PDA

View Full Version : Should Bloodyaussie....??

Bloodyaussie
15th August 2013, 10:01 PM
Now many of you know I have blown a head gasket and it is quickly getting worse..

George and I have been going over the options and funds and time have played a major part in my decision to go with a rebuild of my head with gas valves and a cam to match with all new lifters and chains and so on..

Now was thinking of turboing this work later on but a few of you know I have wanted to do the diesel conversion but the funds have not allowed it but deep down this is what I have wanted to do..

Now there may be a chance of an engine with 300,000plus K's on the clock NA ... it is a big job.. going from Petrol/gas???

The wife and I have not discussed this at all but she knows it is there but to what degree??

???????????? I dont know.... I think for ease and so on I just rebuild what I have???????????

Yes Lucas lots of?????????????

Winnie
15th August 2013, 10:06 PM
If you can afford it without putting stress on more important things, then do what you can to do the conversion. Otherwise repair what you've got and save up for a year or whatever it takes...

Just buy a diesel and swap all your stuff into it!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2013, 10:09 PM
I have a mate that has done the TB to TD conversion and happy to put you in contact with him. Damn it there was a GQ TD42 listed on MudRhino tonight for $3500!!!! Lasted 3 minutes!

How much to rebuild the TB and then Turbo it?
How much to buy a good TD42 NA and convert it?

How much will the wife be happy with?

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2013, 10:10 PM

That's what I told him too Winnie. Keep his car until he finds a nice diesel then strip his and sell it as a nice Granddad car.

BigRAWesty
15th August 2013, 10:12 PM
not to get a sale, but what needs changing to go diesel? i cant think of to much. radiator has different outlets from what ive seen on the net. fuel pump and setup is all on the motor so no biggie there.
not sure about bell housing to gearbox??

just drain out petrol and add diesel.. maybe the air filter system to, if you turbo the TD then you'll be changing it anyway..

Ow, vacuum system... not sure if much changes there between the 2 motors?? I know the TD's run vac assisted brakes and clutch and the vac pump is on the alternator.. Not sure about the TB setup..

tough call

pearcey
15th August 2013, 10:14 PM
G`day BA.
I don`t have a problem with your rebuild but be very careful with the cam as I have seen a couple of very mild grinds which did not work and the guys went back to a standard grind. 2 were done by very reputable shops one even replaced their cam at no cost to the owner.

Winnie
15th August 2013, 10:14 PM
Talk with Rossco while we're at Licola.

Bloodyaussie
15th August 2013, 10:17 PM
G`day BA.
I don`t have a problem with your rebuild but be very careful with the cam as I have seen a couple of very mild grinds which did not work and the guys went back to a standard grind. 2 were done by very reputable shops one even replaced their cam at no cost to the owner.

Yes I have spoken to the guy at Crow cams and understand the issue... one big problem is people dont know the difference and get the wrong cam for there car... I would go with the Gas/tow cam from them as the other is for an S model and makes the EFI a lumpy bag of shit!!!

Clunk
15th August 2013, 10:22 PM
not to get a sale, but what needs changing to go diesel? i cant think of to much. radiator has different outlets from what ive seen on the net. fuel pump and setup is all on the motor so no biggie there.
not sure about bell housing to gearbox??

just drain out petrol and add diesel.. maybe the air filter system to, if you turbo the TD then you'll be changing it anyway..

Ow, vacuum system... not sure if much changes there between the 2 motors?? I know the TD's run vac assisted brakes and clutch and the vac pump is on the alternator.. Not sure about the TB setup..

tough call

Would you have you change the writing loom and ecu's too?

MudRunnerTD
15th August 2013, 10:27 PM
Talk with Rossco while we're at Licola.

Good call he has done this exact conversion in his Jonathan.

trekster
15th August 2013, 10:27 PM
Sell it and buy a GU :D

Winnie
15th August 2013, 10:28 PM
Sell it and buy a GU :D

No comments from the peanut gallery!

Bloodyaussie
15th August 2013, 10:33 PM
Yes lets not start that shit...

I was planning on getting all close to Rossco on this trip!!!

