PDA

View Full Version : Towing and overdrive

asdex
17th August 2013, 06:33 PM
Hi, I have just been towing a 360 kg trailer and the again with an 800 kg tractor on it. Everything went fine but I was wondering about the overdrive. I notice the converter locks up only in overdrive so is it best to tow in overdrive with the lock up on or in the lower gear without lock up. I did use overdrive on the flat and turned it off on the hills.
Thanks,

megatexture
17th August 2013, 08:06 PM
I can't comment about the lock up as I've not done that mod but I always tow with overdrive off or the transmission keeps jumping and temps get up above 100degrees and I've got an aftermarket cooler fitted. with overdrive off trans temp won't go above 80 deg. Having said that the lockup switch should stop it jumping and keepthe temps down. I'm sure someone will comment with a lock up fitted.

Drew
18th August 2013, 09:32 AM
I always tow with the TC locked up and where I can leave it in overdrive (unless going up hill). I use EGT/revs tell me when to drop gears manually.

june
18th August 2013, 01:25 PM
X2 locked up switch on in every gear and watch pyro and tacho. tow 3 tonne and only use overdrive on flat hwy at 100 clicks otherwise egt start climbing. 3rd gear in the 4 speed auto ratio is 1/1 this is the gear most should use when towing to avoid high auto temps.

megatexture
18th August 2013, 01:54 PM
X2 locked up switch on in every gear and watch pyro and tacho. tow 3 tonne and only use overdrive on flat hwy at 100 clicks otherwise egt start climbing. 3rd gear in the 4 speed auto ratio is 1/1 this is the gear most should use when towing to avoid high auto temps.

So even with lock up you still drive overdrive off? Couldn’t imagine towing 3t with the patrol it’s too gutless

Drew
18th August 2013, 03:59 PM
3 tonne ? Impressive, the hills would be a killer. That would also be 500kg over the weight limits for ours too. I've tried it with overdrive off on the flats but the noise just annoyed me. :)

@mega I leave mine locked up unless I drop below 2200RPM then I drop a gear myself or disengage if I feel it's best (don't want to stall it :) ).

asdex
19th August 2013, 05:27 AM
No I don't have a lockup switch. The Safari is completely standard, not temp for the auto either. Is it normal for the lockup to be only in overdrive? I can see the revs drop a couple of hundred in this gear only. Therefore out of overdrive, I would be towing with no lockup. Is this ok?
Thanks,

june
19th August 2013, 09:38 AM
with a nomad heavy duty valve body and lock up torque converter patrol and van can be left in overdrive at 100k's. egt is 440 degrees and auto temps are 80 degrees. this is flat hwy runs. when climbing hills I manual change gears watching tacho and pyro and boost getting engine in its sweet spot. 95 clicks would be as low as I would leave it in 4th otherwise egt's climb. its no rocket ship but 17L/100 not to bad with 3 tonne behind it. when locked up auto temps stay at 80 degrees in all gears,take it off and temps are around 110 degrees.

asdex
19th August 2013, 10:11 AM
Ok thanks, I might put in my signature thing what vehicle I have as I forget to specify.
It doesn't have a turbo and is a 4.2 diesel. I will get an auto temperature gauge in the future. Does the 95k still apply? Eg. as long as I'm on the flat at 100k I'm ok to tow in overdrive (and lockup) with my trailer and tractor and when I drop below 95k or start to climb take it out of overdrive? (no lockup)
Cheers,

asdex
19th August 2013, 11:04 AM
Signature added.

june
22nd August 2013, 11:25 AM
you will get to know what gear your vehicle likes. if the engine labours change down. with my vehicle 95 clicks is in perfect conditions. eg. no head winds. bad conditions I would leave it in 3rd and drive between 90 and 95 k's. steep mountain ranges climbing I would change gears down early keeping turbo spooling with tacho around 2800 to 3000rpm. your patrol will be different than mine as gear ratio and engine are not the same.

asdex
22nd August 2013, 12:01 PM
Hi, thanks for the information. I'm coming to Melbourne next month to visit family so might go the the automatic shop there that sells the temperature senders and lockup units and have a look at them.
Cheers,

Drew
22nd August 2013, 05:42 PM
Hi, thanks for the information. I'm coming to Melbourne next month to visit family so might go the the automatic shop there that sells the temperature senders and lockup units and have a look at them.
Cheers,

I was going to do that but I built Chaz's lockup kit for heaps less & got the experience of doing it and I'm no sparky.

I should've got shares in the burns ointment company first though coz me and soldering irons .. Well 'nuff said :)

asdex
2nd October 2013, 07:53 AM
The oil temp sender and gauge at the auto shop in Melbourne is very expensive and the sender isn't sold on its own so that's out.
Might look at gluing one somewhere on the casing.
Cheers,

Drew
2nd October 2013, 12:31 PM
The oil temp sender and gauge at the auto shop in Melbourne is very expensive and the sender isn't sold on its own so that's out.
Might look at gluing one somewhere on the casing.
Cheers,
What did it come to ?