PDA

View Full Version : Headlights Automatic Turn Off

Royce
16th August 2013, 01:35 AM
im chasing a simple module that will turn off my headlights automatically when the car turns off, having a turbo timer i have a tendency to forget to turn off my lights during the day after country travel. anyone know of a good product?

Shaun 4x4
16th August 2013, 02:29 AM
I was thinking the esact same thing as I put my turbo timer in last weekend.

I was just gonna but a relay from super cheap. Cut the headlight power cable after the switch and use an accessory power supply to power the relay. That way once the accessory circuit is turned of the head lights will turn off.

Only down side is you won't be able to turn the head lights on without the key turned to accessory.
Beats a flat battery tho.

Other wise I know there is a modular you can buy that turns the head light on when the car is started and turns them of when you turn the car of. But then you can't turn them of when the car is on

Shaun 4x4
16th August 2013, 02:32 AM
This is the modual.
Not cheap tho

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-GU-Patrol-Y61-GENUINE-Auto-Headlights-Kit-Part-NIB2409-VD100CK-/300892581298

Clunk
16th August 2013, 02:37 AM
Here's a link to a simple time delay circuit which i suppose could be switched by your turbo timer itself (maybe) http://www.hobby-circuits.com/circuits/automotive/automotive-light/720/car-headlights-timer-circuit-schematic........ There's also ones which use Time Delay relays so that you can actually adjust the "off" delay but I havent had a proper look for one yet.

Theres also some for sale on fleabay but havent a clue if theyre any good http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAR-TIMER-SWITCH-TIME-RELAY-DELAY-OFF-CAR-LIGHTS-UNIVERSAL-KIT-1-105s-10A-12V/271203168131?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3 D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D588753662855580988%26pid%3D 100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D1510 97956118%26

Royce
16th August 2013, 05:06 AM
cheers for the feed back guys.

Royce
16th August 2013, 05:07 AM
i dont suppose you know anyone from perth that is competent at NADS instillation? ive got all the gear on order from ebay coming in over the next few days and was hoping to get it all sorted once my turbo issue has been sussed out.

04OFF
16th August 2013, 08:33 AM
You could wire the headlight relay to turn the lights on with ignition, so if the car is running the lights are on ,as soon as you turn the engine off the lights go off.

Lots of government vehicles are wired this way.

04OFF
16th August 2013, 08:35 AM
You could wire the headlight relay to turn the lights on with ignition, so if the car is running the lights are on ,as soon as you turn the engine off the lights go off.

Lots of fleet vehicles are wired this way.

Royce
16th August 2013, 01:49 PM
im not real keen in wiring it up like that 04off, just in case of emergency, or fishing on the beach and just want my headlights on and not the entire car.

Shaun 4x4
16th August 2013, 02:06 PM
That's why I said use you accessorie circuit and you won't need to have the ignition on, just accessory.

That's what I'll be doing anyways

04OFF
16th August 2013, 02:19 PM
im not real keen in wiring it up like that 04off, just in case of emergency, or fishing on the beach and just want my headlights on and not the entire car.

You still retain the factory headlight set up, all you are doing is activating the headlight relay automatically from a different location, so now Headlights come on when IGN is on "regardless" of headlight switch position.

"But", if you turn the Headlight switch ON with the IGN OFF, the headlights will still come on just as normal.

That's why I said use you accessorie circuit and you won't need to have the ignition on, just accessory.

That's what I'll be doing anyways

But then if you are sitting in the car waiting for someone, and decide you want to listen to the radio, your headlights will be on ! (not a good idea)

Royce
16th August 2013, 02:52 PM
awesome shaun. when you do yours can you take loads of photos so i can copy what you have done? also have you or do you know anyone from perth that is competent and knows there stuff at doing NADS instillations

Royce
16th August 2013, 03:01 PM
04OFF so if the light dial is off the lights will come on ONLY when the engine is running? and not when the ignition is in the acc position? so like you say i can listen to the radio without having headlamps on? because i have a large sound system in it for base camp and with that plus headlights makes for a flat battery and even more pissed off neighbours

04OFF
16th August 2013, 04:21 PM
04OFF so if the light dial is off the lights will come on ONLY when the engine is running? and not when the ignition is in the acc position? so like you say i can listen to the radio without having headlamps on? because i have a large sound system in it for base camp and with that plus headlights makes for a flat battery and even more pissed off neighbours

Correct ! ,

ACC = no headlights (unless you turn the headlights on as per normal.)

IGN = lights ON regardless of headlight switch position. (so leave headlight switch off, and they will go on and off automatically)

The set up (below) is good because it has a short delay before the lights come on, so you are not straining the battery under start conditions (bit expensive tho)

http://www.redarc.com.au/products/product/daytime-running-lights-controller/

Shaun 4x4
16th August 2013, 08:32 PM
You still retain the factory headlight set up, all you are doing is activating the headlight relay automatically from a different location, so now Headlights come on when IGN is on "regardless" of headlight switch position.

"But", if you turn the Headlight switch ON with the IGN OFF, the headlights will still come on just as normal.

