PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 Alternator Pulley Exploded

Woodsta1704
19th August 2013, 11:43 AM
On Saturday the Missus went out to a friends farm in the Patrol (02 GU Turbo Diesel wagon) with the kids and whilst driving along near the farm she heard a "bang"noise come from under the bonnet. No alarms came up and the car continued to drive "fine". (She failed to inform me of the "Bang"when I spoke to her on the phone that night)
On Sunday when she was on her way home driving along the highway the car brought up every dash light/alarm known to man and the engine temp went through the roof. Fortunately she was traveling in convoy with a couple of friends. (one of whom is a mechanic)
Upon inspection under the bonnet they found that the belt had been thrown off and then on closer inspection they found that the alternator pulley had disintegrated!!!
The next job was to go try and find an alternator on a Sunday in Perth. After searching around, the wife finally ended up at Repco and fortunately they had a couple in stock. Too my surprise the alternator was on special and the wife's friend holds an RAC member's card, so with the discount and the item being on special she only paid $315.
My friend fitted the alternator and all was well.
The strange thing is once I had a look at the alternator when the wife got home was that it still spins freely and there doesn't appear to be any other damage other than the pulley.
Has anyone ever had this happen to them???
I fitted the old alternator about 2.5 years ago.
I did recently replace the belt and belt tensioner because it was seized. Am wondering if this may have had anything to do with it.
Check out the photo's
Cheers Woody

threedogs
19th August 2013, 12:29 PM
Cant find my pics but my Alternator melted the pulley off, no noise no nothing,
I'll try and find pics
Symtoms were a little belt squeaking noise at camp which we put down to a bit of water
on the belts, a small tap on the throttle and the noise went away.
We all dismissed this as not being a Major problem, wrong.
Should be pics on previous thread

NP99
19th August 2013, 08:36 PM
It's sounds like a production fault of pulleys. A particular supplier is probably at fault, but it is going to be hard to prove!

pearcey
19th August 2013, 08:56 PM
G`day Woody
The pulley has an over running clutch built in to it and this is what has let go.
I have replaced one of these clutches as it had seized and had become miss aligned.
The new pulley was not cheap and required a special tool to remove and replace it.
There was a solid pulley made to replace the clutched one which would eliminate the exploding or seizing problem but after discussions with
auto elect mates we decided to stay with the clutched pulley as these things are put in place for a reason by the factory This was not on my car but a customers and i like to keep things as close to manufactures spec`s as possible.
Hope this helps
Pearcey

happygu
19th August 2013, 10:10 PM
G`day Woody
The pulley has an over running clutch built in to it and this is what has let go.
I have replaced one of these clutches as it had seized and had become miss aligned.
The new pulley was not cheap and required a special tool to remove and replace it.
There was a solid pulley made to replace the clutched one which would eliminate the exploding or seizing problem but after discussions with
auto elect mates we decided to stay with the clutched pulley as these things are put in place for a reason by the factory This was not on my car but a customers and i like to keep things as close to manufactures spec`s as possible.
Hope this helps
Pearcey

Pearcey,

I think that you have done the right thing as it isn't a common fault - they will fail, but most give really good service.

I am following these guys, as they are travelling all around the world in their Patrol, and after 3 incredibly hard years, and over 100,000 Klms in the worst conditions, they have just had theirs fail....
www.unurban.no

Mic

pearcey
19th August 2013, 10:22 PM
Pearcey,

I think that you have done the right thing as it isn't a common fault - they will fail, but most give really good service.

I am following these guys, as they are travelling all around the world in their Patrol, and after 3 incredibly hard years, and over 100,000 Klms in the worst conditions, they have just had theirs fail....
www.unurban.no

Mic

The pulleys are made in Germany. this was not only the replacement but also the original fitment which quite surprised me.
These pulleys are very common on American produced cars. As you say failures are fairly rare.

Woodsta1704
19th August 2013, 10:36 PM
After 2.5 years of being fitted to the car I am not to worried that it let go. I would however like to get another pulley for it as there is nothing wrong with the alternator. Would be good for a spare just in case.
Cheers Woody

P.S thanks everyone for the info too.

pearcey
19th August 2013, 10:50 PM
Woody
The part no I nave is CP301GQ trade price $195 inc
You can buy of the net
You will need the tool to remove and replace as well as a rattle gun
You can buy the pulley with the tool again at a price .
Pearcey

threedogs
20th August 2013, 08:51 AM
Pulley failed when Patrol had around 175K on it,
couldn't find my pics, but it twisted off that shaft

Woodsta1704
20th August 2013, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all your advice Mic
Really appreciate it
Cheers Mate
Woody