PDA

View Full Version : 4.8 Extractors

smicko
16th August 2013, 02:34 PM
I've read quite a bit of conjecture as to whether post '06 4.8's can be fitted with headers or not. This is due to the three cats installed as opposed to pre '06 with a single cat.

The answer is yes it can be done, two high flow cats replace three and does it make a difference?

Oh hell yes!! This thing's a freaking rocket ship now!

Clunk
16th August 2013, 05:20 PM
And how's the fuel consumption ;)

smicko
16th August 2013, 07:05 PM
Too scared to find out Clunk!

Clunk
16th August 2013, 08:37 PM
Do what I do mate...... Just drive and don't worry about it :D

oncedisturbed
16th August 2013, 08:46 PM
Yest they can but 06 models only have 2 x O2 sensors where as after 06 (mine being 09) have 4 x O2 sensors.

At the moment there are very few headers / extractors that even have the ability to mount 2 O2 sensors.

smicko
17th August 2013, 10:53 AM
Mines '07 OD and has 4 02 sensors as well. Do it, you won't believe the difference it makes. You're welcome to take mine for a spin if you like.

oncedisturbed
17th August 2013, 12:26 PM
Smicko, cheers bud, am in perth so not sure if youre here but what make did you get as I cant find any that takes 4 o2 sensors

Never underestimate the power of the darkside, let the tap flow through you.

threedogs
17th August 2013, 01:01 PM
I added extractors and a 2.5 in system to my other 4x4, it was like I had another gear.
And knowing how Nissan choke these motors unleashing the beast must feel great.
You wont get fuel figures down till you wipe the smile off your face, enjoy the beast within

Bulbous
17th August 2013, 05:32 PM
Nice to hear. I need to do this, but I'm not sure how many O2 sensors I have.
It's a 2011 model, but it's Gulf spec. I've heard that the Middle East Patrols still only have 2. Hope so.

smicko
17th August 2013, 08:33 PM
OD they're Pacemakers, and yeah I'm in Perth too if you want to check out how mine was done.

oncedisturbed
17th August 2013, 11:06 PM
That would be sweet, will pm you and try work something out

smicko
20th August 2013, 12:06 AM
Holy mother of God this thing is NUTS, once I get over the fact that I can put three tonne sideways at will I'll have a crack at economy. I reckon I'm using half to two thirds of the throttle I was previously using at 100k's and it's a hell of a lot quicker in getting there. It's really, really hard to not speed. Not so good when you're on double or nothing.

PoorKing
23rd August 2013, 04:27 AM
could you pm me where you had it done, been looking into getting this done, i'm in perth as well

smicko
24th August 2013, 12:24 AM
Give me a bell if you like PK, it's a tad complicated.
Cheers
Mick 0416 932 218

shaun100
24th August 2013, 03:05 PM
Id be keen to know where also. Im Looking at extractors and full system gor my 02 GU 4.8 :-)

oncedisturbed
24th August 2013, 03:08 PM
I got the cat back done at Mettam's in Balcatta

shaun100
24th August 2013, 03:40 PM
was just a catback worthwhile?

Cheers

oncedisturbed
24th August 2013, 04:41 PM
has made a difference as there were no extractors available at the time for the 09 model

Skitzyrex
24th August 2013, 10:38 PM
Hey smicko, where did you go for fitting and roughly how much?

smicko
25th August 2013, 11:39 PM
Mine was done as R&D by someone so as he could advise other fitters how to do it. Any fitter will be able to do it, they'll just need the parts from the bloke that fitted mine.

Basically it goes from extractors into twin hi flow cats then into the secondary which is 3" , the third cat is removed from the system, then main muffler and a resonator out the tail end.

Torque and throttle response has dramatically improved, especially in the bottom end, it revs far more freely and drives so much better. It is loud, not unbearable but it certainly barks. I just went through my first tank post fitting of 95ron e10 and it returned 4.8k's a litre, much the same as before. I refilled with 98ron premium so I'll see if that makes a difference.

I've been asked not to give out the guy that did mines details online as he is a supplier not a fitter (anymore) but my number is in this thread above and I'm happy to pass the info along verbally, same deal with price I'll pass that verbally so that you know whether you're getting stitched or not. As above, any of you are welcome to check mine out and have a spin to see if you want to invest the coin to do it.
Cheers
Mick

smicko
25th August 2013, 11:42 PM
has made a difference as there were no extractors available at the time for the 09 model

The extractors used are the same as for pre '07 it just needs a bit of custom pipe work to tie it all together.

Skitzyrex
26th August 2013, 11:00 PM
Cheers mate

amro74
12th October 2013, 10:05 AM
Hi steve
i am from dubai as well and all models here is having two sensors only < by the way where you do your service in dubai

Bulbous
12th October 2013, 04:37 PM
Hi steve
i am from dubai as well and all models here is having two sensors only < by the way where you do your service in dubai

Yeah, I found out about the 2 sensors when my muffler broke a about a month ago. I got some headers and a drainpipe fitted down at a place in Um Ramool. It certainly made a difference. The car is much more responsive now. This is just an interim step for me. Early next year I will get a full exhaust done at Skyline exhausts (Fox) in Dubai.
For servicing, I am trying to maintain the warranty on the car so I still get it done at the dealer. Soon as the warranty is expired I will take it to a guy called Rafakat in Sharjah. (+971 50 650 7520). He has a very good reputation with Patrols. A lot of Emiratis take their cars there.

amro74
12th October 2013, 06:28 PM
steve,
thank you so much for the info and i am really happy that i joined this forum alot of good guys like are here
regards