But then if you are sitting in the car waiting for someone, and decide you want to listen to the radio, your headlights will be on ! (not a good idea)

No they wont if the lights are still turned to the of position.
As you would cut the wire that would go from the light switch to the origanal relay.

Shaun 4x4
16th August 2013, 08:35 PM
awesome shaun. when you do yours can you take loads of photos so i can copy what you have done? also have you or do you know anyone from perth that is competent and knows there stuff at doing NADS instillations

I will try to get some.

Also i dont know anyone that has done a nads install from perth.
I am in the middle of doing my own nads install.
I have done the catch can, boost and egt gauge.
Gonna moniter that for a little while to see whats been going on.
Then i will install the dawes and needle.
If you have the same stuff i have i can guide you through it.
Its pretty simple

Winnie
16th August 2013, 08:35 PM
Could you not run a second trigger wire from the ignition position to the headlight relay? So when your key is in off or acc, you can use the headlight stalk but when you start the car they will be on no matter the stalk position?

Royce
16th August 2013, 10:39 PM
what about something like this? http://www.modifystreet.com/Universal-Auto-On-Off-Headlights-Sensor-w-Switch.html

DX grunt
16th August 2013, 10:58 PM
Ask anybody with an ex Telstra vehicle - except me. lol.

Our head lights automatically turn on about 10 seconds after the ignition is turned on and automatically turn off about 10 seconds after the engine is turned off.

This happens only when the light switch is in the 'OFF' position. Spotlights only work when the light switch is in the 'ON' position.

Rossco

Royce
16th August 2013, 10:59 PM
I am in the middle of doing my own nads install.
I have done the catch can, boost and egt gauge.
Gonna moniter that for a little while to see whats been going on.
Then i will install the dawes and needle.
If you have the same stuff i have i can guide you through it.
Its pretty simple

i have VDO pyro and boost gauges, Mann Hummel catch can, Tognella needle valve and then high pressure dawes valve from america, i figure they are all pretty much the same. and just a run of the mill EGR blanking plate.

im hoping to get a cross country 4x4 intercooler next week as well, coz ive just found out my intercooler atm is leaking. so im going to try and tackle doing that myself aswell, it looks pretty straight forward.

any help or advice or fotos you have to chare would be awesome.

patrol2.8
16th August 2013, 11:44 PM
bit late but this is the unit im thinking about not only does the lights but will turn wipers on automatically as well
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190822894013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Royce
16th August 2013, 11:59 PM
bit late but this is the unit im thinking about not only does the lights but will turn wipers on automatically as well
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190822894013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

never too late mate. cheers for the link. i think the wiper thing is a bit of a gimmik, and one more complication that could eff up. i think the day i cant tell if its raining i should probably stop driving.

firm351
17th August 2013, 01:32 AM
Ask anybody with an ex Telstra vehicle - except me. lol.

Our head lights automatically turn on about 10 seconds after the ignition is turned on and automatically turn off about 10 seconds after the engine is turned off.

This happens only when the light switch is in the 'OFF' position. Spotlights only work when the light switch is in the 'ON' position.

Rossco

My work ute is the same as Rossco described it has a redarc key on lights on module fitted. You can turn the lights on as normal with the ignition off and once the key is in the ON position the lights come after 10 or so seconds. To use high beam you need to turn the headlight switch on first.

04OFF
17th August 2013, 06:25 AM
No they wont if the lights are still turned to the of position.
As you would cut the wire that would go from the light switch to the origanal relay.

Sorry mate, but im still missing the point as to why a ACC trigger, is more advantageous than a IGN trigger then ?

Shaun 4x4
17th August 2013, 11:22 PM
Sorry mate, but im still missing the point as to why a ACC trigger, is more advantageous than a IGN trigger then ?

So then you don't have to have your lights on all the time when the car is turned on.
I understand your way but people don't always want there lights on during the day.

My way you can still turn them off when the car is on.
Only down side you can't turn them on unless you have the key to acc or you run a bypass switch to be able to turn them on when the key isn't turned to acc.

So I guess it comes down to what the op wants.
But from the original post he asked for auto turning off head lights

Shaun 4x4
17th August 2013, 11:28 PM
i have VDO pyro and boost gauges, Mann Hummel catch can, Tognella needle valve and then high pressure dawes valve from america, i figure they are all pretty much the same. and just a run of the mill EGR blanking plate.

im hoping to get a cross country 4x4 intercooler next week as well, coz ive just found out my intercooler atm is leaking. so im going to try and tackle doing that myself aswell, it looks pretty straight forward.

any help or advice or fotos you have to chare would be awesome.

I didn't take any photos at all sorry.
Yer I have the same catch can. Very simple to install. The rest is different tho.
Yer my Intercooler is leaking as well.
Intercooler is very simple to do.

Best advice I can give you is search the hell out of this forum for nads info, I got everything I needed with pictures and everything.