Winnie
15th August 2013, 10:36 PM
I'll still like you whether you're driving a TB or a TD. But not if you buy a GU lmao

trekster
15th August 2013, 10:39 PM
Winnie will *love* you if you buy a GU ;)

Alitis007
15th August 2013, 11:04 PM
As much as Jonathan wants a GU ;) he loves his GQ a lil bit more.

I say GO A V8 diesel, petrol electric what ever lol.

Not very helpful i know :)

Clunk
15th August 2013, 11:07 PM
Now many of you know I have blown a head gasket and it is quickly getting worse..

Maybe you should get on the wacky tabacky mate, will help chill you out a bit ;):D

Alitis007
15th August 2013, 11:28 PM
Maybe you should get on the wacky tabacky mate, will help chill you out a bit ;):D

We'll be calling him mellow yellow not cuddles then hahahaha

mudski
15th August 2013, 11:34 PM
Do the minimum that you can to the TB and save your coin I reckon for an engine alone or a complete stock TD42 GQ and swap everything over.

Clunk
16th August 2013, 12:01 AM
We'll be calling him mellow yellow not cuddles then hahahaha

awwwwww bless him hahahahahaha

lucky I snipped the quote there though and not just after "head".................... that would have just been way too obvious lol

krbrooking
16th August 2013, 03:15 AM
BA I think you should do what is needed to the head and then down the track do the conversion. As if you turbo and gas yours I believe you will be happy with it but not as content as you would/could be with the TD and you will regret doing it as you then will find it hard to justify doing the conversion after spending all that money on turbo and gas fit out. If you end up doing that then you may as well sell it and buy a 4.2 GU and be as happy as a pig in ¥€£%.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

BigRAWesty
16th August 2013, 04:29 AM
Would you have you change the writing loom and ecu's too?

Good though.. How much is needed to run the TD42?? I thought f-all.. Everything apart from the starter and shut Off is mechanical.

fracster
16th August 2013, 09:56 AM
I think all you guys taking the pee out of BA are bang out of order, you know what a sensitive soul he is, easily upset and gentile.

:wink:

Bob
16th August 2013, 10:00 AM
Hi Jonathon

If you are going to recondition the Head I would reconmend Cave Hill Engine Services in Croydon as they supplied me with a Reconditioned Head that was set up for Gas which I am very happy about

http://www.cavehillengines.com.au/

threedogs
16th August 2013, 10:57 AM
Turbo the petrol not much will pass you

Ben-e-boy
16th August 2013, 12:16 PM
Turboing the petrol won't cost much less than the diesel

mudnut
16th August 2013, 01:16 PM
I think all you guys taking the pee out of BA are bang out of order, you know what a sensitive soul he is, easily upset and gentile.

:wink:

Too right, Governor...:P

taslucas
16th August 2013, 01:20 PM
Turboing the petrol won't cost much less than the diesel

And instead of a slug you'll have a mud roosting petrol engine:-)

mudnut
16th August 2013, 01:33 PM
Apart from the head gasket, the tb42 is an awesome donk. Is it possible to get a turbo that will suit both the tb and td? That way you can get what you need done and save up. If you go down the gas path, then a gas injection system on a td would make it very economical too, as it raises the diesel fuel burn by at least 7%. Just my 2c worth.

nissannewby
16th August 2013, 02:00 PM
If you have both vehicles it should be a straight forward swap as you can get the looms,dash everything etc etc. The swap itself wouldn't be to hard the manual boxes are the same. However a converted car is never the same as something that is genuine. While only minor there always seems to be small things that raise their head. I would repair what you have and if your keen on the diesel then take all your good gear of yours and try and find a nice tidy na diesel.

threedogs
16th August 2013, 02:09 PM
Im over converted 4x4s, forever working on them sorting out small things,
Your Patrol will end up like Dads axe, 6 heads and 4 handles later its still Dads axe.
Fix what you have and keep an eye out for a 4.2 diesel when you have the money

happygu
16th August 2013, 04:09 PM
BA,
You need to ask yourself some questions....

