PDA

View Full Version : Tube from brake calliper?

LocknLoad
19th August 2013, 09:21 PM
GU Patrol. There is a rubber tube leading from the front brake calliper and terminates on the base plate of the coil spring. It is open.
1. Does anyone know what it does?
2. Do I need to extend it for water crossings?

BigRAWesty
19th August 2013, 09:51 PM
Bleeding brakes on the run???

Any pics?

happygu
19th August 2013, 10:00 PM
Haven't got the same tube on my 2011 model.

All you have is the incoming ABS Brake Line coming in along the Radius Arm, which passes by the Spring Seat on the diff ......

Is it coming off the bleed nipple?

Mic

LocknLoad
20th August 2013, 12:27 AM
I'll have a closer look tomorrow and take a pic. It's a GU9, bought it new a few weeks ago. Was looking to see if it had extensions on the diff breathers and was pleasantly surprised. But noticed these open hoses as I was getting out from under the car. Didn't have a long look but seemed to be coming from the brake calliper.

LocknLoad
21st August 2013, 12:27 AM
33194 this is a picture of the hose

LocknLoad
21st August 2013, 12:29 AM
33195 and another showing where the tube ends.

LocknLoad
21st August 2013, 12:36 AM
On closer inspection, it doesn't go to the brake calliper, but somewhere in that region. The thin metal tube goes into the thick rubber tube, which terminates near the spring. Maybe something to do with the ABS?

nissannewby
21st August 2013, 01:30 AM
It is a wheel speed sensor which is used with the abs I think. It shouldn't terminate there it will continue up through that shielding to your abs controller.

Col.T
21st August 2013, 06:08 PM
G'day Lockn',
Reckon the Neboy is on the track.
I'm reasonably sure there aren't any open ended lines from your brakes; why would there be? There will be a line from the
ABS sensor plate/disc/rotor back to the guts of the computer system though.
Reckon you've got to trace it ALL THE WAY from one end to the other.
If it disappears into the electronic system I reckon I'd call it quits. Got to be a full line/system though. If it goes nowhere though I'd think it was an add on by
someone who had designed his own maintenance system.
Good luck
cCol

LocknLoad
21st August 2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks Newby and Col.T. Checked it again and I reckon the eye sight is going. You r both right, it is doesnt terminate where I thought. That was only the insulation sleeve around a thinner tube. It actually continues into the engine bay so I stopped at that point and put it down to ABS. Problem solved as I was only concerned about water entry.

While I have your attn though, does anyone know whether a stock GU requires any mods before water crossing. Manuf specs say wading depth of up to 700ml so am I safe to assume all good to the top of the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

nissannewby
22nd August 2013, 12:15 AM
Get a snorkel mate its cheap peace of mind then you need not worry unless its over the windscreen.

BigRAWesty
22nd August 2013, 12:42 AM
Get a snorkel mate its cheap peace of mind then you need not worry unless its over the windscreen.

I'm with newby. You could safely sit the car in 700mm of water, but your moving ay, creating waves and splash. All you need is a small wave bounce Off a river wall and its over the bonnet..

Grab a snorkel, seal it all up properly and have solid piece of mind..

LocknLoad
24th August 2013, 01:09 AM
Thanks gents. First mod on the list

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app