I am yet to do the egr block, Dawes and needle valve as I wanted to monster the boost and egt before to we what they've been doing

Royce
18th August 2013, 03:51 AM
im assuming all pyro and boost gauges are pretty much the same idea, positive, negative to run back lighting and then either air line for boost, or temp probe for pyro running from the engine bay to the gauges. i will deff be researching the sh#t out of nads and trying to get as many pics as possible, as i know very little about auto electricity. so even if someone had my nipple in a twist i couldn't tell them how to wire a gauge to save my poor little nip nip.
i thought about monitoring to see what the differance is but with the issues ive been having and how new the engine is i dont want to waste more time then i already have. im just going to bolt it all in at once.

04OFF
18th August 2013, 10:21 AM
So then you don't have to have your lights on all the time when the car is turned on.
I understand your way but people don't always want there lights on during the day.

My way you can still turn them off when the car is on.
Only down side you can't turn them on unless you have the key to acc or you run a bypass switch to be able to turn them on when the key isn't turned to acc.So I guess it comes down to what the op wants.
But from the original post he asked for auto turning off head lights

The way is see it tho, (sorry mate, just tring to understand ) regardless of any other switches relays you may be using, the ACC circuit is "powered" while the IGN is on anyway ?, so if you have a overide switch to control the lights while the trigger/control line is powered, it would "overide"just the same powered from ACC or IGN ?

So if you are happy to have a extra "manual" overide switch as well, then surely you would wire the trigger through IGN, and now use the manual overide switch to simply bypass the whole relay "alltogether", this would effectivly return the whole system back to factory while the switch is off. (then you can have no lights in the day etc)

This way you dont have any of the downside's (such as the one you mentioned above)

You could also make it, so every time you re-start the car, it defaults back to "auto headlights" ,so you would have to manually deactivate the function off every time, then at least you cant forget to turn it on.

Shaun 4x4
18th August 2013, 12:45 PM
im assuming all pyro and boost gauges are pretty much the same idea, positive, negative to run back lighting and then either air line for boost, or temp probe for pyro running from the engine bay to the gauges. i will deff be researching the sh#t out of nads and trying to get as many pics as possible, as i know very little about auto electricity. so even if someone had my nipple in a twist i couldn't tell them how to wire a gauge to save my poor little nip nip.
i thought about monitoring to see what the differance is but with the issues ive been having and how new the engine is i dont want to waste more time then i already have. im just going to bolt it all in at once.

Gauges are normally mechanical or digital.
Mechanical being that the boost line and egt prob will run directly to the gauge.
Digital being the boost line and egt probe run back to control box which then sends an electrical signal up to gauges. (That's the way ive gone). I used autron gauges and equipment.
Got twin volt and twin amp read out to.

As for you negs they just get grounded to the chassis/metal work of the vehicle and yes you need to find a power supply for the lighting.
I just tapped into the back of the engine warm up switch on the dash as its directly below the the gauges.

Shaun 4x4
18th August 2013, 12:46 PM
Royce, what exactly do you want from your head lights?

Shaun 4x4
18th August 2013, 12:54 PM
The way is see it tho, (sorry mate, just tring to understand ) regardless of any other switches relays you may be using, the ACC circuit is "powered" while the IGN is on anyway ?, so if you have a overide switch to control the lights while the trigger/control line is powered, it would "overide"just the same powered from ACC or IGN ?

So if you are happy to have a extra "manual" overide switch as well, then surely you would wire the trigger through IGN, and now use the manual overide switch to simply bypass the whole relay "alltogether", this would effectivly return the whole system back to factory while the switch is off. (then you can have no lights in the day etc)

This way you dont have any of the downside's (such as the one you mentioned above)

You could also make it, so every time you re-start the car, it defaults back to "auto headlights" ,so you would have to manually deactivate the function off every time, then at least you cant forget to turn it on.

Yes have the override switch in there would make both ways possible with out the draw back from one or the other.

I just believe the simplest way, in my mind is to do it the way i stated to begin with. That would work best for me.

If Royce doesn't want the lights on all the time while driving then my way work, downside is you need the key turned to acc to turn on the headlights

If he wants the lights on all the time when driving then your way works better, as then they can still be turned on when the car is off and no key is needed at all. Only down side to this is that lights can't be turned of while car is started.

Royce
19th August 2013, 12:08 AM
Royce, what exactly do you want from your head lights?

i want my headlights to function exactly as they do, but when i leave them on accidentally when the turbo timer has finished cooling the engine down i want the lights to turn off automatically.

SKID
29th October 2015, 04:06 AM
Install a DEI 545T, night light. Has a sensor for when it starts to get dark it turns your headlights on, has a toggle switch so you can turn the unit on or off, when engine is off no lights unless you turn them on normally, when unit is turned on can turn on headlights do you have high beam...

Kon
12th April 2020, 01:03 AM
i want my headlights to function exactly as they do, but when i leave them on accidentally when the turbo timer has finished cooling the engine down i want the lights to turn off automatically.
I’m in the same boat, I just want auto off headlights, leave them in the ON position all the time, when I turn off the ignition & leave the car the headlights turn off automatically within 30-60 seconds...

Win-win = no more flat battery
Win-win = great device for country driving as outback roads should always drive with headlights on

Basically it’s a switch on & forget without the need to worry about battery draining