PDA

View Full Version : Turbocharging my RD28 Diesel

ThePolarbear
19th August 2013, 09:33 AM
Hi mates
As I am wanting a bit more power out of my Nissan 2.8 RD non turbo engine I am thinking of
putting a turbo on it. I have a turbo with manifold, cylinder head with injectors and injector pump from
RD28T engine and I am wondering how much I need to use of this to convert my non turbo.
Can I just slam the turbo and manifold on or do I need to change the cylinder head too.
I am getting a lot of very different opinions on what I need to do so I want to get your opinion on this.
Is the compression higher on the non turbo engine?
Do I have to change the injectors and pump?
I really need some answer because winter is fast approaching and I want to be ready for the first trip
to the the Highlands this winter with my mates.

ThePolarbear
20th August 2013, 06:39 AM
No suggestions, anyone.

trekster
20th August 2013, 09:09 PM
Surely someone has experience in this, more then likely haven't seen the thread I'd guess.

Cheers,
Eric.

Winnie
20th August 2013, 09:12 PM
I did not know that you could get a non turbo 2.8?

happygu
20th August 2013, 09:14 PM
Polarbear,

I am not an expert in the 2.8 non turbo diesel engine, as we don't have them here in Australia, but I do remember reading a thread somewhere, where someone had bought a non-turbo motor to replace another faulty Turbo model, as he was told it would be OK, but the mechanic had a whole host of issues fitting it....

Mic

nissannewby
20th August 2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah I didn't even know they came that way. You could do what you suggest but you need the wiring for it too.

ThePolarbear
20th August 2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys
The non turbo 2.8 is basically the same engine as the 2.8 turbo version so everything should fit, that's not
the problem. The only thing I am worried a bout is that there is a difference in the compression between
those two engines. Turbo engine usually have lower compression or so I am told.
There is probably only one way to find it out and that is to try it. :-)

nissannewby
20th August 2013, 10:38 PM
It's not a drama on a diesel mate with the compression

happygu
20th August 2013, 10:38 PM
PolarBear,

Australia version RD28Ti Turbocharged and Intercooled

Compression ratio 21.8:1

Mic

LaurelTurboDiesel
22nd February 2014, 12:36 PM
The manifolds fit, but you want to change the fuel pump beacause of the alda on the turbo pump. If you dont do you only get mutch smoke on low rpm :d