Is yours still driveable?
How much will it cost to fix the original motor?
How much will it cost to fix and modify the original motor?
Are you going to be happy driving a stock 4.2 diesel? If not, how much will it cost to get it up to a standard you will be happy with?
How much will the changeover cost, to get another vehicle with the engine of choice?

I am also generally in the camp where I don't like and wouldn't normally buy a vehicle that has had a different engine than what it came out of the factory with ( there may be some exceptions when it comes to buying an engine that you can't normally get - but it would have to have the factory look ).

I think that you would be extremely happy with a Turboed 4.2 Petty, with Gas, as it will be more economical than diesel and have heaps of grunt. Just need to work out the costs...

Mic

boots
16th August 2013, 05:11 PM
My opinion is to fix what you have for now mate . Leave it stock . Less stress .

healy
16th August 2013, 05:22 PM
Just fix what you got johno it will be cheaper

PMC
16th August 2013, 07:07 PM
If you can afford it without putting stress on more important things, then do what you can to do the conversion. Otherwise repair what you've got and save up for a year or whatever it takes...

G'evening Bloodyaussie,

I agree with both Winnie and MR's comments!

PS, remember the old "nissannewby" adage!, do it once, do it right !

Regards,

RLI

93patrol
16th August 2013, 07:34 PM
Another question is can you afford to have the car off the road for a week rather than a day because the head can be removed and replaced in a day but it will probably take a week to do the conversion.

IMO fix the engine you have and slowly buy thee bits for the conversion and when you have them booshka smash them in job done

(Disclaimer I have been drinking)

Chris79
16th August 2013, 09:42 PM
Unless doing the work yourself with a complete doner car, I imagine the conversion would end up very pricey. Not worth it imo.

Unless planning a serious amount of remote touring, TB all the way :bananarock:
Why would you want to downgrade otherwise lol.

Bloodyaussie
16th August 2013, 11:17 PM
OK I have thought about this long and hard... I have many factors contributing to my decision mostly time and money... but I think I am going with repairing my head and fitting a new cam...

I have so many things on and the diesel mod will take up a bit of time and eat into my childrens education fund so will head full steam into the petrol rebuild.

George will be doing the work for me and Irish is lending me his Maverick so I can keep working and after I have done my car we will hit Petes car hard whether he likes it or not???

We are going with a gas cam from Crow Cams and the head will have the hardened valves to cope with the gas.... what comes next I am not 100% sure... turbo??? dedicated gas?????? who knows????

So guys thanks for all the replies but I have made up my mind.... cheers!!

cgm
17th August 2013, 06:55 AM
... but I think I am going with repairing my head and fitting a new cam...
So guys thanks for all the replies but I have made up my mind.... cheers!!

Makes sense BA, good choice. It can quickly become expensive to head to Diesel now. One day if you can save some cash you might find a diesel with some coin already spent and you should still get something selling the petrol. Similar to what Winnie did. For short term this has got to be better.

BigRAWesty
17th August 2013, 09:16 AM
X2 mate. Sounds like the wright move for your situation.
Coming from experience thought (with a Ford) I had the head done up, New over size valves and cam. Was insane. But got blow by the rings.. Engine only had 250,000 on it so not old in my eyes..
So from experience I'd suggest while the head is Off invest in a new set if rings to..

happygu
17th August 2013, 09:40 AM
Sounds good BA,

I think you are making the right decision, but it is always harder to know that from a distance.

Mic

Alitis007
17th August 2013, 10:21 AM
Coming from experience thought (with a Ford) I had the head done up, New over size valves and cam. Was insane. But got blow by the rings.. Engine only had 250,000 on it so not old in my eyes..
So from experience I'd suggest while the head is Off invest in a new set if rings to..

But that was a Ford, they keep mechanics in business lol i remember when i was an apprentice we had a 1 week stint of doing only heads on falcons from EB to EL hahaha

taslucas
17th August 2013, 10:35 AM

My TB42 had a reco head put on in 2003 (before I had it, no idea how many ks on it at the time). It's still running the original bottom end and although it's getting a bit down on compression especially when it's cold, it's doing pretty good with 430,000 k's on it:-)