20th August 2013, 07:39 PM
You possible had a small vaccum leak which would give the pedal (clutch and brakes) a heavier feel.
Apart from that if your not crunching gears and the changes feel smooth then its probably just a bit of TCL as mentioned above..

mudski
20th August 2013, 11:08 PM
This is my take on this. When I did my clutch I greased up the thrust bearing carrier which slides back and forth on the nose cone of the gearbox as you depress the clutch. When the clutch has been in a while, the grease is not so slippery anymore and slowly dissipates over time. Therefor the carrier will tend to stick and grab on the nose cone. When I replaced the clutch I greased up the carrier and nosecone and the clutch was very smooth and light on the foot. But now its back to what it was, around 8 months after fitment.