PDA

View Full Version : smoking motor

Garth
19th August 2013, 08:20 PM
guys,

i have a question, i have done a quick search, but havnt found anything that might point me in the right direction, so ill ask.

my wonderfull nissan patrol zd30 seems to be doing something strange.
when you start the car up there is a little bit of black smoke, which does stop. from what i can understand this is normal. at idle there is no smoke, when you drive the car, it is fine, the minute it hits anymore than 2500rpm it likes to blow black smoke, is there any particular event or anything that causes this smoke to occur? and what should i be doing to prevent this from happening. i have heared all about the nads thing, which will be done in due time, will this decrease the smoke thing?

garth

happygu
19th August 2013, 08:32 PM
Hi Garth,

How much smoke ..... can you see it in the rear vision mirror?

Does it do it when you are revving it in the driveway?

Mic

Garth
19th August 2013, 11:03 PM
Hi there happy,
The smoke is only visible when there is a car behind me of a night time and their lights illuminate the rear, otherwise of a day time no I can't see it in the rear view. It does blow smoke when in the driveway sometimes, not all the time.

happygu
19th August 2013, 11:15 PM
That seems to be fairly normal.

I can see a little bit of smoke out of mine occasionally, and normally only in the headlights of others....

Mic

BigRAWesty
19th August 2013, 11:44 PM
I'd say normal. The smoke at start up is excess diesel from the start up.. And then the smoke at 2500 could be the turbo really starting to hook in.

Have you got any mods? chip, exhaust, snorkel? I'm not sure when a stock zd30 comes in boost but I know it is quite high..
A good exhaust will increase the Perrky'ness of the turbo and it will come on earlier. A worthy upgrade for sure.
But yes, NADS first...

threedogs
20th August 2013, 08:58 AM
Do you have a chip fitted ?? If so wind it back 2 clicks, check all hoses on the intercooler making sure none have split or popped off,
The blue hose in pic is hose that blows off'
Also change your air filter and give your MAF a spray