PDA

View Full Version : Gu iv ashtray replacement

liveyk7
17th August 2013, 11:05 PM
Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has been able to replace the ashtray bit in the center with a 12v socket panel, usb flush mount panel etc? If so how did you do it?

Im looking to install 2 x dual usb flush mount sockets with an extra cig socket.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

MudRunnerTD
17th August 2013, 11:19 PM
Hey all

Just wondering if anyone has been able to replace the ashtray bit in the center with a 12v socket panel, usb flush mount panel etc? If so how did you do it?

Im looking to install 2 x dual usb flush mount sockets with an extra cig socket.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I use mine for loose change for parking etc.

The centre console of the patrol is identical in left hand and right hand drive vehicles and as such there are 2 hand brake slots in them. In ours the left side of the console has a blanking plate. It unscrews from the back and you can take it out to cut nice little holes in it for your locker switches or an extra couple of power sockets.

While the console is out and your running wires installing a couple of rear facing sockets is a winner for the kids too ;)

In the GQ I have 3 switches there and a pressure gauge. I'd be worried about them filling with crap.

threedogs
18th August 2013, 09:19 AM
Without looking you could remove the ash tray all together and make a plate to suit, easy enough to do
or remove ash tray from lid and fit cig outlets into OE lid.

Limmy
18th August 2013, 09:47 AM
i needed a flush usb socket me gu4. I found a fairly close one, pretty flush. BELKIN brand costed $3 on ebay . CHEAP AS

gu iv already has 2 12v socket , you could get x 2 these BELKIN usb socket. use them when you need, take it out when you don't need. has a neat little green light when on

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/20130818_090337.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/neegas007/20130818_090419.jpg

threedogs
18th August 2013, 09:57 AM
I brought a double cig and double usb outlet off Ebay and stuck it to the inside of centre console.
then just plugged into OE cig socket, about $6 from memory

MudRunnerTD
18th August 2013, 10:33 AM
Here is a twin USB as above

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Twin-2-USB-Port-Universal-12V-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Charger-Power-Adapter-/261074309674?pt=US_MP3_Player_Chargers_Cradles&hash=item3cc93dd22a&_uhb=1

threedogs
18th August 2013, 02:12 PM
Found all these for you, plenty of different styles

threedogs
18th August 2013, 02:49 PM
Now that I've had time to think about it ,having the USB outlets facing up is just asking for trouble.
it will for ever be getting junk in it. either use a stepped drill and mount them in the side of your console and
hard wired back to your AUX battery and fused, so if you forget to unplug it you can still start your patrol, I have 2 outlets
at the rear of centre console one cig and one merit. In hindsight not ideal as always knocking the plugs out.
I like you will now need to re think my power usage. I have heated driver seat which I'll hard wire with a switch some where.
and power for my fridge is via a carling swith using one of the three blanks on centre console

megatexture
18th August 2013, 03:03 PM
I’ve got two of the bainbridge ones (middle left in 3dogs pics). one is in the camper and one in the car and they are great . the only down side is it can only cope with charging 1 ipad and nothing else or 2 phones , you can’t do an ipad and a phone it won’t charge them, just keep them at the state they are in once plugged in depending on what you have running on them. And I believe most of the dual plugs are the same.

threedogs
18th August 2013, 03:10 PM
@ Mega ,So you're saying better off buying single outlets ??

megatexture
18th August 2013, 03:21 PM
My reason for getting one was mainly for the ipad. They have one designed specifically for the ipad but it’s only a single plug and it’s got the same milliamp output as the dual plug and that output is shared once 2 devices are running. So for the price it was better to get the dual even though i won’t use the 2 plugs much but if i need to charge my phone i just unplug the pad for a short time.
So it really comes down to what suits you. These are the only brand of plugs i use also the extra$ is worth it imo

hope im making sence as im a bit hung over lmao