PDA

View Full Version : Poly trailers, pros and cons?

mudnut
17th August 2013, 09:03 PM
G,day all. My old 6x4 is slowly disintegrating back into the earth, and I need to replace it. I have seen some fully galvanised ones and of course, the poly trailers. Has anyone had one? Has it been a good buy? What problems have you encountered with them? Thanks, Mudnut.

oncedisturbed
17th August 2013, 10:30 PM
A member of SWAT 4x4 and also over at Offroad WA is in the process of naking an offroad HD trailer with a poly tub. has already got the tub and is very impressed with it, apparently very HD is worth looking at.

Downside I guess would you won't be able to weld extras on the tub but if you had the room on the frame as long as you didn't melt the tub shouldn't be an issue.

A lot lighter and less prone to splitting etc but I guess a lot harder to repair if the need arises.

I am going to look at these as well when time permits as I need to change mine over soon as well as the 7 x 4 I have is poorly made from a major maker over here in WA

macca86
17th August 2013, 10:42 PM
I am a boilermaker and a poly pipe and poly welder it is great stuff tough strong light won't rust. It can and will bow a little in the sun but doesn't affect strength. It can be welded and add ons etc but its expensive think stainless steel costs oh and it floats haha here's some stuff I've made out of poly

mudnut
17th August 2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks blokes, it looks like amazing stuff to work with.

oncedisturbed
17th August 2013, 11:00 PM
I forgot to mention that I did check out the Pod Trailers / Camper trailers and these things are great. Light, robust etc adn you can remove the camper top section and goes back to a normal trailer.

The camper top is pretty small and would really be ok for 1 person though

macca86
17th August 2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks blokes, it looks like amazing stuff to work with.

It's very particular in how you use it looks easy to do but if you cheat on the steps it can fail but if done right top stuff. It's also chemical and acid resistant and reasonable wear but can scratch but is pretty robust and can take a hit as its ductile